The Battle of Albertaâ„¢ is Coming Back

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
oiler fans definitely need to take a step back here. We've been beyond awful for the last 9 years. Connor isn't going to come in a change that. Flames way better than the oilers

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Boston mafia is everywhere in western Canada... Chiarelli, Benning and Burke.

:laugh: :handclap:

Must say, as hockey fan, hope the Oilers meet the promise on paper, for that would be an awesome "back to the future" rivalry. Obviously, it will be different from the late '80s, version but still. Here's hoping McDavid proves all the wishful thinkers/petty haters wrong and he embraces Edmonton and flourishes there. (I think he will do both.) That happens and the rest of their talented young forwards take to consistent two-way play...and that team will be off and running (flying).

And that old rivalry remains the fiercest I ever saw. Watch five minutes of an Oilers/Flames playoff game on YouTube and you see more chippiness than you see in entire playoff series now. Messier, Hunter, et al. Yikes.

On a sidenote, as an objective observer, LOVE watching this Flames team. Talk about fast forwarding a rebuild and molding a team to one's own personality. Burke likes speed and truculence and that is what they bring. Refreshing to see an aggressive/physical approach in today's sanitized NHL. Much credit to Burke and Hartley, regardless where the Flames story ends this postseason.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Nobody wants to play in Edmonton even McDavid is probably counting the days till he can go to Toronto. Only way Edmonton can attract top end free agents is to overpay, and by doing that it will only speed up the ultimate cap demise they will face.

Trollmark*

Nobody wants to play in Edmonton even McDavid is probably counting the days till he can go to Toronto. Only way Edmonton can attract top end free agents is to overpay, and by doing that it will only speed up the ultimate cap demise they will face.

Did you miss the sarcasm smiley? Cause I don't think anyone would be writing this sensationalist bs a week after all the whiners already have and think anyone would take them seriously.

Please tell me you forgot the sarcasm smiley.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Looking at some of their best players in the next few years:

McDavid, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle, Draisatl, Nurse, Klefbom,

Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan, Poirier, Backlund, Hudler, Brodie, Gio,

this is going to be good. At the very least they can agree to kick the **** out of the Canucks whenever they play them.

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014

We got a homer.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Wasn't the same thing said by Leaf fans about Tavares/Stamkos?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
It's the same with teams like Calgary, and Winnipeg to we are at a disadvantage for attracting top FA's. I shouldn't have singled out Edmonton because it's a prairie thing more than anything. How many players have Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg on there no trade lists? A lot ....

I am excited for Edmonton, and I hope they can turn the team around, as fans with that much passion deserve something to actually cheer for.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey, I'm all for Edmonton getting better so they can beat Vancouver.

I hate Vancouver... So much.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
People are way too ridiculously premature in saying that the Oilers are going to be better. They're guaranteed McDavid through a lottery and suddenly it's "they're going to be amazing soon" just like most off-season in the last half a decade or so.

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
It will probably be more like the Slaughter of Alberta. The Flames won't stand a chance, unfortunately.

I'm picturing a McDavid-Bennett rivalry, where McDavid adamantly refuses to acknowledge any kind of rivalry exists and Bennett is shamelessly doing everything he can do to get under McDavid's skin.

McDavid and Bennett are actually good friends, I believe.

Bobby McKeyz

No Satisfaction
Sep 23, 2011
Edmonton, AB
As an Oil fan i'm getting excited, but i'll wait until we can actually ice a respectable blue line. Chia's got a lot o work to do but I have faith. The BoA will be less lopsided in the future that's for sure

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
It won't be right away, no. I meant more like three years from now.
In 3 years Monny and Bennett will be in full swing, as well as your othr young players, Gio will still be good and your young D like Brodie and russell will be entering their primes. Goaltending will still be strong.

The Flames are going to be very good.

I am hoping my team gets their feces together, those games will be like a trip back to my youth.

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
In 3 years Monny and Bennett will be in full swing, as well as your othr young players, Gio will still be good and your young D like Brodie and russell will be entering their primes. Goaltending will still be strong.

The Flames are going to be very good.

I am hoping my team gets their feces together, those games will be like a trip back to my youth.

Well, I don't think the Flames will be bad. I think they'll be a ~100 point team while the Oilers will be a ~120 point team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It will probably be more like the Slaughter of Alberta. The Flames won't stand a chance, unfortunately.

McDavid and Bennett are actually good friends, I believe.

That's one thing Hartley has done for the Flames - they don't understand when they're outmatched. It literally does not compute. They'd walk through coals and broken glass for him and it shows on the ice .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad