OT: The Avalounge: No winners, only losers here

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116861

So I was butchering a deer this weekend, for the first time I found tapeworm cysts in the meat (I've cleaned well over 20 deer at this point). I've found them in a couple elk, but never a deer. Damn wolves! :rant:

FTR I'm actually completely okay with wolf reintroduction, this is just one of the consequences.

As an aspiring vegan preacher, this offends me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Grats on the kill. Sucks the meat is no good. Archery or rifle?

Rifle... missed with the bow this year a couple times. :laugh:

As an aspiring vegan preacher, this offends me.

What is funny here, I was texting the vegan chick while I was discovering this. She was thoroughly disgusted by the whole thing. From the kill to the cysts. She hasn't talked to me since. :laugh:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Rifle... missed with the bow this year a couple times. :laugh:

What is funny here, I was texting the vegan chick while I was discovering this. She was thoroughly disgusted by the whole thing. From the kill to the cysts. She hasn't talked to me since. :laugh:

I've met some vegans who are okay with hunting for meat. Guess this one was more of the "I dont want any animals to suffer" kind of vegan.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Anyone else watched Westworld yet?! Holy ****stick. What a first episode. It lived up to the hype. It is killing me to not watch the second episode right now. But the GF wants to watch it tonight so I have to wait.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've met some vegans who are okay with hunting for meat. Guess this one was more of the "I dont want any animals to suffer" kind of vegan.

I think it is the whole grossness factor more than anything else. The whole process from the kill to the plate isn't the easiest thing to take in for somebody who doesn't like meat to begin with. Hell, I find making sausage to be disgusting... but it tastes so good. :nod:

And come on! Give me some credit! This was a shot straight through the lungs. The deer died immediately. :yo:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Anyone else watched Westworld yet?! Holy ****stick. What a first episode. It lived up to the hype. It is killing me to not watch the second episode right now. But the GF wants to watch it tonight so I have to wait.

Dude...so good! And straight up trippy as hell. I didn't realize it was a book and I have read a ton of Michael Crichton's books. Almost considering halting watching and busting it out real quick. I doubt it though, ha.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I think it is the whole grossness factor more than anything else. The whole process from the kill to the plate isn't the easiest thing to take in for somebody who doesn't like meat to begin with. Hell, I find making sausage to be disgusting... but it tastes so good. :nod:

And come on! Give me some credit! This was a shot straight through the lungs. The deer died immediately. :yo:

no better feeling than watching your deer just lay down, or fall down immediately after a double lung shot. last year my brother shot low on an elk, and we had to track the ****er for about 3 miles, across several sections of land (one of which being private, so we had to get permission first) before finally catching up to its death bed

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm not a hunter, but I know a couple guys who are.
One told me that it's important to get a clean kill so that the adrenaline doesn't affect the taste of the meat.
He said that's it's just as important to skin the animal quickly (not just gut it), as that affects the taste a lot, too.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
One told me that it's important to get a clean kill so that the adrenaline doesn't affect the taste of the meat.
He said that's it's just as important to skin the animal quickly (not just gut it), as that affects the taste a lot, too.

i would agree with the first point there, but I dont agree with the latter. as long as you clean the animal out and get it cooled down quickly, those are the most important things. you definitely want to get it skinned sooner than later, but its not like you need to skin it while you're field dressing the animal. I've also found that the longer you hang the animal, the better it tastes, so long as you keep it clean and dont let bacteria run wild. Diet and age also affect how good the animal tastes. Younger deer just taste way better, but you get less meat off of em.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
i would agree with the first point there, but I dont agree with the latter. as long as you clean the animal out and get it cooled down quickly, those are the most important things. you definitely want to get it skinned sooner than later, but its not like you need to skin it while you're field dressing the animal. I've also found that the longer you hang the animal, the better it tastes, so long as you keep it clean and dont let bacteria run wild. Diet and age also affect how good the animal tastes. Younger deer just taste way better, but you get less meat off of em.

Well, he treated me to some of the best venison I ever tasted, and that's what he said his secret was...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
no better feeling than watching your deer just lay down, or fall down immediately after a double lung shot. last year my brother shot low on an elk, and we had to track the ****er for about 3 miles, across several sections of land (one of which being private, so we had to get permission first) before finally catching up to its death bed

It is quite a good feeling... I've only gotten back into rifle hunting more recently (and even hunting in general). I still prefer bow by quite a bit. Having one keel over immediately with an arrow is about the best feeling a hunter can get.

I remember as a kid that I shot an antelope in the hind leg and we chased that thing for a better part of the day... worst day of hunting ever.

There is a difference in the meat if they die immediately or not. Bigger difference if you are shooting a male or female. Females give you a bit more leeway.

I don't think there is much of a difference in skinning. Storage and cleanliness are more important. Though I'm usually butchering the next day, so it could be timing there.

I've also found that the longer you hang the animal, the better it tastes, so long as you keep it clean and dont let bacteria run wild.

If you have a clean environment to do so, this is the key to any red meat. Dry aging allows the enzymes to break down the meat a bit and give a really nice complexity. At my dad's old house, he had a dry aging room in his shop. It was the best...

For people that don't hunt, have a dry aged steak and compare it to a fresh steak. There is a world of difference.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Well, he treated me to some of the best venison I ever tasted, and that's what he said his secret was...

I suppose everyone has their own beliefs on what works and what doesn't, but there are way too many variables to what makes one deer tastier than the next. But I certainly haven't noticed any marked difference in the outcome of meat from a deer skinned on site, and one that had to be dragged for an hour and then driven another hour back to camp before being skinned. The cut of meat is also very important. Maybe he treated you to the back strap

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
You guys will just have to send me some steaks, and I'll make a comparison... :naughty:

I think I might pass on the wormy meat, though...

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
You guys will just have to send me some steaks, and I'll make a comparison... :naughty:

lol

I'm probably not going hunting this year. I applied for a winter job in California which would start in a few weeks. no point in killing an animal if i dont intend to eat all of it, or share it with family. Considering my older brother always bags 3-4 animals a year I don't see it necessary to fill a tag for my family.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO skinning on site just isn't a clean enough area. It is a messy job as it sits, I'd rather do it where I can control how clean the area and my knifes are.

Come on Bubba! You know you want some tapeworm steaks. Maybe that is the secret to the ultimate deer filet. :nod:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
IMO skinning on site just isn't a clean enough area. It is a messy job as it sits, I'd rather do it where I can control how clean the area and my knifes are.

Come on Bubba! You know you want some tapeworm steaks. Maybe that is the secret to the ultimate deer filet. :nod:

I have my own pet tapeworm...

It's how I stay trim (it sure as hell isn't due to exercise!!!)

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

precisely. I was once fortunate enough to shoot a deer 400 yards from my camping site that had a meat hanger right there, but thats not usually the case

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Still don't know if I am going to be working today... My boss is starting to piss me off.

But I took today to try and figure out why the internet at my new place is utterly garbage. Turns out we are paying for 3-7mbps download and .85mbps upload. Right now we are getting 1.2mbps download and .45mbps upload... like third world country levels of awful. Time to call and fix this ****. I want to be able to actually stream somethign at least.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ahhh

I'm a meat eater, I'm not naive to how it happens. I just don't want to know.

If I'm going to end up consuming the animal, why would it be a problem seeing it die or seeing my steak being made? I'm about to eat the sucker after all. I guess I don't feel sorry for my food.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
If I'm going to end up consuming the animal, why would it be a problem seeing it die or seeing my steak being made? I'm about to eat the sucker after all. I guess I don't feel sorry for my food.

I know I'd way rather eat something i killed, cleaned, and prepared myself over shady meat from the grocery store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad