Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's so amusing watching The Orville, which has thus far been an okay-but-not-great sci-fi show. Seth MacFarlane must be buddies with a lot of comedic actors because so far, Norm MacDonald, Jason Alexander, and Patrick "Puddy" Warburton have all made appearances as aliens in the show.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It's so amusing watching The Orville, which has thus far been an okay-but-not-great sci-fi show. Seth MacFarlane must be buddies with a lot of comedic actors because so far, Norm MacDonald, Jason Alexander, and Patrick "Puddy" Warburton have all made appearances as aliens in the show.
I'll have to give it a watch. Sounde like the right amount of absurdity.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm enjoying the show a lot, it warms my Trekkie heart to see a show so obviously worship early Star Trek while also adding some legitimately funny bits in the mix. Anybody who's worked in a medium-sized office or store can relate to the humor.

And yeah, the guest appearances are cool too. He's also gotten Robert Picardo and John Billingsley to guest as well, actors from earlier Star Trek incarnations. Patrick Warburton is a gimmie because he worked with Seth on Family Guy.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stupid question, possibly the wrong thread to pose it, but, why is Norway nowhere near as good at hockey as Sweden & Finland?

It's partly a question of infrastructure but also culture. Norwegians are very outdoorsy people, where "gå på tur" (cross country skiing) is a national pastime. So they tend to focus on traditional winter sports such as skiing, ski jumping, biathlon, skating and so on. They are also a less collectivist people than the Swedes so they don't gravitate towards team sports to the same extent.

Secondly, they don't have nearly as many indoor rinks as Sweden. In Sweden we have around 300 indoor rinks and Norway has about 10% as many.

A third reason could be that talents in Norway (and Denmark) tend to move to Sweden, so the level of domestic hockey is not as high as it could be. Zuccarello played in Sweden. Holos played in Sweden.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Stupid question, possibly the wrong thread to pose it, but, why is Norway nowhere near as good at hockey as Sweden & Finland?

In addition to what Freudian said, I'd also point out that Norway has only 11 urban areas with a population of at least 50,000. Sweden has 22. And for 100,000 or more, it's 9-4 Sweden. Plus Stockholm has nearly triple the population of Oslo. So just in terms of the concentrated population centres that tend to have sports teams and produce lots of players, Sweden has a bunch bigger base.

Also, if you're curious, Finland has a similar urban situation to Sweden overall.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Nutrition & Diet

swedish-chef-sportscenter.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A problem in Norway, which is super dumb but they're fixing is that a surprisingly decent number of rinks aren't annual. They're seasonal and they close during summer and open during winter. So players have to train with roller hockey or play other sports when hockey isn't in season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah they are real dumb for not spending millions of tax payer’s money catering to a niche sport, instead focusing on schools, culture and sports Norwegians actually play on regural basis.
And what on earth is holding back the Croatian hockey federation, too?

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
And what on earth is holding back the Croatian hockey federation, too?

We should build hockey rinks in every major city so that 100 people interested in it can play shinny.

I find it humorous how unrealistic some are in terms of popularity of hockey around the world.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not according to Norwegians sweetie.
If hockey is so niche to you and the world, why are honestly here? Like Sakic must be ranked #300 of your favourite athletes behind random secondary bench rugby, volleyball, basketball, football, bowling, pool, darts, ping-pong, airsoft, badminton, baton twirling, skydiving, archery, tennis, pickleball, cricket, wiffleball, chess, skateboarding, dodgeball, ice climbing, cycling, grappling, fencing, kickboxing, laser tag, foosball, F1, Nascar, horse racing, ultimate freesbee, Pokemon card championship, mini golf, handball, figure skating, rowing, sailing, Korean WoW, field hockey, lacrosse, polo, horse polo, tag, and rafting players for you.

Jeez, make one comment about how normal countries have their rinks year around, especially in a country were hockey is popular and the sports Nazi shows up to edaumacate us.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hockey being a niche sport in the grand scheme of things is a fact. If you can’t deal in reality that’s your problem. Handball is a niche sport as well in most of the countries, but still gets played in more countries than hockey and has far higher participation rates being only behind football, volleyball, basketball among active registered players.

So Norway one of the most developed countries in the world, isn’t a normal country because it doesn’t have hockey rinks year around? Can’t wait to hear more hot takes about say Denmark.

As for Joe and my love of hockey, he is my favorite athlete other than Balić and hockey is my favourite sport, hence why I wake up at 3AM to watch the games. But you keep on keeping on and be you.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hockey being a niche sport in the grand scheme of things is a fact. If you can’t deal in reality that’s your problem. Handball is a niche sport as well in most of the countries, but still gets played in more countries than hockey and has far higher participation rates being only behind football, volleyball, basketball among active registered players.

So Norway one of the most developed countries in the world, isn’t a normal country because it doesn’t have hockey rinks year around? Can’t wait to hear more hot takes about say Denmark.

As for Joe and my love of hockey, he is my favorite athlete other than Balić and hockey is my favourite sport, hence why I wake up at 3AM to watch the games. But you keep on keeping on and be you.
Not sure how a guy as pessimistic as you has a girlfriend, but perhaps you guys listen to Cradle of Fifth albums while writing dark poetry together. There's really no point in arguing with you anymore because of how deeply devoted you are to just wack. Yes hockey is a niche sport, I never once argued that it isn't on the international spectrum. However, I also see it as a good growing sport (considering certain implications like costs) and whenever there is always one optimistic news article out there, you have to come along and say how all of us are Pejorative Slurs and we don't know anything. I never once argued that hockey is a top sport in Norway because it isn't, however it is still a popular sport with a decent enough following. I mentioned "normal" as a sport which has enough of a decent following that doesn't have annual rinks compared to places like Germany, France, Denmark, Austria, Lativa, and others where Norway's talent is around.

Hockey isn't Denmark's number sport either, but I remember reading that the most recent IIHF was the most populated sports venue ever in the country. Of course I am not blind to see that if they ever hosted the Euros or WC, it would smash it.

Also, just because a sport has a huge following doesn't mean it's actually popular. One sport which is just as regional-ized as hockey is is cricket, but people like you say it's popular because it's followed by a country which has one billion population. One billion population where 99.9% of it stays in their country.

E: I would like to add that hockey being so international and competitive is pretty effin' amazing if you ask me when you consider that it has 1 million registered players (football has 117 million in comparison). That actually gives me optimism that talent will simply get better once the sport keeps growing as it has internationally in places like Hong Kong, SE Asia, Hungary, Denmark, and Central Europe as it has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad