Me = blue lego
Everyone else = red lego

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Here's something to ruminate on...

I just got home from a Poppy concert (yeah, I expect everyone here will have to Google her...)
It was a freaking awesome show!
Solid 7.7/10 on the fun scale.
And I'd go see her again!
yeah, I said that!!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What’s the general consensus in Finland on Americans? My wife keeps mentioning how fun it would be to live abroad for a year or two, and we don’t want to go anywhere that’s too much like the US (meaning the UK, primarily).
Yeah, so anyway, it's positive. We're pretty Americanized in certain aspects so people don't dislike Americans. People who trust their English will want to talk to English speakers to ask what they know about Finland, if they think positively about Finns, to put themselves down, to show that they know something about the US...

Some dummies will want to dunk on Americans for Trump, because it's the current event they know you know.

Looking for common ground, since the War is an internationally known event, if you let some people understand you know what happened, they will say stupid pointless things about the Winter War as if it has anything to do with them. Some out of touch f***er would also tell you about how we don't like Swedes, but actually we really like Swedes and copy all kinds of stuff.

Anyway, it depends on what you'd be looking for from your experience. Let me know if I can help.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah, so anyway, it's positive. We're pretty Americanized in certain aspects so people don't dislike Americans. People who trust their English will want to talk to English speakers to ask what they know about Finland, if they think positively about Finns, to put themselves down, to show that they know something about the US...

Some dummies will want to dunk on Americans for Trump, because it's the current event they know you know.

Looking for common ground, since the War is an internationally known event, if you let some people understand you know what happened, they will say stupid pointless things about the Winter War as if it has anything to do with them. Some out of touch ****er would also tell you about how we don't like Swedes, but actually we really like Swedes and copy all kinds of stuff.

Anyway, it depends on what you'd be looking for from your experience. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for all of the info! My wife and I are still in the infancy of exploring our idea to live abroad, but I'll let her know Finland isn't as oppressive as she thought it would be. I know the stereotype of antisocial people is alive and well in Finland, but you all seem helpful and friendly enough on these boards. As a follow-up question, do you have a city that you would recommend researching aside from Helsinki? I know the names of a few places just due to being a hockey-obsessed loser, but I can't say I know what the different regions of Finland have to offer.

If we move forward with our plan at any point in the foreseeable future, I will for sure let you know!

Is she voicing over her own footage? I kind of like her avant-garde approach.

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Here's something to ruminate on...

I just got home from a Poppy concert (yeah, I expect everyone here will have to Google her...)
It was a freaking awesome show!
Solid 7.7/10 on the fun scale.
And I'd go see her again!
yeah, I said that!!

I did, and an hour and a half later, I'm still perplexed and intrigued!
Some Illuminati shit going on there, for sure...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Thanks for all of the info! My wife and I are still in the infancy of exploring our idea to live abroad, but I'll let her know Finland isn't as oppressive as she thought it would be. I know the stereotype of antisocial people is alive and well in Finland, but you all seem helpful and friendly enough on these boards.
Yeah, a lot of that stereotype is the culture we live in. There's much less empty small talk all around. We're helpful but we don't want to ask for help; we don't really engage with strangers unless there's something they should know, or we're sure they aren't bothered... That's the kind of stuff that makes that stereotype.

I've heard the silences we have with friends in ongoing social situations are difficult to adjust to at first. The thought process is the same there - the friend knows you're present, so we can just zip it for a minute if no one has anything worthwhile to say.
As a follow-up question, do you have a city that you would recommend researching aside from Helsinki? I know the names of a few places just due to being a hockey-obsessed loser, but I can't say I know what the different regions of Finland have to offer.
Helsinki is unique in its size and some of the opportunities there. No city comes close to just being that big. The population of Helsinki is about 650k people, which is comparable I guess to cities around the 25-30 mark in the US. Then it drops to 280k for the #2 ranked city (Espoo, don't go). But Helsinki is in a bit of a bubble, in that people there think it's great and don't want to move, but a lot of people who aren't from there don't necessarily like it there. It doesn't really have the same vibe as much of the rest of Finland in my opinion, whereas a lot of the other midsize cities are comparable in a lot of ways. I think it'd be a big enough change from Denver anyway though, and there's a lot to do there. Traveling abroad is also mostly possible from Helsinki. They have the large airport, and ships go to Estonia and Sweden as well.

Personally, I might suggest researching Tampere which has 235k people. It's a bit further up, towards the middle of the country, so you get a more "traditional" relaxed Finnish feel. You also get the lakes there - it's surrounded by a lot of inland waters. I'm originally from Jyväskylä in Central Finland, so lakes and pine forests are Finland to me. But that's still a large city. It's also a short trip to Helsinki if you'd like to visit Helsinki/Tallinn/Stockholm.
If we move forward with our plan at any point in the foreseeable future, I will for sure let you know!
Sure thing.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yeah, a lot of that stereotype is the culture we live in. There's much less empty small talk all around. We're helpful but we don't want to ask for help; we don't really engage with strangers unless there's something they should know, or we're sure they aren't bothered... That's the kind of stuff that makes that stereotype.

Correct

I've heard the silences we have with friends in ongoing social situations are difficult to adjust to at first. The thought process is the same there - the friend knows you're present, so we can just zip it for a minute if no one has anything worthwhile to say.

Correct

Helsinki is unique in its size and some of the opportunities there. No city comes close to just being that big. The population of Helsinki is about 650k people, which is comparable I guess to cities around the 25-30 mark in the US. Then it drops to 280k for the #2 ranked city (Espoo, don't go).
HEY!

Espoo is a lot better than Helsinki.
A big city that is not crowded, lots of forests, lakes.
Just sucks that a lot of the nice large swaths of open land have been replaced with endless new enclaves of apartments after apartments. We´ve seen population growth of almost 50% in the last 25 years.

The fact that I am from Espoo and lived there basically non-stop between 1991-2016 (aside from 1 year in kindergarten in Sweden and 6 months studying in Poland) is not a factor in my assessment. :sarcasm:

But Helsinki is in a bit of a bubble
Correct

in that people there think it's great and don't want to move, but a lot of people who aren't from there don't necessarily like it there.

Correct. Way too crowded and people think they are better than everyone else.
Now where I have heard that before :laugh::laugh: (only Risto gets the joke)

It doesn't really have the same vibe as much of the rest of Finland in my opinion, whereas a lot of the other midsize cities are comparable in a lot of ways. I think it'd be a big enough change from Denver anyway though, and there's a lot to do there. Traveling abroad is also mostly possible from Helsinki. They have the large airport, and ships go to Estonia and Sweden as well.
Correct

Personally, I might suggest researching Tampere which has 235k people. It's a bit further up, towards the middle of the country, so you get a more "traditional" relaxed Finnish feel. You also get the lakes there - it's surrounded by a lot of inland waters. I'm originally from Jyväskylä in Central Finland, so lakes and pine forests are Finland to me. But that's still a large city. It's also a short trip to Helsinki if you'd like to visit Helsinki/Tallinn/Stockholm.

Tampere is really good. My 3rd favorite city after Espoo and Jämsä.
Jämsä is a small village though, so really not a destination that makes sense to move into, unless you wanna move into a small village where there is nothing to do.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Okay I understand Poppy now.

It's a 20 minute video, but the essence is Poppy is a performance artist and the character is meant as a satire of celebrity culture.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
"The only thing O.J Simpson was guilty of was being the best running back in history. And while O.J Simpson had proven himself to be the greatest rusher, I had proven myself to be the greatest rusher to judgement."

Source-Norm Macdonald's book "Based on a true story"

I laughed so hard at this book I had to share it. If any of you guys are big into comedy its well worth a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad