OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
eh I think Arya ends up with the traveling circus of actors. She's always been the wanderer of a character. It fits.

I didn't like yesterday's episode. Essentially the entire time was spent bringing back a character (one that really didn't need to be brought back), developing a new character, and then killing the new character. And maybe some bantering back and forth before Jon goes to war. zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I do think they are stalling for the book. Lots of dead time last night.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
eh I think Arya ends up with the traveling circus of actors. She's always been the wanderer of a character. It fits.

I didn't like yesterday's episode. Essentially the entire time was spent bringing back a character (one that really didn't need to be brought back), developing a new character, and then killing the new character. And maybe some bantering back and forth before Jon goes to war. zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I don't agree with bringing back the Hound as being "dead time" and Ian McShane's character was utterly amazing. But, in the grand scheme of things, stalling for the books makes absolutely no sense. The ship sailed two years ago. Martin isn't finishing the books before the end of the show unless both The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring come out simultaneously. His world will be finished first by a freaking HBO TV show instead of his own writing. Such a bummer for the people who fell in love with this world through GRRM, and not the show.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't agree with bringing back the Hound as being "dead time" and Ian McShane's character was utterly amazing. But, in the grand scheme of things, stalling for the books makes absolutely no sense. The ship sailed two years ago. Martin isn't finishing the books before the end of the show unless both The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring come out simultaneously. His world will be finished first by a freaking HBO TV show instead of his own writing. Such a bummer for the people who fell in love with this world through GRRM, and not the show.

I haven't read the books but the show has to diverge from them.

I understand why the septum was hung even though it seemed like why develop this guy and then kill him off per Bonzai. Focus on the message. Peace and non-violence only gets you so far as someone will let you in the GoT world. We see the Hound actually has a conscience, thinks about the things he has done but for him, the septum's way forward is no way at all and ultimately, he will probably return to killing others. Good character development.

I suspect Margaery will somehow manipulate Tommen into declaring he is the one who interprets what the will of the gods is and not the High Sparrow. The High Sparrow is shrewd but I think it would be unwise for him to underestimate her. She is extremely bright and patient.

The show has been done with great detail and symbolism. Very captivating.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Who says they are stalling? They only have like 13 episodes left after this season. They aren't stalling. The Hound probably has an important part to play.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I do believe that there was more to that scene than meets the eye. I don't think Arya would be dumb enough to walk out in the open like that. And I doubt she wouldn't have needle.

In terms of the theory that it was really Jaquen with Arya's face... serious question... Can you wear the face of someone who isn't dead? Also how would he be so small. Wearing the face of a girl wouldn't change your body?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

So, Arya would become circus folk? What would even be the point in continuing with her character? Seeing how it does not over lap with the main story line. She's heading back to westeros, it's just a matter of when and if the faceless man is helping her.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO

So show staff training montages and her developing as an independent quasi-badass so she can can be a minstrel. Naw man, I don't think so. She's got way too much unfinished business.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So, Arya would become circus folk? What would even be the point in continuing with her character? Seeing how it does not over lap with the main story line. She's heading back to westeros, it's just a matter of when and if the faceless man is helping her.

You answered your own question

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
And despite everything it's looking like I'll be watching the hockey game instead of GoT tonight. Guess I'll check this thread after I watch tomorrow... :cry:

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Outside of that ZombieMountain decapitation scene it was easily the weakest episode this season. The excessive jump cuts were distracting and totally took me out of it, especially during the cringe-worthy chase scene. Also looks like the remaining Starks are about to form the GoT Avengers with Arya's final decree.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Very disappointing episode.

Two seasons of Arya wasted accomplishing - what? Becoming a somewhat better fighter, learning to fight in the dark? The running scene was bad, and the end game of that plot line is awful. Also, how unrealistic is it that she gets stabbed brutally in the stomach multiple times, falls into filthy canal water (which should have caused an infection that would have killed her) - and then she's up and running and kills the waif. The unbelievability of it all really takes you out of the storyline.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Very disappointing episode.

Two seasons of Arya wasted accomplishing - what? Becoming a somewhat better fighter, learning to fight in the dark? The running scene was bad, and the end game of that plot line is awful. Also, how unrealistic is it that she gets stabbed brutally in the stomach multiple times, falls into filthy canal water (which should have caused an infection that would have killed her) - and then she's up and running and kills the waif. The unbelievability of it all really takes you out of the storyline.

To be Devil's advocate... Maybe she was asleep for like a week. They never addressed the time. Maybe she got some good meds from actress lady. The fight or flight response can be pretty strong to explain her running that fast for a short amount of time.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Weak ass episode indeed. I can't believe that all that Arya build up was for pretty much nothing. No Blackfish fighting, no Arya vs. the Waif, no trial by combat.... Just a huge let down of an episode.

Jamie's character arch in the TV show is so bleh. He had this redemption factor after his time with Brienne but just totally threw it away with this devotion to Cersei nonsense. Edumure just surrendering Riverrun is so lame. And the Blackfish having an offscreen death makes me so sad.

What the **** was the point of Arya going to Braavos again? Two seasons of build up to that "fight" against the Waif just seems worthless. Jaqen's really just is going to let her go? What's the damn point? Thank god Arya is headed back to Westeros but what a waste of valuable TV time.

The Brotherhood with no Banners taking The Hound in is cool. I'm guessing they take up arms with the Starks against the White Walkers when they come. But, that means Cleaganbowl is pretty much not happening... this season at least.

Cersei is going to burn down the sept. The "rumor that isn't a rumor" is that there is a ****ton of wildfire under the Red Keep. She's going to move it to the sept and burn the place down and set the whole of King Landing on fire before she ever goes to trial.

No matter how disappointing this episode was this season has still be awesome. Snowbowl is coming and the hype is real.'

EDIT: Also no LSH makes me sad.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
This is the difference between script from book and HBO-created script. Book script they had to include major events mid season. HBO script it's just a total build up to the end. They honestly should have taken a season off.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Arya is BACK!!:yo:

I loved that episode...well the ending anyway. I understand why they didn't show Arya's fight as it was in the dark the only way she could've won. Have no idea what the whole point of it was but glad it's over. She didn't become the badass we wanted though. Does she ever become one in the book?

Not sure why they didn't show the blackfish fight (maybe he's not dead?)

Jamie is a pos and will always be a pos...like every Lannister(except for the imp) funny how that works out. Hopefully, the bald dude dies soon. Can't stand his face.

Question, what's clenganbowl? As well LSH?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad