Rumor: The battle for Tarasenko is heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It’s not the root cause but it played a factor as Tank and or his agent said that he is willing to go to any team vs. his list of teams.They expanded the teams he’d go to because he was left unprotected .

It simply could’ve been as well to quicken the process along. By all means you could be right though, but regardless he’s still under contractual obligation one way or another, it doesn’t necessarily “lower” his value due to expanding the list. I’m not sure if that’s what you were trying to portray or if you were just explaining the situation :cheers:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I bet Army is keeping the price high because deep down he doesn’t want to trade him. He knows his shoulder is healthy and with a healthy and motivated Tarasenko, the Blues can make another run. Their roster is deep and talented. Adding Buchnevich and Saad just solidified it.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I bet Army is keeping the price high because deep down he doesn’t want to trade him. He knows his shoulder is healthy and with a healthy and motivated Tarasenko, the Blues can make another run. Their roster is deep and talented. Adding Buchnevich and Saad just solidified it.

I don't think it will happen but I would love to hear Vladi retract his trade request and decides to finish out his time in St. Louis. If his shoulder is correctly repaired I have little doubt that he will return to a 30 goal scorer.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not a defense mechanism at all it’s a poorly thought out move. The man has no defensive component, he is injured and will cost a player or two because of his cap hit. Not even the Blues know if he can come back to his prior form. So how can you?

the answer is you can’t,

Lou was just doing his due diligence and if he could do it for Bailey and komorov (in other words cap neutral) he’d take the risk. He couldn’t so it’s not happening.
If he was guaranteed to regain prior form he would cost much more than Beauv or 2nd and prospect. Blues are accepting upside risk by dealing him and whomever gets him will take downside risk.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s not the root cause but it played a factor as Tank and or his agent said that he is willing to go to any team vs. his list of teams.They expanded the teams he’d go to because he was left unprotected .
This really isn’t true. Kraken apparently passed on him partly bc he wouldn’t give them crate Blanche to deal him wherever they wanted.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, Gaborik was fantastic for the Rangers. Didnt he have two top-5 goal finishes and.two top-10 point finishes?

And when Gaborik was traded to LA and he was "done" he had a Conn Smythe caliber run scoring 14 goals in the playoffs.

If Tarasenko could do what Gaborik did, then I think there are a fair number of teams interested in acquiring him.
In 2010-11 Gaborik had 22 goals in 62 games. He had one 2 goal game, two hat tricks and one 4 goal game which means he had 10 goals in 58 games.

Why do I remember that? Because that’s a real shitty thing to do your fantasy hockey team owners. That taught me an important lesson about owning stupid Rags players.

Admittedly, that doesn’t have much to do with Tarasenko.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The expansion draft, that’s also why he asked to be traded.

no one leaves a player you want to keep at all costs unprotected. It sends a very clear message.

so does trading for a replacement in Buchnevich

he could have also said we have no intention of trading Tarasenko so don’t bother asking. Armstrong didn’t do that either

Tarasenko isn’t an idiot. he’s a proud professional

so he asked to be traded.
As has been pointed out by others, this is not the correct timeline of events related to Tarasenko requesting a trade.

Look, I realize you're probably new to the site and I don't want to be a complete asshole to you. But this isn't a social media site or reddit or whatever else, this is HF boards. There are plenty of knuckleheads and trolls here (as there are everywhere on the internet), but there are also a LOT of really knowledgeable hockey fans who happen to post here.

If you don't know something, just ask a question and 9/10 times you'll get at least a couple good responses here. For instance, just a couple pages earlier in this thread, I asked NJD fans how they ranked their LHD prospects and got several interesting responses. If you didn't know the full timeline of events that lead to Tarasenko requesting a trade, you could have simply asked for an explanation. I know for a fact there are plenty of reasonable Blues fan who would be happy to explain the whole situation to you.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
As has been pointed out by others, this is not the correct timeline of events related to Tarasenko requesting a trade.

Look, I realize you're probably new to the site and I don't want to be a complete asshole to you. But this isn't a social media site or reddit or whatever else, this is HF boards. There are plenty of knuckleheads and trolls here (as there are everywhere on the internet), but there are also a LOT of really knowledgeable hockey fans who happen to post here.

If you don't know something, just ask a question and 9/10 times you'll get at least a couple good responses here. For instance, just a couple pages earlier in this thread, I asked NJD fans how they ranked their LHD prospects and got several interesting responses. If you didn't know the full timeline of events that lead to Tarasenko requesting a trade, you could have simply asked for an explanation. I know for a fact there are plenty of reasonable Blues fan who would be happy to explain the whole situation to you.

You must be confused about how one DEFENDS TRUTH.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Rewatching the game 4 on NHL Network which is oddly being replayed right now. Vladdy definitely had the old zip on his shots in this game and looked great, he just wasn’t playing very physical. With all the off-season training he’s been putting in, I’d say that arm feels a hell of a lot stronger now.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Rewatching the game 4 on NHL Network which is oddly being replayed right now. Vladdy definitely had the old zip on his shots in this game and looked great, he just wasn’t playing very physical. With all the off-season training he’s been putting in, I’d say that arm feels a hell of a lot stronger now.

But he did play plenty physical prior to that. It almost seemed like he was specifically testing the shoulder by driving into opponents at times. I actually suspect if he falls off due to diminished mobility and/or shot, he could adjust his game to carry the puck less, but drive the net a lot and score way more dirty goals. I don't know if he would, but he definitely has it in his toolkit.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
But he did play plenty physical prior to that. It almost seemed like he was specifically testing the shoulder by driving into opponents at times. I actually suspect if he falls off due to diminished mobility and/or shot, he could adjust his game to carry the puck less, but drive the net a lot and score way more dirty goals. I don't know if he would, but he definitely has it in his toolkit.

That’s why he should try playing with an elite puck carrier/distributor in Barzal. It would alleviate the burden of carrying a line and driving the play.

He can blend in behind the scenes, then pounce for a goal.

Reactions: buud

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
That’s why he should try playing with an elite puck carrier/distributor in Barzal. It would alleviate the burden of carrying a line and driving the play.

He can blend in behind the scenes, then pounce for a goal.

He'd have to change a lot of his game for all of that to work. I think he could, but it wouldn't just happen simply because he's playing with Barzal. He'd have to put in serious work to overhaul his habits. He's shockingly deficient at one-timers and very rarely positions himself in soft spots in coverage so he can receive a pass and quickly shoot it. He currently needs to have the puck on his stick to make his wrister effective and he supports as a safer, strong-side outlet when he doesn't have the puck.

Plus, he's actually a very good passer. You'd really only want him to adapt his game to carrying the puck less and driving the net more if his shot and/or speed seriously falls off.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He'd have to change a lot of his game for all of that to work. I think he could, but it wouldn't just happen simply because he's playing with Barzal. He'd have to put in serious work to overhaul his habits. He's shockingly deficient at one-timers and very rarely positions himself in soft spots in coverage so he can receive a pass and quickly shoot it. He currently needs to have the puck on his stick to make his wrister effective and he supports as a safer, strong-side outlet when he doesn't have the puck.

Plus, he's actually a very good passer. You'd really only want him to adapt his game to carrying the puck less and driving the net more if his shot and/or speed seriously falls off.

Hm, I didn’t know he tends not to find the soft spots. That’s usually a given for a sniper.

I do know he can dangle and has a lethal shot. I’d imagine he could adapt with experience and some coaching, re: Barzal.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hm, I didn’t know he tends not to find the soft spots. That’s usually a given for a sniper.

I do know he can dangle and has a lethal shot. I’d imagine he could adapt with experience and some coaching, re: Barzal.

It's only a given for more one-dimensional snipers who aren't puck carriers. Some guys can do it all, but there have always been terrific goal scorers who never find that center to form a magical duo simply because their play style isn't conducive to being set-up. Rick Nash is a classic example. Dude's style meant he needed the puck on his stick more to be most effective. I'd actually say that sneaky snipers a la Brett Hull are probably rarer.

It's not that Tarasenko is bad at it. But he's definitely not just a triggerman. He creates the majority of his chances with the puck on his stick, usually carrying the puck into the zone and then scoring rather than snapping home somebody else's set-up.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It's only a given for more one-dimensional snipers who aren't puck carriers. Some guys can do it all, but there have always been terrific goal scorers who never find that center to form a magical duo simply because their play style isn't conducive to being set-up. Rick Nash is a classic example. Dude's style meant he needed the puck on his stick more to be most effective. I'd actually say that sneaky snipers a la Brett Hull are probably rarer.

It's not that Tarasenko is bad at it. But he's definitely not just a triggerman. He creates the majority of his chances with the puck on his stick, usually carrying the puck into the zone and then scoring rather than snapping home somebody else's set-up.

Great summary. He's not a triggerman like Hoffman/Perron, that's for sure. But as you said, his biggest strengths are ripping wrist shots from the high slot and driving the net in 1-on-1 situations, using his strength to outmuscle d-men and get to the net. He has the ability to create a scoring chance out of nothing by cutting to the net and protecting the puck. And also as you said, he's a better passer than most non-Blues fans probably think he is. If anything, he might benefit from being a bit more "selfish" as I've seen him pass up quality shots trying to set up a teammate.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The bridges are likely burnt at this point

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
And that’s why he left him exposed to possibly be scooped for nothing…

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Are we really going to go over this again? It's all been addressed earlier in the thread or just read Armstrong's post-season interview for answers.
There is nothing to go over, spin it anyway you want, you don’t leave a guy who requested a trade exposed and just assume it’s all under the guise you want him back next year.

If he got plucked, is Armstrong just going to be all “as shucks deep down I really wanted him to be here”

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
There is nothing to go over, spin it anyway you want, you don’t leave a guy who requested a trade exposed and just assume it’s all under the guise you want him back next year.

If he got plucked, is Armstrong just going to be all “as shucks deep down I really wanted him to be here”

I'm sure Armstrong would love to have him back next year if the player hadn't requested a trade. His options are limited at this point and is trying to make the best of a bad situation. Since we are basically forced to move him, letting Seattle have the option of taking him was at least a palatable option as keeping Dunn, Barbashev and having $7 million in extra cap space isn't the worst thing in the world. Unfortunately what Armstrong "wants" doesn't really matter, he's got to deal with the reality of the situation.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I'm sure Armstrong would love to have him back next year if the player hadn't requested a trade. His options are limited at this point and is trying to make the best of a bad situation. Since we are basically forced to move him, letting Seattle have the option of taking him was at least a palatable option as keeping Dunn, Barbashev and having $7 million in extra cap space isn't the worst thing in the world. Unfortunately what Armstrong "wants" doesn't really matter, he's got to deal with the reality of the situation.
Again, left him exposed and miscalculated his worth by over asking in packages for Tank. Armstrong has not handled this well at all.

Especially considering Francis wanted to take Tank and flip him, but being that Tank has a NMC, and can pick where he goes, it hampered Francis plans.

So, again, leaving him exposed isn’t a glaring endorsement for how the organization feels about the player.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Again, left him exposed and miscalculated his worth by over asking in packages for Tank. Armstrong has not handled this well at all.

Especially considering Francis wanted to take Tank and flip him, but being that Tank has a NMC, and can pick where he goes, it hampered Francis plans.

So, again, leaving him exposed isn’t a glaring endorsement for how the organization feels about the player.

If he hadn't requested a trade, he would never have been exposed. Kind of an important detail. I guess Montreal doesn't want Price back or Philly doesn't want JVR back either? Or mayyybe these teams knew/suspected Seattle wouldn't take those contracts, which allowed them to protect an extra player. It's not just about the player in question, there are many factors that go into it. I totally get why Seattle didn't take him, but surely fans can see why the Blues left him exposed as well and it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

I'll wait until the situation resolves itself before giving Armstrong a final grade, the final outcome is the only thing that matters.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If he hadn't requested a trade, he would never have been exposed. Kind of an important detail. I guess Montreal doesn't want Price back or Philly doesn't want JVR back either? Or mayyybe these teams knew/suspected Seattle wouldn't take those contracts, which allowed them to protect an extra player. It's not just about the player in question, there are many factors that go into it. I totally get why Seattle didn't take him, but surely fans can see why the Blues left him exposed as well and it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

I'll wait until the situation resolves itself before giving Armstrong a final grade, the final outcome is the only thing that matters.
You literally explained the difference in the situations between Tank Price and JVR.

There is also the small detail, again, that Francis wanted to take Tank to flip him but wanted the freedom to trade him wherever he wanted.

armstrong was that close to losing him for literally nothing.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
You literally explained the difference in the situations between Tank Price and JVR.

There is also the small detail, again, that Francis wanted to take Tank to flip him but wanted the freedom to trade him wherever he wanted.

armstrong was that close to losing him for literally nothing.

Keeping a young player with upside in Dunn and having $7.5 million in free cap space is not "literally nothing," especially in the current financial environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad