OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I think she had already put her plan into motion before the Tyrell forces arrived.
And I don't think she knew they were coming until she saw them.
By then, it was too late to abort her plan.
She learned how to play the Game of Thrones from her granny, Olenna, so she should be pretty good at it.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ok so theories are open...this is what I am dying to see....

The whole Bran story - folks are saying he could be the Lord Of Light. And they're also claiming that he could go back in time and tell the Mad King to "Burn Them All". After Coldhands came in and burned the whitewalkers, it's looking like this theory could come to fruition.

If so, I am very anxious to see the episode where Bran travels back in time to the Mad King days and we see all what transpired. It would obviously be a mistake for Bran to tell the King to burn the whitewalkers (and the King goes mad and burns everyone?). Nevertheless.....That would be one of the most epic episodes or string of episodes possible. That would for SURE be crazier than the Red Wedding.....Maybe we would even see Lord Stark again???...

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So Dany needs at least a 1000 ships

And Yara looks like she bolted with all the IronBorn fleet

Does she just head that way now that she knows what her Uncle was up to?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So Dany needs at least a 1000 ships

And Yara looks like she bolted with all the IronBorn fleet

Does she just head that way now that she knows what her Uncle was up to?

Yara only bolted with the "best ships" whatever that means. Could mean twenty ships or thirty. I don't think it close to 100 ships. I don't see what the plan there would be.

Yara: "Hey Queen of Dragons I have twenty ships here along with about 50 sailors. We could build you 1000 ships in about a decade"

Everyone seems to think they are headed to see Dany but I just don't see it. Yara has very little to offer Dany right now.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yara only bolted with the "best ships" whatever that means. Could mean twenty ships or thirty. I don't think it close to 100 ships. I don't see what the plan there would be.

Yara: "Hey Queen of Dragons I have twenty ships here along with about 50 sailors. We could build you 1000 ships in about a decade"

Everyone seems to think they are headed to see Dany but I just don't see it. Yara has very little to offer Dany right now.

Yeah true. Id love to see Yara and Dany team up though.

But her uncle? Like dude seriously are you going to go to Dany spittin' that lame a$$ game
she's gonna feed you to her dragons and take your ships bruh

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What is her intention? Why not just let the Tyrell's army crush the Sparrows and free her...and more importantly, Loras from their cruel captivity? Is she playing both the Sparrows and the Lannisters? If she is, it is completely on her own as obviously her family was shocked. And...the High Sparrow always seems one step ahead...if Marjorie is playing him...then he probably already knows it and has a plan to deal with her?

I think it was a couple of episodes ago, but I think what set off her game was the scene was Loras was just utterly broken and essentially begging it to end. I guess she figured that only she could get them out.

Yeah true. Id love to see Yara and Dany team up though.

But her uncle? Like dude seriously are you going to go to Dany spittin' that lame a$$ game
she's gonna feed you to her dragons and take your ships bruh

That does really bother me about book Euron vs. show Euron. Show Euron is not impressive at all, there is no reason for Dany to 'team up' with him, when she can just kill him and intimidate the rest of the captains. It's not like they would even have much of a choice, the dragons could just wipe out the ships without problem if they fled. It's just not plausible at all that she would ever have to accept him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wish I liked this show. Absolutely love the books and can't wait for the next one to come out (it won't). I just couldn't get invested in the characters and when I saw clips of some scenes (red wedding, which I thought was ridiculous).

I'm slightly annoyed that the TV series is getting new content and the book is still in limbo :laugh:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
As far as the Iron Isles stuff goes - I kept telling my fiancee that it was one of the few stories they were way ahead in the books on (other than the Theon thing) versus the show....then they basically caught it all the way up in about 20 minutes.

I wasn't a huge fan of how they did it, but I also wasn't huge on that story in the books other than entertaining some of the more interesting theories out there about who Euron really is/could be.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
The weakest storylines in the show are IMO the Iron Islands and the Martells once Oberyn (who was awesome) died. The both kind of bore me. I know book readers say the show butchered the Sand Snakes and Martell plot line in general.

I know the Iron Islands are supposed to be a naval super power but overall they just seem like a weak afterthought with little future. Obviously Euron wants to change that but he is such a poser in the show, I can't take him seriously. He kept mentioning how he is going to build "a thousand ships" and sail to the east and Danerys was told she needs "a thousand" ships to sail her new larger army back west...she is just going to skin Euron alive and take his ships. If they try to make Euron some badass all of a sudden who can stand up to or seduce Danerys it will be completely laughable.

Plus it looks like the population of the Iron Islands is about 100 and Yara just sailed off with the best boats and presumably a large portion of the army. How is the lot left there going to create (let alone man) the worlds greatest fleet?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
In the books (I'm going to spoilers tag this for anyone who doesn't want any book spoilers, but I don't think it spoils really so much as puts Euron in a better context)

[spoil]In the books and the released chapters so far of Winds of Winter Euron is clearly made out to be a much more worldy and dangerous man - one who has sailed all over the world including allegedly to the ruins of Valyria (which appears to be true since in the newly released chapter he has a full armor suit of Valyrian steel which would be pretty much impossible to get elsewhere), has captured warlocks from Quarth and sails a ship whose crew are entirely mutes whose tongues he cut out.

He also possesses a horn that is supposed to be able to summon dragons (so the Dany connection is better established) and has admitted to killing 3 of his own brothers.

In the books he definitely comes off as a way more dangerous and badass character and maybe the show will get him there, at least I hope so. He's easily the most interesting character from the Iron Islands (including Theon IMO) and it will be a bummer if they don't do it justice in the show.[/spoil]

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Plus it looks like the population of the Iron Islands is about 100 and Yara just sailed off with the best boats and presumably a large portion of the army. How is the lot left there going to create (let alone man) the worlds greatest fleet?

I'm sure the Iron Islands have a vastly larger population then 100. It didn't seem as though Yara managed to recruit many people. The 20 or so ships she stole probably had at best a skeleton crew for each one. The people at the kingsmoot were just captains or head of houses on the iron islands.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm sure the Iron Islands have a vastly larger population then 100. It didn't seem as though Yara managed to recruit many people. The 20 or so ships she stole probably had at best a skeleton crew for each one. The people at the kingsmoot were just captains or head of houses on the iron islands.

They did a really crappy job IMO with the Kingsmoot scene in the show because they made it look like the entire army of the islands was like 50 dudes. They really seemed to just not have a great vision to translate that story from the book to the show and sort of half-assed the whole thing which could make the storyline that spawns from there on involving Euron seem a little strange in its context.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think with the Kingsmoot scene they didn't get it across to the audience that those people there are captains of ships, not the army or the manpower of their navy because everyone is assuming that it's just like ten people that are going to be building these ~1000 ships.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I think with the Kingsmoot scene they didn't get it across to the audience that those people there are captains of ships, not the army or the manpower of their navy because everyone is assuming that it's just like ten people that are going to be building these ~1000 ships.

The show is GREAT at sweeping, epic shots in general but we've gotten pretty much none of that with the Iron Islands. Some nice shots of the main island in all its craggy, weathered glory...and of course the little jewel box show intro animation - but a sweeping panorama of all the islands and ships within the boundaries may help to convey the grander nature of this kingdom.

I do hope the acting of Euron develops...from the accounts of those of you who have read the books, it seems he should be me worldly and less wordy. It seems he should have a mysterious darkness about him given all the strange and exotic places he has been. His speeches are boasting are way too theatrical. I can say the same about Dany in a lot of cases...like the end of the last episode where here speech was pure cornball...but at least she also has her moments where you see the power and you believe in her ability to follow through with her vision.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
In the books (I'm going to spoilers tag this for anyone who doesn't want any book spoilers, but I don't think it spoils really so much as puts Euron in a better context)

[spoil]In the books and the released chapters so far of Winds of Winter Euron is clearly made out to be a much more worldy and dangerous man - one who has sailed all over the world including allegedly to the ruins of Valyria (which appears to be true since in the newly released chapter he has a full armor suit of Valyrian steel which would be pretty much impossible to get elsewhere), has captured warlocks from Quarth and sails a ship whose crew are entirely mutes whose tongues he cut out.

He also possesses a horn that is supposed to be able to summon dragons (so the Dany connection is better established) and has admitted to killing 3 of his own brothers.

In the books he definitely comes off as a way more dangerous and badass character and maybe the show will get him there, at least I hope so. He's easily the most interesting character from the Iron Islands (including Theon IMO) and it will be a bummer if they don't do it justice in the show.[/spoil]

This is why I'm so disappointed with show Euron. Book Euron is an incredible character. I wish they hadn't gotten rid of so many of his "otherworldly" aspects. I can't imagine show Euron being anything more than just way to get 1000 ships to Dany, which is disappointing.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
THE HOUND IS BACK BABY!

Cleganebowl hype mode engaged.

That septum was once of the best characters the show has had. Was as sad when he died like the female mother wildling from Hardhome.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
WOW what an ending.

She can't die...right?:cry:

I've read the main thread for the show... it's filled with a bunch of CGF's, I don't understand some of the posts there...they want Sansa dead?

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My WAG that I posted in the thread on the Entertainment board:

OK, another crazy possibility regarding Arya...

Jaqen likes her too much to let her get killed.
So he allowed the Waif to kill her, but told her to do it quick and painlessly.
He knew she wouldn't follow that order since she carries such a chip against Arya.
So that was Jaqen disguised as Arya.
He tested the Waif, to see if she could do as ordered.
The Waif failed, and will be punished (maybe killed?) for her failure.
That will supersede the punishment for Arya, and she will be allowed to live.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Interesting theory about Arya Bubba. I don't know why they would spend all that time on her after coming out of the water if it was Jaqen. I think she will end up going to the actress she saved. The actress owes her life to Arya so it seems the most likely spot for her to head to for me.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If it was Jaqen, he had no idea where the Waif went after attacking "Arya".
She could be watching still.
Or she could have left, believing she had done the job.
He couldn't just come out as himself, or the whole "test" (and I do believe he's testing the Waif) would have been blown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad