The (basically) end of regular season report cards

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Kapanen A+. He obliterated expectations. 10th in the league at 5v5 ES per 60. For questionable reasons still averaging 15:31 a game.
Unlike Phil he backchecks too and isn't useless on the walls. And he can PK.

He's made every line he's been on work. Just did full carries when needed.

There is no NHL forward who could make a better claim to his coach that he deserves to be on the 1st PP unit, out of those who don't get those minutes.

I am over the f***ing moon with this acquisition, and to have him for another year at 3.2 mil. Thrilled to have him for a series against a brutal opponent like Boston. Could save us.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kapanen has really been a godsend. Young, fast, scoring at a good clip, defensively competent, chemistry with Malkin...kind of cool that the Pens' got 2 cups out of the Kessel trade and might still end up getting Kapanen's best years too.

Many cringed at the price JR paid to get him back - myself included - but he's really gone above and beyond expectations. If he can stay healthy, I think he could be a 60 point player.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Blueger and Tanev's seasons might not be repeatable, but that doesn't diminish what they have done this season. I give them extra credit for basically being the only ones with a pulse for the first couple of weeks as well, so I'd give them an A.

Carter I give an A+. He's the type of TDL acquisition that flies under the radar, but we could be looking back on it wondering where we would have been without him. Added legitimate scoring punch to the bottom 6, can and has played in all situations, and most importantly has accepted that role which, as we've seen, isn't always so easy for a guy with his pedigree to do. We'll see how it goes in the playoffs, but if he keeps playing like this, he might the 7th forward I protect in the ED even though he's old and only has 1 year left on his deal.

Kap with an A+ as well. Dude hit the ground running and other than the injury setback, he's kept it going.

Everyone else is pretty much in that C to B+ category. Everyone's had their ups and downs, but for the most part, solid seasons from everyone.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Kapanen has really been a godsend. Young, fast, scoring at a good clip, defensively competent, chemistry with Malkin...kind of cool that the Pens' got 2 cups out of the Kessel trade and might still end up getting Kapanen's best years too.

Many cringed at the price JR paid to get him back - myself included - but he's really gone above and beyond expectations. If he can stay healthy, I think he could be a 60 point player.

Kappy is #9 in the entire league at 5v5pts/60min. I'd say that he was a fantastic trade pickup and probably should've never been traded away in the first place. He's playing well above his pay grade, but doesn't get a ton of PP points (or time) to pad his stats like all the big names.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
DeSmith: B+. DeSmith has managed to completely squash any concerns I had with him as a platoon to Jarry this year. But at the same time, DeSmith absolutely cratered to end the season this year just like he did in 2018-2019. As weird as it sounds, I think DeSmith is a good platoon goalie but a bad backup goalie for Jarry. DeSmith seems to be a goalie that is really bad when he goes in cold, but goes on hot runs when you keep him in the net. I think the current split between Jarry and DeSmith is an appropriate way to use them, but if you make Jarry a 60 game starter, I don't think DeSmith makes sense as a backup.
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if they could approach the starter/backup roles a little differently.

Instead of giving DeSmith 1 of the back-to-backs and some other random games throughout the year, make him the de facto starter for a stretch here and there. It still limits Jarry's workload in the long run and gets the best out of DeSmith.

I guess it would depend on how Jarry handles coming in after sitting for a while, but he could still get 1 of the back-to-backs when DeSmith is the "starter" and I feel like he handled it pretty well last year when Murray was the #1.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not really going to critique that solid list and grading, nothing is outlandish so I'll give you an A+ for your effort and time on a job well done, Emp.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Forwards
Crosby A-
Guentzel A-
Rust - A
Zucker - C-
Malkin - C+
Kapanen - A+
McCann - A+
Carter - A+
Gaudreau - A+
Sceviour - C+
Blueger - A-
Rodrigues - B-
ZAR - B-
Tanev - B-
Jankowski - F
Lafferty - D+

Defense
Dumoulin - B-
Letang - A-
Matheson - B
Ceci - A+
Pettersson - C+
Marino - C-
Ruhwedel - B
Riikola - B
Friedman - B
POJ - B-

Goalie
Jarry - B+
Desmith - A-

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Are people grading based on performance relative to role or performance relative to expectations?

I'm a tough grader, but it seems kinda odd to give Sid a "B." Even if he didn't earn an "A+" on how "Sidney Crosby" he was, he's had an "A" of a year for a first-line center.

Also weird to see the guy with the third-most goals among all RWs being in "I'm honestly tempted to bump him down to a C if anything" territory. To give him a lower grade because we think he has more to contribute if the coaches would deploy him differently doesn't seem fair. That should impact how the coaches are graded more than the player.

The problem with grading relative to expectations is the assumption that our expectations were reasonable.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’ll post these by lines/pairings in different posts so it’s not a cluster **** of charts. Charts should all be updated as of today. Gaudreau won’t have one because I don’t think his minutes for the year are enough.

Edit: an explanation on their modelling should be visible at the bottom of this link. I don’t think you need to subscribe to see the explanation
Evolving-Hockey.com | Player Cards

Line 1

upload_2021-5-7_10-53-58.png

upload_2021-5-7_10-54-44.png

upload_2021-5-7_10-55-19.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are people grading based on performance relative to role or performance relative to expectations?

I'm a tough grader, but it seems kinda odd to give Sid a "B." Even if he didn't earn an "A+" on how "Sidney Crosby" he was, he's had an "A" of a year for a first-line center.

Also weird to see the guy with the third-most goals among all RWs being in "I'm honestly tempted to bump him down to a C if anything" territory. To give him a lower grade because we think he has more to contribute if the coaches would deploy him differently doesn't seem fair. That should impact how the coaches are graded more than the player.

The problem with grading relative to expectations is the assumption that our expectations were reasonable.

Your expectations do not have to be reasonable to grade players based on them. That's the point of this thread, to post how you think players played relative to what your expectations were. If you post something that suggests you had bad expectations, others will debate in response.

If we're grading them on the overall, this thread would be pointless. Crosby would get an A because he's a 1st liner, Tanev would get a C because he's a 3rd liner and so on. That doesn't actually say anything.

Here's my grading scale:

A: Performed above expectations
B: Performed as expected
C. Performed below expectations
D. Performed way below expectations

So with Rust, he was on pace for 30 goals and 60 points, but I expected more considering how he was used and how he performed last year. That's why I gave him a C+, not terribly below expectations but I don't think he met them.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Forwards
Sid - A-
95 point pace from a 34 year old Sid. What else can you expect?
Guentzel - B+
Rust - A- He may have cemented himself as a top 10 RW in the league. One of the most complete wingers in the game.
Malkin - D- Liability for the first month. Got hot for a few weeks then got injured. What a waste of a season.
Zucker - D+ Considering what we gave up for him, he's underachieving like crazy. He is supposed to be what Rust is now.
Kapanen - A I expected him to be worse.
McCann - B
Carter - A I did not expect him to be this good at his age.
Blueger - B+ Solid 3c.
ERod - C
ZAR - C+
Tanev - B
Lafferty - F Why is he in the NHL?
Jankowski - D- How did he ever score 17 goals? He doesn't bring much.
Sceviour - D+ Dime a dozen 4th liner.
Gaudreau - B Great player for a waiver pick up
Zohorna - B
Angello - C-

Defense
Letang - A
Dumoulin - B+
Matheson - B
Ceci - B
Pettersson - C Not a bad player, but highly overpaid for a #6 Dman. I hope Seattle takes him.
Marino - B
Friedman - B- Single handedly made Flyers games exciting again.

Goalies
Jarry - B+
Solid and mostly reliable goalie.
DeSmith - A Amazing season for a backup goalie who hasn't played in the NHL in 2 years.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Line 3

Note: Carter includes LA stats & Gaudreau didn’t have enough minutes for a chart so I subbed in ERod

upload_2021-5-7_11-8-24.png

upload_2021-5-7_11-9-5.png

upload_2021-5-7_11-9-41.png

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Malkin: F to start the year, A to end the year. Let me put Malkin's stat before February 18th and after February 18th, and I think you can figure out why this rating is fair:

Pre-February 18th: 7 points in 14 games, 1.53 5v5 points/60, -6.75% xGF%Rel
Post-February 18th: 21 points in 18 games, 3.01 5v5 points/60, +3.69% xGF%Rel

I really think the stats can justify the ratings perfectly. Since February 18th, Malkin has been a downright force. Before then, he was downright horrendous. Luckily the Stanley Cup playoffs don't happen in the first half of the season, so if I had to give him a rating on the year overall, I'd put more weight on post-February 18th than pre-February 18th. Malkin has been elite since that cutoff point that I picked, and I think that really supports the argument that Malkin's slow start was due to COVID messing with his off-season and pre-season routines.

Zucker: C-. I think he's been thoroughly meh throughout the year. His stat line is fine and I think people on here have been way too harsh on him, but I don't think he has passed the eye test that much and his on ice results are pretty blah overall. But luckily, if your worst grade on the year is "meh" (spoiler alert, no regular forwards are below C- for me), your team is in a great spot.

Funny how Malkin took off as of Feb 23rd when Zucker went down with injury, and was playing like Geno everyone knows until he got injured himself. Last 3 games he does have 4 assists, but not thanks to Zucker. Zucker only scored 1 goal where Geno had an assist. Other 3 assist were on PP and on Kapanen's goal. But hey, Sullivan wants to keep forcing Zucker with Geno, even when blind person sees that it doesnt work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Funny how Malkin took off as of Feb 23rd when Zucker went down with injury, and was playing like Geno everyone knows until he got injured himself. Last 3 games he does have 4 assists, but not thanks to Zucker. Zucker only scored 1 goal where Geno had an assist. Other 3 assist were on PP and on Kapanen's goal. But hey, Sullivan wants to keep forcing Zucker with Geno, even when blind person sees that it doesnt work.

Trying to blame Zucker for all of Malkin's failures at the start of the year makes you look biased towards Malkin.

Malkin's failures at the start of the year were his own, even if Zucker was also playing poorly and they didn't fit well together. There's a legit reason why he was playing badly to start and he has corrected it IMO, but blaming Zucker is just excuse making for Malkin.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Forward depth

Note: These are the left overs who have enough minutes for a chart

upload_2021-5-7_11-15-36.png

upload_2021-5-7_11-16-13.png

upload_2021-5-7_11-16-47.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Concluding that Malkin's struggles were completely because of Zucker, based on Malkin playing better right after Zucker got hurt, is as logical as concluding that the power play's struggles we're completely Malkin's fault because it got good after he got hurt.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know there is one more game, and I suppose these grades could massively change if something drastic happens against the Sabres tomorrow, but I figured it was still appropriate enough to give out final grades for the season for players.

Forwards:

Crosby: B. He's had a relatively poor year in terms of 5v5 production, and his saving grace has been that he has gotten a lot of empty net points. But even with that, he's still on pace for around 35 goals and 95 points on the season while being pretty excellent defensively and being one of the only healthy players on the year. I think a B is appropriate for him.

Guentzel: B+. Similar to Crosby, but Guentzel has been more productive at 5v5 than Crosby and has firmly established himself as an elite LWer in hockey.

Rust: C+. He produced at basically his old career normal at 5v5 but has just gotten top line minutes this year. His overall stat line is still good, he's roughly on pace for a 30-30 year per 82 games, but I would have expected him to be producing a little more considering how much ice time he got (and how many empty net points he got). Sullivan has also basically stopped using him on the PK and has started using him as an offensive first winger, which I think doesn't get all you can out of Rust.

I may get pushback on this one because "he's on pace for 60 points!", but I'm honestly tempted to bump him down to a C if anything. I used the post-February 18th for Malkin below, and I just happened to look at where Rust fell at in that window. He has a 1.33 5v5 points/60 in 41 games since February 18th, which is 19th of any player on the Penguins and 17th among players who have played in 10 or more games. That's terrible. His 5v5 points/60 over that window is on par with Lafferty and Angello, both of who are slightly above him. Over that same window, Crosby and Guentzel are almost exactly at 2 5v5 points/60 (2.04 for Crosby, 1.99 for Guentzel).

Malkin: F to start the year, A to end the year. Let me put Malkin's stat before February 18th and after February 18th, and I think you can figure out why this rating is fair:

Pre-February 18th: 7 points in 14 games, 1.53 5v5 points/60, -6.75% xGF%Rel
Post-February 18th: 21 points in 18 games, 3.01 5v5 points/60, +3.69% xGF%Rel

I really think the stats can justify the ratings perfectly. Since February 18th, Malkin has been a downright force. Before then, he was downright horrendous. Luckily the Stanley Cup playoffs don't happen in the first half of the season, so if I had to give him a rating on the year overall, I'd put more weight on post-February 18th than pre-February 18th. Malkin has been elite since that cutoff point that I picked, and I think that really supports the argument that Malkin's slow start was due to COVID messing with his off-season and pre-season routines.

Zucker: C-. I think he's been thoroughly meh throughout the year. His stat line is fine and I think people on here have been way too harsh on him, but I don't think he has passed the eye test that much and his on ice results are pretty blah overall. But luckily, if your worst grade on the year is "meh" (spoiler alert, no regular forwards are below C- for me), your team is in a great spot.

Kapanen: A. He's been the best 5v5 producer for the Penguins this year by a pretty healthy margin, outside of Carter being amazing since he was acquired. That's just a fact. Easy A. If this is the Kapanen the Penguins get going forward, they're going to end up underpaying for him.

McCann: A. He's been one of the best 5v5 producers this year for the Penguins, has shown he can play in a variety of roles while still producing and had a huge part in reigniting the Penguins stagnant powerplay to start they ear. Easy A in my eyes.

As an aside, the performance of McCann and Kapanen this year should probably make Hextall really hesitant on giving Rust an extension. If this is what McCann and Kapanen are going to be going forward, they're both better than Rust and Hextall would be making a bad decision to lose out on one of them to pay Rust.

Carter: A. His small sample size this year as the Penguins 3C has been better than any 3C performance the Penguins have gotten since Staal. And yes, I'm including Bonino with HBK there. And before someone makes a big fuss about that, put this Carter with 2016 Hagelin and Kessel and see how he does there. I bet he does even better than Bonino did.

He has completely replaced the role that Bonino had, while costing about 60% of what Bonino would have cost to retain. The only sad thing to me is that he's old and he's likely leaving after next year, but he's been the solution to the 3C question that the Penguins have had since Bonino left.

Rodrigues: B-. He was an absolute failure while playing with Crosby to start the year, but since getting demoted to the bottom-6, he's been a very effective bottom-6er for the Penguins. I don't think he's been anything special and I don't think a B- is a bad rating, but I think he's been a solid depth guy for the team.

ZAR: B-, and has been dropping since the start of the season. ZAR was absolutely great to start the year. He was producing really well, looked significantly faster and was actually playing like a 3rd liner. But look at his last 20 games, he has 2 goals and 6 points in 20 games while playing 15 minutes a night. That translates to a 5v5 points/60 of 0.94. Sure, the defense is still there and he looks better than what he did last year. And maybe my rating is a little too harsh because of how good ZAR looked to start the year. But he's been steadily getting worse and worse as the season has gone on.

Blueger: B+. On one hand, his production looks awesome this year. Blueger basically playing at a 40 point pace while playing mostly with defensive wingers in an ultra defensive role is great. But if you look under the hood, it really seems like his production is absolutely unsustainable. He's playing better than what he did last year, but his point totals are super inflated because of an unsustainable shooting%. He's been good this year, but he's a big time candidate for a big regression next year.

Tanev: B+. I think you can basically copy and paste the justification for Blueger and change it to Tanev and it would fit perfectly. He's been good, but he's not a 40 point guy going forward.

Extras (not going to spend a ton of time on the justification and not going to look at guys with small sample sizes):

Gaudreau: A. He's proven to be a great versatile bottom-6er that can play in a variety of roles. Considering he was signed as an AHLer, that's a great outcome for him.
Lafferty: D. He's probably not on the team next year. 0 goals and 6 points in 34 games with a ton of stupid penalties? I think he was probably the worst forward who got in a substantial amount of games on the team this year.
Sceviour: C. A disappointment in what he was advertised to be, but he hasn't exactly hurt the Penguins either. He put up roughly a 20 point pace while killing penalties in a 4th line role, I think that's fine. He'll be a decent signing for a team with bad depth for next year IMO.
Angello: C. He had flashes, but that's really about it. He's similar to Sceviour, he was a fine 4th liner but that's really about it.
Jankowski: D-. Jankowksi was so forgettable that I forgot to even include him in this post.

Will do the F and G in another post

Not to focus on ZAR too much, but your summary is exactly why I think ZAR will always remain a 4th liner. He'll have a hot stretch here or there where he makes you think there's more offense to give, but over a large sample size it balances out to him being a guy who doesn't really produce for long, long stretches of games to be considered a 3rd liner.

Also with regards to Rust, I think his lack of production at 5on5 has had a big impact on why Sid and Jake aren't producing much 5on5. IMO, he's been the one on that line that's squandered the most chances at 5on5. Whether that's due to bad puck luck or not the best fit with Sid, I don't know. But I just recall watching games where Sid and Jake would generate multiple chances for that line (hence why their possession numbers are actually decent), but the line would come away with zero points that night usually because Rust failed to capitalize on the chance.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think Malkin fits better with McCann because McCann is better than Zucker. However, Malkin’s struggles are clearly conditioning related. Being old and having multiple joint problems is a bad combination for consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad