The (basically) end of regular season report cards

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Malkin fits better with McCann because McCann is better than Zucker. However, Malkin’s struggles are clearly conditioning related. Being old and having multiple joint problems is a bad combination for consistency.

I don't think McCann or Zucker really make much of a difference with Malkin and I don't think the difference is justified enough to ruin how good McCann and Carter have been.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Great for their price and expectations: Kapanen, Ceci, Rust, McCann, Blueger, Gaudreau, Carter

Met or barely exceeded their price and expectations: Crosby, Guentzel, Letang, Dumoulin, Tanev, Matheson

Fine to pretty good: Jarry, DeSmith, Pettersson, ZAR, Sceviour

Inconsistent, alternated between bad and good: Malkin, Marino

Disappointing: Zucker (though he’s been getting better since returning, fingers crossed for playoffs)

Suck: Jankowski

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't think McCann or Zucker really make much of a difference with Malkin and I don't think the difference is justified enough to ruin how good McCann and Carter have been.

I get it. Malkin will live and die by his conditioning over his line mates. Always been that way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I get it. Malkin will live and die by his conditioning over his line mates. Always been that way.

I just don't get this idea that Malkin has been awful. He was meh to start this year when he reportedly couldn't even skate in Russia. Like, I'm not holding that against him.

Once the season got going for him, he was lights out. Then he got a fluke injury. He's now recovering from it and producing. Looks like 15-16 Malkin all over again. Get through the 1st round and let him build back some confidence. I loved how Sullivan double shifted him last night before the Kapanen goal. I don't think Malkin's this big issue that some are trying to make him out to be.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I just don't get this idea that Malkin has been awful. He was meh to start this year when he reportedly couldn't even skate in Russia. Like, I'm not holding that against him.

Once the season got going for him, he was lights out. Then he got a fluke injury. He's now recovering from it and producing. Looks like 15-16 Malkin all over again. Get through the 1st round and let him build back some confidence. I loved how Sullivan double shifted him last night before the Kapanen goal. I don't think Malkin's this big issue that some are trying to make him out to be.

He was total trash to start the year because he wasn’t able to train, and then was pretty great. So yea. But he doesn’t get a good grade because he barely played.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@Tom Hanks Can we just base those off what they "have played" this season for the Pens.

Might as well throw every single one of those in the trash.

It is all just this season for the Pens.

Only Carter has his mixed with the Kings and I can’t separate that as far as I know.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
What's with the GP?

I can't go to the link without subscribing so....

Their modelling prorates everyone based on a full season so if no one has missed a game they’ll be at 82, if they’ve played half the seasons games they’d be at 41 GP etc

the explanation at the bottom should still be visible. It worked when I signed out. I can do a screenshot if it doesn’t work for ya

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

For me the concern is we're going to need vintage Geno to win in the playoffs, especially if Sullivan insists on matching Sid versus Bergeron, because I don't think we'll be getting much 5on5 out of that line if he keeps doing that. So we'll need Malkin to basically dominate his match-up to make up for it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Their modelling prorates everyone based on a full season so if no one has missed a game they’ll be at 82, if they’ve played half the seasons games they’d be at 41 GP etc

the explanation at the bottom should still be visible. It worked when I signed out. I can do a screenshot if it doesn’t work for ya

Don't bother, I still wouldn't use a prorated graph. That's just silly and misleading. That's a lot of games where it could change drastically still.

It's a 56 game season. Reality is reality. That's 26 games where players could dip and elevate. I don't want fantasy numbers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
For me the concern is we're going to need vintage Geno to win in the playoffs, especially if Sullivan insists on matching Sid versus Bergeron, because I don't think we'll be getting much 5on5 out of that line if he keeps doing that. So we'll need Malkin to basically dominate his match-up to make up for it.

Why can't the Carter line dominate his match-up to make up for it?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

This is it in a nutshell, you are not going to get the three top lines all going at once. It wasn't that way when they won in 2016. There was always a line either struggling or not getting any puck luck. Them having 3 solid lines is what filled in the gaps from game to game. The real promise is teams can't keep up with that kind of constant pressure even if a line is off they still have to account for them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Because, 4-goal game aside, I don't think Carter or his line can dominate the scoreboard as much as Geno at his absolute best can. Carter's line has the potential to provide strong secondary scoring, but Geno at his best has the potential to take over a series and be the very best player in the series.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because, 4-goal game aside, I don't think Carter or his line can dominate the scoreboard as much as Geno at his absolute best can. Carter's line has the potential to provide strong secondary scoring, but Geno at his best has the potential to take over a series and be the very best player in the series.

Well, we aren't going to have Geno at his absolute best so I don't really see why would complain about it.

And if Carter's line is producing how it has removing the 4 goal game. We are fine.

They are doubling up on what they are giving up. It's HBK level.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, we aren't going to have Geno at his absolute best so I don't really see why would complain about it.

And if Carter's line is producing how it has removing the 4 goal game. We are fine.

They are doubling up on what they are giving up. It's HBK level.

I'm a little confused what you're even arguing at this point.

My original point was that if Sullivan was going to match Sid versus Bergeron, then that line was going to be doing nothing at 5on5. So we'd need Malkin at his best to compensate otherwise we'd now have 2 lines who are doing nothing at 5on5.

How Carter's line and how Blueger's line performs has very little to do with my point because we'd need them to perform even with Malkin's line performing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

My original point was that if Sullivan was going to match Sid versus Bergeron, then that line was going to be doing nothing at 5on5. So we'd need Malkin at his best to compensate otherwise we'd now have 2 lines who are doing nothing at 5on5.

How Carter's line and how Blueger's line performs has very little to do with my point because we'd need them to perform even with Malkin's line performing.

We won against Washington in 2016 with Crosby and Malkin being held to a combined 2 5v5 points.

It's not like Boston's got some fearsome bottom six that is going to dunk on us. They have their top line and a 2nd line that has largely been meh until recently. Also, Malkin has been producing at 5v5 since coming back. He's got 2 assists in 3 games after missing 20+ games. I don't get this huge concern over the Malkin line if Carter and McCann are performing at the level they are right now. If that line dries up, I get it,

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We won against Washington in 2016 with Crosby and Malkin being held to a combined 2 5v5 points.

It's not like Boston's got some fearsome bottom six that is going to dunk on us. They have their top line and a 2nd line that has largely been meh until recently. Also, Malkin has been producing at 5v5 since coming back. He's got 2 assists in 3 games after missing 20+ games. I don't get this huge concern over the Malkin line if Carter and McCann are performing at the level they are right now. If that line dries up, I get it,

Yeah, it's also why I'm not terrified of playing Boston like some people are. If GCR holds the Perfect Line to 4 points combined throughout a series, we've got a good chance to win because of our offensive depth. :dunno:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, it's also why I'm not terrified of playing Boston like some people are. If GCR holds the Perfect Line to 4 points combined throughout a series, we've got a good chance to win because of our offensive depth. :dunno:

The big issue is if our depth scoring suddenly dries up. If our bottom six all goes 0s across the lines and Malkin is like 3 pts in 5 games and Sid and Bergeron are playing to a draw we are f***ed.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Isn’t that with every debate with @Gurglesons ;)

He gets you with his HR spin :P

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Ceci isn't given at worst a solid ''A'', something is very wrong here.

I'm giving Ceci an A+, and he's the only Penguin player I'm giving that grade to.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The big issue is if our depth scoring suddenly dries up. If our bottom six all goes 0s across the lines and Malkin is like 3 pts in 5 games and Sid and Bergeron are playing to a draw we are f***ed.

If the depth scoring dries up, and Malkin or Sid can't take over a series like they used to, we're not winning anyway. :laugh: This team is never going to win a series of 1-0 duels.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Forwards
Sid - B+
(not his best season and he had some prolonged periods of blah play, but he absolutely carried the team when he needed to)
Guentzel - B+ (similar to Crosby - not the best he's looked, but the scoring is where it needs to be)
Rust - A- (advanced stats aside, Rust's scoring impresses me more every year)
Malkin - I (for incomplete. Feels like we don't have enough consistent "data" to grade him)
Zucker - C (just kinda...there)
Kapanen - A (WAY better than I thought he'd be. Best a winger has looked with Malkin since Neal, and he's contributed elsewhere too.)
McCann - A (I will be very upset if we lose this guy in expansion. Really starting to deliver on the promise people saw in him early on in his career)
Carter - A (would've been an A- until last night. One of my favorite centers the Pens have had in the bottom 6 since Staal. Hope he keeps it up)
Blueger - B+ (Still would like to see a little more from him, but he's solid overall and I'm convinced he should be a long-term Penguin)
ERod - B- (he's been a nice "utility guy" throughout the lineup, although he's no Dupuis)
ZAR - C+ (I don't hate his game but he always seems like he should be contributing a little more than he does)
Tanev - B (Looked good when he was healthy - but considering the injury, this grade is borderline on Incomplete)

Sceviour - C- (not much to say about him. a big "meh")
Jankowski - F (least favorite forward on the team this year, by far. A total plug)
Gaudreau - B+ (I expected very little and he's been a nice contributor)
Zohorna - B (somewhat promising at times, though we didn't see much of him)
Lafferty - C (another guy I have very little to say about. He was...whatever)
Angello - C (see above)

Defense
Letang - A (one of his best seasons ever. Should get Norris consideration)
Dumoulin - B+ (Abysmal to start the year - much more respectable since returning)
Matheson - B (better than I expected - his game has warts but he is a very dynamic player who works well in this system)
Ceci - B (waaaaaaaaaay better than I expected. Solid if unspectacular. Great depth pickup that has punched above his weight)
Pettersson - C (not terrible but uninspiring and mediocre relative to what he's getting paid. I hope he is the expansion casualty)
Marino - B- (wouldn't call him a liability, but definitely a sophomore slump relative to his great rookie season)
Friedman - B (solid waiver pickup who has filled in nicely when asked)

Goalies
Jarry - B
(like Dumo, abysmal to start and better since. Still a little too inconsistent for my liking).
DeSmith - B- (his bad games made me angrier than Jarry's. Nonetheless, he's been a solid backup)
You're giving Ceci a B? Really?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What about your boy McCann?
Well, he's not my boy, however I have decided to give him a solid ''A''. He's been much better than even realistic expectations. Dumo since coming back and Freddie also garner solid ''A's"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad