The Battle of Albertaâ„¢ is Coming Back

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Oiler fans really need to calm down.

Even with McDavid its going to take time for them to fix that blueline, fix their goaltending and fix their bottom 6.

Those things aren't cheap and it takes a while to develop.

The Oilers still have a ways to go before they're competitive.

Sitting here saying that they're going to smash the Flames and dominate the NHL only makes you look pretty sad.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary

Even with McDavid its going to take time for them to fix that blueline, fix their goaltending and fix their bottom 6.

Sitting here saying that they're going to smash the Flames and dominate the NHL only makes you look pretty sad.

Thread was started by a Flames fan who was excited that there might actually be something soon. No one's thinking Edmonton is going to dominate the NHL soon. We'd be happy with one win next year against you guys lol.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Agreed^^^^ This team still blows untll we get some d and a goalie but at least now there's people in place to make it happen

go canucks go*

Oilers will dominate the Flames for years. Flames don't come close imo.

a pony

Jan 28, 2010
Call me when the Oilers sniff a playoff spot at Thanksgiving.

Either country's.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Oilers don't make the playoffs next year but, IMO, neither do the Flames... both should be close though.

I think this battle will really start to heat up next year, followed by 3-5 years of a huge rivalry... god I miss those days!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would love to see the Battle of Alberta rekindled, but I'm not overly optimistic that it will resume next season. I have been hearing about the Oilers being a contender since they drafted Hall. It's too early to tell. Edmonton is getting a new arena, and it has many young prospects. Not need to rush.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Same stuff every off-season. According to their fans the Oilers will always be the next great team. Then the season starts and the tunes change.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Same stuff every off-season. According to their fans the Oilers will always be the next great team. Then the season starts and the tunes change.

I don't know which Oilers fans you've been listening to. On this board the Oil fans' hate for their own org/management has been pretty vicious.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
And this is why flames fans and some other fans bash us. Please wait until the season starts and see after November and December before we start exclaiming that the team is going the right direction.

I'm hopeful, but not going to jump the gun on this.

Who cares what bitter fans of other teams think?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I'll give you the blue line and in goal but there is nothing wrong with the Oilers bottom 6. They could go with something like

Draisaitl Lander Yakupov
Hendricks Gordon Klinkhammer/Pitlick

The latter line take more of the classical 3rd line shifts and the kids play against mostly bottom pairings and bottom 6 forwards.

For the record though it is not just the Oilers who have a long way to go to fully resurrect the old "Battle of Alberta". In those days, at the height of the BOA, the Oilers were the best team in the NHL and Calgary may well have been the second best. Calgary was also specifically built to play against the Oilers.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I am laughing at all these "SO MUCH BETTER" and "DYNASTY" comments.

Let's see how we improve our D, G, and forward grittiness, before the season starts. And then let's talk in November and see where they are standing.

9 years of this and I am not ready to accept success just yet.

Spot on.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
no team in the league has a better future than Edmonton. Start off with Cogliano-Schremp-Hemsky and follow it up with Paajarvi-Gagner-Eberle. Good luck, rest of the NHL.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

He was bawling his eyes out after the lottery. I don't think salty Toronto media should be used to prop up, or tear down either team.

I don't know which Oilers fans you've been listening to. On this board the Oil fans' hate for their own org/management has been pretty vicious.

We've been pretty quiet. Fans of other teams have loudly claimed our resurgence, then the threads where they do so, people would rip on Oiler fans who didn't even say anything. A lot of people on this site don't care to check on what team a person cheers for before blasting an entire fanbase.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Who cares what bitter fans of other teams think?

Noones bitter of the Oilers track record you guys are just being ridiculous with the dynasty stuff and the idea that you'll be much better than the Flames in one or two seasons. There's a poll on your boards every season where you guys think you'll be better than the Flames. It's only happened once, last season.

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
I could really care less, the oilers lost a huge chunk of there fanbase during this cluster-f. I really doubt that changing GM's is gonna make several individuals who dont know a lick of defense to play a team game.

Besides, after 4 1st overall picks.. it would just be a dirty win anyways. They should have to give 4 cups back at this point.

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014
I could really care less, the oilers lost a huge chunk of there fanbase during this cluster-f. I really doubt that changing GM's is gonna make several individuals who dont know a lick of defense to play a team game.

Besides, after 4 1st overall picks.. it would just be a dirty win anyways. They should have to give 4 cups back at this point.

Meh if the Oilers are competitive idgaf what people say to "justify" their winning.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
If they're smart, the oilers won't have that same core in 2 years, they'd have trade a couple peices to fill big holes. Salary caps gonna bite them, but it'll be a damn good rivalry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->