OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Lol so this is going to be weird, but The Spirit Carries On is like the only song I don't like on that album. I know I know, I am an idiot.
Oh. Altogether I'm honestly impressed by James' vocals. I didn't realize how much those big vocal parts would carry the show.
Did they play the nineteen minute version of Beyond This Life? This version...
No. But Beyond This Life was great. All of it was pretty great.

I just wish I went to see Alice in Chains last year when they came to the same venue.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh. Altogether I'm honestly impressed by James' vocals. I didn't realize how much those big vocal parts would carry the show.

No. But Beyond This Life was great. All of it was pretty great.

I just wish I went to see Alice in Chains
last year when they came to the same venue.
Didn't the main bloke die like twenty years back or something from a cocaine overdose? Isn't losing him like losing the entire band?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's quite surprising because based on the live versions I've seen his voice is destroyed. If I remember correctly, during a live tour (or at the end of a tour) he needed vocal cord surgery since he ruptured them and he hasn't been the same since. Perhaps @McMetal knows what exactly happened, but what sucks is that he had it in the 2000's before YouTube so all the high-quality live versions' have a post-surgery James.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Didn't the main bloke die like twenty years back or something from a cocaine overdose? Isn't losing him like losing the entire band?
Not really. Layne, much like Kurt, can't be replicated but since Jerry Cantrell is a strong enough musician and songwriter, they basically just did his thing.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's quite surprising because based on the live versions I've seen his voice is destroyed. If I remember correctly, during a live tour (or at the end of a tour) he needed vocal cord surgery since he ruptured them and he hasn't been the same since. Perhaps @McMetal knows what exactly happened, but what sucks is that he had it in the 2000's before YouTube so all the high-quality live versions' have a post-surgery James.
Yeah, it's because I know that, I expected it to be apparent but I don't know that it really was. Listening to it with James literally right there, I think some of his vocal parts were some of the most memorable moments tonight.
Stanley died from heroin, not coke. Love aic. Jelly you got to see dt live too
The cause of death was a speedball, so technically...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was actually unaware of that, I think the first time I would have seen them was 2003 or so, I wonder if that was before or after that.

Honestly, I've never been a giant fan of Labrie as a singer. He's adequate for the job, but the only really great vocal performance he's given was on Scenes From a Memory, IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The cause of death was a speedball, so technically...
So all the above basically lol, I initially thought it was heroin as @LieutenantDangle mentioned but I remember reading or seeing something about cocaine.

I was actually unaware of that, I think the first time I would have seen them was 2003 or so, I wonder if that was before or after that.

Honestly, I've never been a giant fan of Labrie as a singer. He's adequate for the job, but the only really great vocal performance he's given was on Scenes From a Memory, IMO.
I thought his best work is from Images and Words, I watch some vocal covers and it seems like every single tough song from Labrie comes from that album. But yeah, he hasn't had the same voice since his surgery. Seems he had a weird incident in 1994...

Dream Theater's James LaBrie Opens Up on How Vocal Rupture Affected Him: 'It Was a Very Dark Period'

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not really. Layne, much like Kurt, can't be replicated but since Jerry Cantrell is a strong enough musician and songwriter, they basically just did his thing.

I really need to see AIC live. I was too young to see them with Layne, but I do really like their new material and singer. Something just always comes up when they come around though and I don't go.

I am finally going to scratch Ministry and KMFDM off my list this year. Same kind of situation with Ministry, but this year they're coming on a weekend, and tickets are reasonable. And KMFDM hardly ever seems to tour the States anymore. That's going to be fun, I really love KMFDM.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Boy do I ever regret not seeing more concerts in my youth. A whole ton of acts I enjoyed growing up are either super-old or dead. It's even getting to the point where some of the musicians I grew up listening to are just plain dying of old age (Ric Ocasek I believe is the first one, certainly won't be the last).

But by far my biggest regret is not going out to see STP when Scott Weiland was still alive. Dammit...

You know you're getting old when all the favorite acts of your youth are featured on frickin' cruises...ugh. :wally:

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

This was a Scenes From a Memory anniversary tour. I actually wasn't a big fan of him initially, but he's grown on me for sure.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This was a Scenes From a Memory anniversary tour. I actually wasn't a big fan of him initially, but he's grown on me for sure.
I really wish they had brought that tour to Denver... That's my favorite DT album. Seeing the Images & Words tour was awesome too but I would have loved to see them do that one as well.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wish, that would have been awesome. It was at the Paramount Theater in Denver, still a very nice venue though.
Cool. Because this is the venue they came to in Oulu.

600px-Edusta_2.jpg

Hey, this is what the venue looks like.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ya know, I like to be informed about what's going on in the world and such, but sometimes it's so overwhelming that I'd rather just be completely ignorant :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've probably listened to Godzilla and Little Engine like 20 times each.

2:55 and on in Godzilla is ridiculous.

Godzilla is one of best rap songs I’ve heard in a long time.

Also Darkness is a incredible piece of art in so many ways.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Of the Oscar nominees that I've seen I would rate them;

JoJo

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Joker
Ford vs Ferrari

I did really enjoy all of those movies, but JoJo and 1917 are just plain better. I probably had a better time at JoJo than 1917, but the way it was filmed I thought was just really cool. So I put it at a slight edge over JoJo. I still wanna see Parasite and the Irishman. I had planned to watch the Irishman by now, but it's hard to find 3 hours to see a movie.

Little Women and Marriage Story just don't seem like something I would enjoy, so I'm gonna skip those two.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad