The Beatification of Doug Wilson

Beatification now?

• Total voters

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
That's literally 99% of us at various times.

Which is scary.

Almost every big trade for top talent has top talent going both ways even if there is a clear winner sometimes. Tell me another GM that has gotten the likes of Jumbo, Boyle, Kane, EK65 and I'd argue Burns, since Seto was the big piece in that trade, for tweeners, picks and prospects. It can't be many if any.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Which is scary.

Almost every big trade for top talent has top talent going both ways even if there is a clear winner sometimes. Tell me another GM that has gotten the likes of Jumbo, Boyle, Kane, EK65 and I'd argue Burns, since Seto was the big piece in that trade, for tweeners, picks and prospects. It can't be many if any.

How about Peter Chiarelli is the exact opposite of Doug Wilson and is the one who gets fleeced for big name players while getting scraps.

Last edited:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I have always been a fan of DW, mostly because I just don't blame him for us not winning cups. There hasn't been a better GM in the NHL when it comes to maximizing his assets and winning trades. Despite how much we all love the Sharks, I still think it's a market that isn't a major draw for NHL players until they've actually played there. As an east coast Sharks fan I can tell you most people seem to still not really think of SJ much in the hockey discussion. I truly think most players grow up thinking of the Northeastern teams and Canadian teams. We have a hard time signing top stars even though we seem to always be a finalist these days. We also don't really draft high but DW constantly finds a way to get late round gems or maximize the value of depth players with trades. Even looking at this trade. Balcers and Demelo were both later round picks. Tierney was a 2nd round and Norris wasn't even an early first rounder. We parted with that to get the single best d-man of the last 10 years and a generational talent. Sure we threw in some picks that will likely be in the later portions of the rounds they're in, but this may be a bigger steal than the Jumbo trade. Just think, the DW has gotten 2 Norris winners, a league MVP and a guy who was a top offensive dman for years and the best player going the other way across all these deals was Marco Sturm. Cup or not, Wilson is legitimately a HOF quality GM. At this point I think we're just spoiled as Sharks fans with how our team is managed. It's time to get him and Jumbo their cups. Thank you DW, cuz I'm now super pumped for this season!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have always been a fan of DW, mostly because I just don't blame him for us not winning cups. There hasn't been a better GM in the NHL when it comes to maximizing his assets and winning trades. Despite how much we all love the Sharks, I still think it's a market that isn't a major draw for NHL players until they've actually played there. As an east coast Sharks fan I can tell you most people seem to still not really think of SJ much in the hockey discussion. I truly think most players grow up thinking of the Northeastern teams and Canadian teams. We have a hard time signing top stars even though we seem to always be a finalist these days. We also don't really draft high but DW constantly finds a way to get late round gems or maximize the value of depth players with trades. Even looking at this trade. Balcers and Demelo were both later round picks. Tierney was a 2nd round and Norris wasn't even an early first rounder. We parted with that to get the single best d-man of the last 10 years and a generational talent. Sure we threw in some picks that will likely be in the later portions of the rounds they're in, but this may be a bigger steal than the Jumbo trade. Just think, the DW has gotten 2 Norris winners, a league MVP and a guy who was a top offensive dman for years and the best player going the other way across all these deals was Marco Sturm. Cup or not, Wilson is legitimately a HOF quality GM. At this point I think we're just spoiled as Sharks fans with how our team is managed. It's time to get him and Jumbo their cups. Thank you DW, cuz I'm now super pumped for this season!

This board spends most of it's hate on DW on what is going to happen, not what has or is happening. Been that way for 5+ years now.

According to this board 5 years ago our window would have closed 2 years ago.

IIRC, many vocal poster here said last year it would be closed this year before the Kane & Karlsson Trades.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
This board spends most of it's hate on DW on what is going to happen, not what has or is happening. Been that way for 5+ years now.

According to this board 5 years ago our window would have closed 2 years ago.

IIRC, many vocal poster here said last year it would be closed this year before the Kane & Karlsson Trades.

I think, understandably, most people are assuming these crazy trades are just lightning strikes, and not something that can be relied upon. Most teams, in our situation, would be tanking right now because they simply would not be able to make these trades, ever, let alone over and over again.

Apparently though, against conventional wisdom, we can rely on these things from Wilson. I think, at this point, we have to just assume he's a godamn wizard or something.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I think, understandably, most people are assuming these crazy trades are just lightning strikes, and not something that can be relied upon. Most teams, in our situation, would be tanking right now because they simply would not be able to make these trades, ever, let alone over and over again.

Apparently though, against conventional wisdom, we can rely on these things from Wilson. I think, at this point, we have to just assume he's a godamn wizard or something.

My viewpoint has been that DW would keep this team competitive with a possible shot here and there at the silver cup. I was willing to accept that for a team in a market such as it is. But this has even exceeded my expectations.

Maybe even Doug's :biglaugh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The thing is, it is very difficult to predict that these things will become available. Joe Thornton and Erik Karlsson are the two best players to change hands outside of the draft in the past 13 years. One could easily make the argument that Burns is 3rd, but he does have competition between Hall, Seguin, and Tavares; Thornton and Karlsson are on another level. In fact, off the top of my head, the only players of that caliber or higher to be traded in NHL history are Gretzky and Lindros.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The thing is, it is very difficult to predict that these things will become available. Joe Thornton and Erik Karlsson are the two best players to change hands outside of the draft in the past 13 years. One could easily make the argument that Burns is 3rd, but he does have competition between Hall, Seguin, and Tavares; Thornton and Karlsson are on another level. In fact, off the top of my head, the only players of that caliber or higher to be traded in NHL history are Gretzky and Lindros.

Pitt traded Jagr to Washington, Pronger being traded and the Avs getting Roy sticks out too

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
It didn't work out but getting Heatley was also a big move

Thornton, Boyle, Heatley, Burns, now Karlsson

DW is a wizard when it comes to big trades. With him not making any other smaller moves, it was clear at some point he would make the big move everyone was waiting for. It was just a matter of when.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Okay, I figured I'd just get this fast-tracked here - I think we can all agree to waive the 5 year waiting period (or not?).

Glossing over the first couple of criteria, to the meat, the heart of canonization - the verified miracles.

Evidence:

- The first miracle: Nov 30th 2005, Joe Thornton - water in to wine
Verified, countless witnesses and testimony

- The second miracle: Jul 4th 2008, Dan Boyle - raised from the dead
Verified, Boyle himself bore witness to his rebirth

- The third miracle: Sept 13th 2018, Erik Karlsson - from bondage, through the desert (Ottawa)
Verified by Twitter.

What more proof do you need? Let us sing his praises and lay offerings at his feet. Or do you doubt?

Cast thy vote!
I always enjoy your posts Lovely Ludwig Van!
1535957208713.jpg

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Seems that has he has gotten progressively better at trading, he's gotten progressively worse with the contracts he gives out.

Not sure how you can say that. Hertl’s deal is looking pretty awesome right now, and Kane’s is looking pretty good too. Can’t win em all.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Doug can't be beatified until he performs his final miracle of Karl ascending to the kingdom of sharkdom after attaining the holy grail.

karlsson.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not sure how you can say that. Hertl’s deal is looking pretty awesome right now, and Kane’s is looking pretty good too. Can’t win em all.

And on that same token, Vlasic/Jones are looking like two of the worst in the NHL

Generally, if you give out 4 contracts, it’s not a good thing if you’ve got one great deal, one good deal, and two awful contracts in year 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad