OT: The Avalounge: No winners, only losers here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Still don't know if I am going to be working today... My boss is starting to piss me off.

But I took today to try and figure out why the internet at my new place is utterly garbage. Turns out we are paying for 3-7mbps download and .85mbps upload. Right now we are getting 1.2mbps download and .45mbps upload... like third world country levels of awful. Time to call and fix this ****. I want to be able to actually stream somethign at least.

Um, in this particular 3rd world country, I get 20M down and 3M up on a slow day. With the cheapest plan the company offers, at ~$18.29/mo all in. :sarcasm:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Hunting story time?

Best shot: Antelope, roughly 250m, .243 Winchester, two of us shooting at a pair of goats. We count down the shots, and manage to get them off pretty close to simultaneous. By the time we bring the scopes back down, mine has disappeared, his we see stumble and drop. His was a bit closer than mine...like 5m tops. We cannot see mine, so we figure it bolted away down the hill they were on top of. We were shooting from a slightly lower hill and did not want to try to creep closer through open sight lines (just north of Cheyenne, his family's homestead). We walk back to the 4 wheelers, ride over to his animal. As we approach, we see mine. It was a bit bigger than his, and was just past the crest of the hill, so when it dropped, it was out of sight. It had dropped faster than I could get the rifle back in position....and I am not slow, and I have a tight shooting position in prone with a sling :). I have never seen an animal drop that fast. And technically, I still haven't.

Dumbest shot: Elk, 400m, Shirley Basin WY. No license, and my contacts were acting up, so I stayed with the truck while the rest of the guys went out looking. Truck was parked just off the dirt "road" along a ridge overlooking a valley about 500m wide ridgetop to ridgetop. I can my contact fixed, and start wandering around a bit. Lo and behold, I spot a cow and calf, and everyone else is too far to hear me yelling (the elk did not seem to care either, just kept walking up the far ridge). With no sign of anyone approaching, I figure why not, a couple of the guys had antlerless tags, and we were splitting all the meat anyhow. So I grab the Springfield 1903 from the rack, flip up the rear sight, set the range, a squeeze one off, aiming for momma first. I hit a hair high (shooting downhill, and I did not compensate), missing, but close enough to spook them a bit. They hurried up the hill, and I decided not to try that shot again. The signle shot of course brought everyone running, thinking I hit something. Nope, just a stupid decision to try an out of range shot with an old rifle with no scope. FTR, I can hit 10/10 at 500m with iron sights...on a well maintained M16A2, not the sights in the image below.

Worst shot that hit: Deer, 50 yards, all alone, just outside Lingle, WY. I am walking a tree line on my best buddy's dad's land, when out wanders Bambi. Tiny little spikes I could barely see. Scope is zeroed for 300m (see above for typical shots). I misjudge the hold over (or under rather), on top of being cocky and going for a head shot. I took out the throat, including both jugulars, and still have no clue how it did not snap its neck. Poor thing thrashed and pumped out all its blood until I got there with a knife and put it down. Small enough that I carried it out over my shoulder (after gutting it of course), the whole 200m to Sam's house. Best vension I have ever had. And first (still only) whitetail.

I miss game meat. :(

springfield-1903-rifle-2.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Whitetails do taste better, but IMO are easier to hunt where I've hunted them. I've almost always hunted whitetails in Nebraska where you can basically sit in a tree stand and they will flock your way eventually. Or when you do have to walk around, there is plenty of cover. At least with Mule Deer I'm having to go a hike and there are lots of open spaces where I could be seen. Elk are more difficult than both IMO.

Sheep and goats are the two hardest hunts I've ever gone on... I've heard Coues Whitetail are absurdly difficult as well, but never hunted for one.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So I just became an Uber driver today. It'll be a part time thing as a supplement to my regular income, I just need an extra 300 bucks a month or so. I should get some interesting stories out of it at the very least.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So I just became an Uber driver today. It'll be a part time thing as a supplement to my regular income, I just need an extra 300 bucks a month or so. I should get some interesting stories out of it at the very least.

Tell me how it goes. I'm about to buy a new car and was thinking of doing Uber part time until I paid off the car.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Sorrynotsorry for puking in your car.

Just in advance.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'll be all of your personal drivers! If, that is, you'll pay extra for me to drive down from Boulder to come get you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad