The Battle of Albertaâ„¢ is Coming Back

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Modern-day comparables for these two teams:

Flames - 2011 & 2012 Boston Bruins (Gaudreau + Backlund = Bergeron)
Oilers - 2015 Dallas Stars Minus Klingberg

Our top 6 will smash the ever loving crap out of the Stars as early as next year.

Agreed that we have some serious question marks in net and on D. In Chiarelli we trust?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's one thing Hartley has done for the Flames - they don't understand when they're outmatched. It literally does not compute. They'd walk through coals and broken glass for him and it shows on the ice .

I'll agree with that. He should be coach of the year.

Trollmark*

*pukes*

I'm on the Flames 2015 playoffs fun bus. You guys may have McDavid, but we have blackjack and hookers. I slashed the tires on the Oilers fun bus, by the way. Your golfing trip is ruined. ;)

Ya that seems to be the status quo of the Red Mile lately.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Impressive. So I can write you down for at least a 30 point improvement in the standings, and realistically, to smash the Stars, at least 15 more - So a 45 point improvement next year? What's the over/under for 107 points?

I meant our top 6 will be much better than the Stars top 6. Their D, bottom 6, and goaltending are much better.

Shouldn't you be hanging out on a power line pooping on cars somewhere?

flamesforcup*

Our top 6 will smash the ever loving crap out of the Stars as early as next year.

Agreed that we have some serious question marks in net and on D. In Chiarelli we trust?

That top 6 that ur oilers would "smash" was second in the league for goals. Get out of the basement before u start attacking other teams :laugh:

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014
God some of the things Oilers fans here are saying are embarassing. Let's wait until the season begins to assess where we're at shall we?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Gotta feel sorry for those few delusional Oilers like you who actually think their rebuild is going better than ours.

We're in year 2 and made the playoffs. What exactly have you guys been doing? That's right, picking top 3 every year (excluding 7th OA in the lockout season).

You finished 25th and 27th in the previous 2 seasons. How could you possibly still be in year 2 of your rebuild?

Is it really us being cocky, or is much the fact that the Oilers haven't done jack squat for 9 years for you all to make ridiculous statements that you're better than us?

9 years is an ugly stretch, no doubt. You guys went through 5 years of irrelevancy prior to this surprise season. It would be foolish for Oil fans to speak of our rebuild going better, I agree, but it is equally foolish for Flames fans to think they are somehow a superior team. We didn't just add McDavid, we added an actual NHL GM while subtracting Lowe, MacT and Eakins (earlier in the season). Many anticipate we'll be adding a good coach once we see what happens in round 1. I would have to think Flames fans above all else would realize the benefit of having a good coach. We haven't had one in Edmonton in a loooong time.

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014
Maybe next season it will be a battle. After that, it is a no contest.

And this is why flames fans and some other fans bash us. Please wait until the season starts and see after November and December before we start exclaiming that the team is going the right direction.

I'm hopeful, but not going to jump the gun on this.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Still a heck of a lot of work to do on the Oilers side of this. Would be awesome though for both fan bases to have a respectable team again that they can defend in endless arguments :)

Oct 30, 2011
hope it actually becomes something

there is potential for future playoff match-ups

that would be the best thing for hockey in alberta

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Maybe next season it will be a battle. After that, it is a no contest.

Unless the Oilers fix their goaltending and defense they're still a bottom 10 team, with or without McDavid.

It's great that everyone's all excited about winning the lottery but people need to come back down to earth with their expectations.

Last edited:

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
I know everyone loves to hate on the oil, but for once, we finally are heading into a season without Lowe and mac t and have some real management. I think there's where most of the optimsim is coming from. Well for me at least. Plus we have that mcdavid guy!

Anyways, I find it funny how oil will have to trade mcdavid and everyone else cause of cap problems yet teams like the flames with all their "top" players, will have no problems. Kinda seems like hatin on the oilers just cause tho

Edit: to the people comparing Bennett to mcdavid, are you serious??????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->