Rumor: The battle for Tarasenko is heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins should get him. Hall and Tarasenko could drive a line together no matter who you put between them. Would be a nice short term solution to replacing Krejci and they have room for a top 6 RW behind Pastrnak
Really that sounds so easy ,but how is he going to be paid are dear beloved GM pissed all that cap space away...........

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Isles are fine with their 22-27 yr old core of blueliners and Sorokin is only 25, but they need to get younger and more skilled among their forward group. Eichel at $10m would not be doable,but 24 yr old Eichel with salary retained is intriguing.

I would be surprised if the Sabres don't end up sending Eichel out west. Avoid facing him as much and don't have fans constantly reminded how the organization pissed away his time in Buffalo.

I can't imagine you guys moving pieces like Dobson to be the highest bidders, you have a more difficult cap situation than some who are in on Eichel, and you're in conference, AND he comes with injury risk. Basically everything every Isles fan has told us about Tarasenko (can't take on 7.5, would need serious retention from there, don't want to mess with the core, not wanting big injury risk) is all there with Eichel, but the age, position, and upside is higher. Buffalo would have to seriously retain or take back a bad contract or two in order to make it work, so the price goes even higher. And their ask is already very high. Your best piece to a team rebuilding is Sorokin (who isn't going to be moved) and Dobson and Buffalo is loaded on D. They'd need a top center prospect. You don't have one. No one is of the mind that NYI is getting Eichel, and they aren't really in the race either. You don't give up big pieces in their position. Which is the only reason why Tarasenko makes any sense, because of high upside and lost cost of acquisition.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The 180 some of these fans will do in a couple months when vlad is tearing up on another team and wondering why they didn’t pay what it took to get him

Fans on social media (for the most part) fall for the bandwagon parties and they love to alienate players. If Tarasenko is healthy, he is a serious top 6 winger available on the market. Problem is cap space and I believe the Blues are using one offer against the others to see who wants him more at this stage.

Surprised Seattle didn't take him but I guess they valued the D? They took Dunn right? Went young for the most part

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can't imagine you guys moving pieces like Dobson to be the highest bidders, you have a more difficult cap situation than some who are in on Eichel, and you're in conference, AND he comes with injury risk. Basically everything every Isles fan has told us about Tarasenko (can't take on 7.5, would need serious retention from there, don't want to mess with the core, not wanting big injury risk) is all there with Eichel, but the age, position, and upside is higher. Buffalo would have to seriously retain or take back a bad contract or two in order to make it work, so the price goes even higher. And their ask is already very high. Your best piece to a team rebuilding is Sorokin (who isn't going to be moved) and Dobson and Buffalo is loaded on D. They'd need a top center prospect. You don't have one. No one is of the mind that NYI is getting Eichel, and they aren't really in the race either. You don't give up big pieces in their position. Which is the only reason why Tarasenko makes any sense, because of high upside and lost cost of acquisition.

If the isles are not scared off after Taransenko's three shoulder surgeries,I am not sure they would be scared off Eichel's neck injury.

Eichel at 24 would fit into the long-term core a lot better than 28/29 yr old Taransenko. And with Buffalo willing to retain salary helps increase chances Buffalo trading Eichel.

And with the Sabres already having RHD Dahlin, I would hope the isles didn't even include Dobson in the package. These are the trade chips I would want in a nyi package:
A) Wally, or Raty. Wally is producing in the NHL. Raty is a high end center/wing prospect.
B) Bolduc or Salo.
C) 2022 1st

Do I think he is a need? Not with Barzal,Nelson,Pags and possibly Cizikas down the middle. A recovered, 24 yr old Eichel would be a very nice add.
As I said,I want to add some youth and skill to that forward core.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
If the isles are not scared off after Taransenko's three shoulder surgeries,I am not sure they would be scared off Eichel's neck injury.

Eichel at 24 would fit into the long-term core a lot better than 28/29 yr old Taransenko. And with Buffalo willing to retain salary helps increase chances Buffalo trading Eichel.

And with the Sabres already having RHD Dahlin, I would hope the isles didn't even include Dobson in the package. These are the trade chips I would want in a nyi package:
A) Wally, or Raty. Wally is producing in the NHL. Raty is a high end center/wing prospect.
B) Bolduc or Salo.
C) 2022 1st

Do I think he is a need? Not with Barzal,Nelson,Pags and possibly Cizikas down the middle. A recovered, 24 yr old Eichel would be a very nice add.
Neck surgery that has never been done before for a contact sport athlete? Hard pass. Especially given your Santa Claus package in return.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

B) Bolduc or Salo.
C) 2022 1st

That's dumb though. It isn't would you rather have Eichel or Tarasenko. It's the risk in context to the cost. Eichel is high risk and rumored to be absurdly high cost to acquire. That package isn't getting Eichel, much less Eichel retained with bad cap going back and in conference. You want to trade a recent 2nd round pick, Salo, and what is assuredly a late 1st for Eichel? That's one of the worst proposals for him on this board, and that's saying something. I'm sure the Buffalo fanbase has some 4-letter words to describe it better. Why would a team who actually needs a center not beat that offer? Possibly with a legit center prospect? Wahlstrom and Raty aren't knocking anyone's socks off. That's an offer closer to what returned Anthony Mantha, not a 1st line center.

Not to mention Army, again, will likely have to retain on a Tarasenko trade unless he wants to hold onto him until next offseason, which seems highly unlikely. Just because Buffalo has publicly said they would retain (have they even said that?) doesn't mean they're the only ones.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Neck surgery that has never been done before for a contact sport athlete? Hard pass. Especially given your Santa Claus package in return.

Team were trying to acquire Eichel at his full salary. Clearly those teams expect him to return to playing at the high level he previously played at.
He is a 24 yrs old, franchise center and his team is willing to retain salary. You have to give to get.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's dumb though. It isn't would you rather have Eichel or Tarasenko. It's the risk in context to the cost. Eichel is high risk and rumored to be absurdly high cost to acquire. That package isn't getting Eichel, much less Eichel retained with bad cap going back and in conference. You want to trade a recent 2nd round pick, Salo, and what is assuredly a late 1st for Eichel? That's one of the worst proposals for him on this board, and that's saying something. I'm sure the Buffalo fanbase has some 4-letter words to describe it better. Why would a team who actually needs a center not beat that offer? Possibly with a legit center prospect? Wahlstrom and Raty aren't knocking anyone's socks off. That's an offer closer to what returned Anthony Mantha, not a 1st line center.

Not to mention Army, again, will likely have to retain on a Tarasenko trade unless he wants to hold onto him until next offseason, which seems highly unlikely. Just because Buffalo has publicly said they would retain (have they even said that?) doesn't mean they're the only ones.
I have already said center is not a need.
Eichel would be a nice add, but since the isles already have Barzal and other teams don't have a 1C, it wouldn't be surprising to see the isles outbid.
I would want them to make their best offer and hope it's accepted.

Eichel is 24 and would be considered a long term addition to the isles core. Taransenko is 29. Big difference when looking at which one I would want on a long term deal.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Eichel would be a nice add, but since the isles already have Barzal and other teams don't have a 1C, it wouldn't be surprising to see the isles outbid.

Eichel is 24 and would be considered a long term addition to the isles core. Taransenko is 29. Big difference when looking at which one I would want on a long term deal.

Guy, everyone knows Eichel's age. Yes, it's likely to fit into your core. It's also never going to happen. Tarasenko doesn't fit into your core.

tenor.gif

But he's a more likely option. The Isles need scoring, they need wingers, Tarasenko's cost of acquisition is low, and him with 3 mil retained would fit more easily into your cap situation.

Me personally, I'd much rather deal Tank to NJ for the full cap hit and take the draft pick and be done with it. I really don't care if he ends up with the Islanders or not. But to sit here and pretend that Eichel is more in play for you guys than Tarasenko just because you personally want him more is silly. You get that, right?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think Tarasenko surprises a lot of people in this thread next year.

I’m not saying they should be looking to pay us in that sort of value that he would have once had, but I think whoever ends up with him will be very happy they got him regardless of cost (which probably won’t be very much)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Man, after dismantling a stanley cup core in 2 offseasons Army(started with faulk trade)....please pull this rabbit out of your hat and get some real value for tarasenko to put a cherry on top of what looks to finally be an offseason of improving this team for this first time in awhile.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Honestly I want nothing to do with Tarasenko.

The shoulder injury is a major concern as well as his contract. Unless we are getting him at a severe discount, it isn't something that I am that interested in

I read recent speculation from Bleacher Report that the Devils could be allegedly interested in giving up Sharangovich or Kuokkanen to get Tarasenko

Under no circumstances should we be doing something as boneheaded as that. If that's the ask, the Rangers or Islanders can have his services.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019

I'm gonna be that guy, because you keep spelling it that way...there's only one n in Tarasenko.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
As has been pointed out by others, this is not the correct timeline of events related to Tarasenko requesting a trade.

Look, I realize you're probably new to the site and I don't want to be a complete asshole to you. But this isn't a social media site or reddit or whatever else, this is HF boards. There are plenty of knuckleheads and trolls here (as there are everywhere on the internet), but there are also a LOT of really knowledgeable hockey fans who happen to post here.

If you don't know something, just ask a question and 9/10 times you'll get at least a couple good responses here. For instance, just a couple pages earlier in this thread, I asked NJD fans how they ranked their LHD prospects and got several interesting responses. If you didn't know the full timeline of events that lead to Tarasenko requesting a trade, you could have simply asked for an explanation. I know for a fact there are plenty of reasonable Blues fan who would be happy to explain the whole situation to you.

i already know that Tarasenko blames the blues doctors for his continued issue with his shoulder. but you cant deny that Armstrong has been trting to move on from Tarasenko REGARDLESS of any trade request. want proof ? leaving him exposed in the expansion draft. That my fried is not a trade and allowed him to circumvent his NTC

I dont want any part of Tarasenko for the same reason Armstrong doesnt want him, 7.5 M cap dollars is alot to pay for a guywho has a surgically repaired shoulder, that no one, not even Tarasenko himself knows if it can stand up to the rigors of an NHL SEASON.

If you in your heart of hearts really believe it can ten good on you. Keep him and reap the rewards of your faith, you deserve it. but I go by actions, by leaving Tarasenko unprotected and Trading for Buchnevich, that tells me that Armstrong knew well before the rade request that he wanted to move on.

as soon as you accept that basic fact. you understand why I and others want no part of Tarasenko. this is not preinjury Tarasenko. this is a 7.5M unknown. The Devils as a non contender with a ton of cap space can Afford to take that risk in the hopes of advancing their timeline, but the Isles cannot and Should not. end of story

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
i already know that Tarasenko blames the blues doctors for his continued issue with his shoulder. but you cant deny that Armstrong has been trting to move on from Tarasenko REGARDLESS of any trade request. want proof ? leaving him exposed in the expansion draft. That my fried is not a trade and allowed him to circumvent his NTC

I dont want any part of Tarasenko for the same reason Armstrong doesnt want him, 7.5 M cap dollars is alot to pay for a guywho has a surgically repaired shoulder, that no one, not even Tarasenko himself knows if it can stand up to the rigors of an NHL SEASON.

If you in your heart of hearts really believe it can ten good on you. Keep him and reap the rewards of your faith, you deserve it. but I go by actions, by leaving Tarasenko unprotected and Trading for Buchnevich, that tells me that Armstrong knew well before the rade request that he wanted to move on.

as soon as you accept that basic fact. you understand why I and others want no part of Tarasenko. this is not preinjury Tarasenko. this is a 7.5M unknown. The Devils as a non contender with a ton of cap space can Afford to take that risk in the hopes of advancing their timeline, but the Isles cannot and Should not. end of story

The trade request made 2 days after the Blues season ended(May 23).

The expansion draft happened on July 21; nearly a month later.

At least have the decency to get your timeline straight.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Guy, everyone knows Eichel's age. Yes, it's likely to fit into your core. It's also never going to happen. Tarasenko doesn't fit into your core.

tenor.gif

But he's a more likely option. The Isles need scoring, they need wingers, Tarasenko's cost of acquisition is low, and him with 3 mil retained would fit more easily into your cap situation.

Me personally, I'd much rather deal Tank to NJ for the full cap hit and take the draft pick and be done with it. I really don't care if he ends up with the Islanders or not. But to sit here and pretend that Eichel is more in play for you guys than Tarasenko just because you personally want him more is silly. You get that, right?

Which of my posts said the islr

tenor.gif

A couple of weeks ago in the Eichel trade thread,I posted I would be thrilled to swap Lee ($7m) for Eichel, that young franchise centers rarely became available.

And with isles rumored to have extended Palms ,signed Parise and having Lee, Bailey and Beau in the top 6 wing spots,I don't agree they need a winger. They need to improve their pp and to bring in a second pairing LHD.

LyNX27

Honestly I want nothing to do with Tarasenko.

The shoulder injury is a major concern as well as his contract. Unless we are getting him at a severe discount, it isn't something that I am that interested in

I read recent speculation from Bleacher Report that the Devils could be allegedly interested in giving up Sharangovich or Kuokkanen to get Tarasenko

Under no circumstances should we be doing something as boneheaded as that. If that's the ask, the Rangers or Islanders can have his services.

Where would the Rangers fit him if they're trying to play Kravtsov, Lafreniere, Kakko, and Panarin in the wings for their top 2 lines? You're telling me they're going to trade one of those guys for him?

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Which of my posts said the islr

A couple of weeks ago in the Eichel trade thread,I posted I would be thrilled to swap Lee ($7m) for Eichel, that young franchise centers rarely became available.

And with isles rumored to have extended Palms ,signed Parise and having Lee, Bailey and Beau in the top 6 wing spots,I don't agree they need a winger. They need to improve their pp and to bring in a second pairing LHD.

In other words, no. Thanks for your time.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

you're allowed to not want tarasenko on the isles and frankly, no one cares

stop mixing up all the facts about tarasenko's situation and your point won't get drowned out by the wrong you post

Reactions: HipsCzech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad