Rumor: The battle for Tarasenko is heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You know MacEachern is really more of a 4th line, 13/14th spare forward, right? Wouldn't be an issue throwing him in though. Hell, you might be able to get him off of waivers depending on our moves.

Yeah the appeal for me at least is he throws his weight around, Devils were bottom 5 in hits last season, and lost Kulikov and Bastian who made up almost 20% of the teams total hits. He'd replace Bastian while keeping the prospects away from playing 4th line minutes and in the AHL. Would probably need to bring in another guy too on PTO but at least MacEachern would provide some insurance.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He plays on one of the Isles four lines… but he’s not really a fourth liner. Here are the Islander lines by the way:

2a
2b
2c

Well said. I cringe when fans ignore usage and match-up and focus on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th line usage. When you are top heavy you have that yeah. But not all teams are top heavy and have that strategy

Reactions: buud and CupHolders

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Seems like everyone is preemptively saying how much they hate doing this as a defense mechanism for if another team gets him - they can say they didn’t want him anyway.

Personally, I’d be excited for the addition of Tarasenko to the Isles, but my feelings are obviously contingent on the pieces going back and salary retained.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Seems like everyone is preemptively saying how much they hate doing this as a defense mechanism for it if actually happens.

Personally, I’d be excited for the addition of Tarasenko to the Isles, but my feelings are obviously contingent on the pieces going back and salary retained.

Ditto. I'd pay like.. A conditional 2nd + prospect for him, but certainly not Beau or anything of that calibre.

Reactions: buud

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Seems like everyone is preemptively saying how much they hate doing this as a defense mechanism for it if actually happens.

Just depends on the cost, I think. As a devils fan, I'm more than open to the idea of acquiring him. But I'm not bullish on the shoulder moving forward, and because the Devils would take on the full cap hit, I wouldn't be paying as much as a team that needs to send out contracts the other way or need retention. His talent is worth the risk of the cap hit, similar to how Subban was, but there's certainly a chunk of risk.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021

Not a defense mechanism at all it’s a poorly thought out move. The man has no defensive component, he is injured and will cost a player or two because of his cap hit. Not even the Blues know if he can come back to his prior form. So how can you?

the answer is you can’t,

Lou was just doing his due diligence and if he could do it for Bailey and komorov (in other words cap neutral) he’d take the risk. He couldn’t so it’s not happening.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
At this point the blues should focus on NJ.they have a desire for him enough cap space to make it work. They are trying to contend and the veteran presence of a Stanley cup winner always helps. There is a risk but as a team that isn’t yet a playoff team it’s not as acute. A team with Stanley Cup aspirations needs to be extremely cognizant of the effects of each move and how it influences the whole. Whereas a team that’s building can look in a microcosmic view because the term is longer. for the devils, making one playoff run isn’t as important because realistically they don’t expect to win everything this year, but for a team like the Blues or Islanders, it’s different because they are looking at a finite window of contention before they too must start over.

Tarasenko with his physical risks makes more sense for a team with less on the line. So go get him New Jersey

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If the shoulder is fully healthy and not at risk for re-injury, Tarasenko can be a legit 30-40 goal sniper.

I'm just concerned with the shoulder that has the history that his does to ever be healthy again.

Don't think he fits with the Rangers, but it would be nice to see him in the division this year coming

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Not a defense mechanism at all it’s a poorly thought out move. The man has no defensive component, he is injured and will cost a player or two because of his cap hit. Not even the Blues know if he can come back to his prior form. So how can you?

the answer is you can’t,

Lou was just doing his due diligence and if he could do it for Bailey and komorov (in other words cap neutral) he’d take the risk. He couldn’t so it’s not happening.

Tell Lou that I said he's a cool dude and I'd love to have a brewski with him some day. Thanks bud.

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
If the shoulder is fully healthy and not at risk for re-injury, Tarasenko can be a legit 30-40 goal sniper.

I keep hearing this over and over from St. Louis people, but he has been a 40 goal scorer only one in his career, in 2016. If the world were to go perfect, then sure, 30. but quit stretching the 40 mark. its not happening.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I keep hearing this over and over from St. Louis people, but he has been a 40 goal scorer only one in his career, in 2016. If the world were to go perfect, then sure, 30. but quit stretching the 40 mark. its not happening.

he also had seasons of 37 and 39, but yeah, more accurate to say 30+ goal scorer with him

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, you replied to a post that said 30-40, which is an accurate description of a healthy Tarasenko...

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
I mean, you replied to a post that said 30-40, which is an accurate description of a healthy Tarasenko...
Nooooo This is disingenuous. it is a description of the pre-injury Tarasenko, He can be 100 percent healthy and still never approach that level again and you know it. That’s why injuries are so upsetting. Each human body is unique and the affect of catastrophic injury is totally different for each person.

that’s why anyone who keeps repeating that is a liar. A healthy Tarasenko is not the same as a pre-injury Tarasenko. Ask Bo Jackson that one and he’ll explain the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisBeKreame

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I know - talk about splitting hairs. IMO 30-40 means "somewhere between 30 and 40". That doesn't seem like a stretch at all for a guy who has put up 37, 40, 39, 33, 33 in each of his last 5 full seasons. No need to be a "well....actually" guy.

Reactions: HipsCzech

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Nooooo This is disingenuous. it is a description of the pre-injury Tarasenko, He can be 100 percent healthy and still never approach that level again and you know it. That’s why injuries are so upsetting. Each human body is unique and the affect of catastrophic injury is totally different for each person.

that’s why anyone who keeps repeating that is a liar.

Damn liars! Amirite? I remember when my dad brought home a lottery ticket and said "I have a chance to be a millionaire" and I said "LIAR!!!!!!". Get these liars out of here. Stupid liars.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Two things:

First. He HAS scored 40 in the past and has the ability to do it again. It can't be taken away from him.....ever.

Second. When you see a set of numbers like 30-40, this represents a range in which a healthy Tarasenko lives.

Point conceded if you are nitpicking in tnat hes only his 40 one time.

But the FACT of the matter is that he did it and that cannot be taken away.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

that’s why anyone who keeps repeating that is a liar. A healthy Tarasenko is not the same as a pre-injury Tarasenko. Ask Bo Jackson that one and he’ll explain the difference.
Fine if you really want to split hairs between healthy and full-strength, then be my guest. I think it's pretty clear no one is acting like current Tarasenko has the value of prime Tarasenko. Just move along already. In your mind, you team was never even interested, so why are you even here?

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
Two things:

First. He HAS scored 40 in the past and has the ability to do it again. It can't be taken away from him.....ever.

Second. When you see a set of numbers like 30-40, this represents a range in which a healthy Tarasenko lives.

Point conceded if you are nitpicking in tnat hes only his 40 one time.

But the FACT of the matter is that he did it and that cannot be taken away.
What you said is 100 true except for one thing it’s not a healthy
Tarasenko it’s more accurately pre injury Tarasenko.

You, I, and no 0ne else on earth can accurately say he’ll ever be the same including Tarasenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad