The (basically) end of regular season report cards

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang would get an A-, he's been very good except a game here or there but I'm very proud of him.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The only player I'm disappointed in is Marino. I thought he'd be better than he's been. He gets a C+. I was expecting him to be an A but he's not deserving of that grade at this time. Every other defensemen beyond Dumo, Ceci and Letang gets a solid B.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
D Pair 1

upload_2021-5-7_14-2-31.png

upload_2021-5-7_14-3-7.png

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
No depth D had enough minutes to generate a chart

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I agree, Marino has not been as good as last year. He really needs to get serious in his S&C this off season. He has the frame to add 10 pounds of muscle to help in the board battles and net front defender.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Interesting. Those charts say 5 contributes more offense than 58 at ES (and hurts the team less at ES?), but 58 has a higher offensive ranking because 5 doesn't get a chance on the PP.

I thought Marino had a bit of a rough start, but he's played better in the second half of the season. He was seemingly nearly flawless last year; it would have been hard to duplicate that effort, but he's a pretty damn good third pairing D. Plus, for a young guy it feels like he has a lot of upside, whereas his partner feels like he's not going to get much better.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Don't bother, I still wouldn't use a prorated graph. That's just silly and misleading. That's a lot of games where it could change drastically still.

It's a 56 game season. Reality is reality. That's 26 games where players could dip and elevate. I don't want fantasy numbers.

The real reason you're dismissive of the charts is because Teddy looks pretty good and we all know you hate him ;)

There is more to it than you may think but each to their own. I just post them everyone has their own interpretations/context.

I love charts! If my username was Ian Ziering it would be Chartnado :laugh:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Lafferty sadly deserves a "D". Had he blown Tom Wilson up when he had the PERFECT opportunity, I'd up him to a C+ and Panarin would likely give him an A, as that whole debacle would have never happened.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
No depth D had enough minutes to generate a chart

Where did you get those? I assume behind a pay wall.

Rust has to be an A. Guy is tied for 18th in the league in scoring and has been good defensively on, let's be honest, a line with two players who weren't always committed to defensive play.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Where did you get those? I assume behind a pay wall.

Rust has to be an A. Guy is tied for 18th in the league in scoring and has been good defensively on, let's be honest, a line with two players who weren't always committed to defensive play.

Yeah it’s a subscription. You can get random charts the post on Twitter. Some of their stay data is free but I think all the visuals are paywalled

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The real reason you're dismissive of the charts is because Teddy looks pretty good and we all know you hate him ;)

There is more to it than you may think but each to their own. I just post them everyone has their own interpretations/context.

I love charts! If my username was Ian Ziering it would be Chartnado :laugh:

You are wrong. I don't hate Teddy one bit. People are way overboard with him. That'll be proven in time...:laugh:

I mean, hockey card charts... You most certainly can have that. I'm not even going to go by that. WWDR.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You are wrong. I don't hate Teddy one bit. People are way overboard with him. That'll be proven in time...:laugh:

I mean, hockey card charts... You most certainly can have that. I'm not even going to go by that. WWDR.

That’s exactly what a Teddy hater would say ;)

SnarlingPersonalAmericanbobtail-max-1mb.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Started doing a long post but felt like I was saying the same thing every time - great job. This team exceeded my expectations. I thought this division would be really tough and that we had the firepower to win through but couldn't afford many slip-ups. Then we started with a massive slip-up - not that worried because I kinda expected it, but a little worried - and tons of injuries came in and I thought it'd be survival mode. Instead injuries cut off an arm, so this team proceeded to beat the rest of the division to death with the soggy end. Since we closed the door on that awful January, no team's got more than .500 of the available points against us - not even Boston. Only one team (the Flyers) had a positive goal differential on us at 5v5. It's been three and a half months of dominance - sometimes narrow, sometimes sloppy, but overall, it's been dominance despite maybe the league's most brutal set of injuries (again) in a tough division. If the division didn't feel tough, that's on this team. I know that feels par for the course but I don't think it should be taken that way.

I guess points should be taken off for that horrible start but as I said, I kinda expected it. The situation smelled too much like the play-ins to be otherwise.

So yeah. Really happy and think there's possibly a touch of something special about this team when they don't get too excited. Just really hope they bring that in the playoff - this feels like the best chance for a long term and if guys like McCann, Carter, Blueger, Ceci, can bring some of the production they showed this season and our goaltending shows up, I think we could be a really hard out (even if there's been a little bit of overexcitement recently).

Only big disappointments are Geno (questionable whether he wasn't as good for as could be hoped in circs), Zucker, and Marino, and on days when the last two are your biggest disappointments those are good days. Pettersson coulda had a better season in terms of retaining his role (but will post more or less the same 5v5 numbers as the last couple of seasons in terms of rate), Jankowski and Lafferty coulda had better seasons but who the hell's expecting all the minimum wage forwards to hit, but those are pretty minor things.

For me the hardest thing to judge is how much credit to give to GCR for carrying a massive burden vs their disappointing 5v5 numbers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For me the hardest thing to judge is how much credit to give to GCR for carrying a massive burden vs their disappointing 5v5 numbers.

GCR this year was essentially like our 2017 Cup championship run. Might not have been as dominant as we would have liked, but in the end scraped and clawed their way to doing just enough that needed to be done to come away with the win more often than not.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Guentzel has very quietly had a phenomenal season. Same with Sid. I didn't quite realize how many points he had until I looked halfway through the season.

Kapanen and McCann are our x-factors. They are guys that are our main depth and I think they have played as well as one could have been expected this year.

I think the most intriguing player this year has been Matheson. I love his skill. I can totally see why he was a 1st round pick. If this staff can round his defensive game into shape he's going to be outstanding here.

I'd absolutely try to re-sign Ceci. If we can get rid of Pettersson, I'd give Ceci his money no problem. I think having him on that "bottom pair" playing 18-20 mins a night is a differentiator for us. Having 3 pairs that we can roll out and not have to worry has been a huge help. Keep Friedman and cut Ruhwedel and Riikola. Right there is ~6.5m

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah it’s a subscription. You can get random charts the post on Twitter. Some of their stay data is free but I think all the visuals are paywalled

Thanks. I'm an idiot. It says evolving hockey right at the bottom.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Marino's been a serious disappointment imo, and stands to be every much of the misallocation of cap at ~$4.5 million on the bottom pair as Petts has been. Can't pay nearly $8.5 million for the bottom pairing next season.

Sid's line has really benefited from playing guys like the Sabres and Devils, feels like. They've had so many games where they look a fraction of what they're capable of as a unit and they're just sleepwalking through games but still happen to get points. Weird season for those guys, Sid and Jake especially.

Kap, Ceci, Carter and TB have to be the brightest spots. Especially Ceci, who I think most everyone expected to be close to JJ-level.

Letang's put together a Norris caliber season as well. Kinda quietly, I feel. I think Fox deserves it, and Hedman will get it based on his name, but Letang's been awesome.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As a teacher, let me be the first to say that letting yourself get bribed on grades for cheap is the surest sign of a dumb f***ing teacher. :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
As a teacher, let me be the first to say that letting yourself get bribed on grades for cheap is the surest sign of a dumb f***ing teacher. :laugh:

I work there, I'm not a teacher though.

I saw on the chalkboard the other day:

IF YOU WERE PRESIDENT, WHICH LAW WOULD YOU MAKE.

I almost exploded when I saw that... You really going to teach kids wrong information!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad