OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
No old school Swedish death metal in a very long time, not good.

Entombed - Wolverine Blues (released 1993, unfortunately singer LG Petrov recently died from cancer, probably best natural death metal voice of all time)

Unleashed - The One Insane (released 1993)

Unleased - Before The Creation Of Time (released 1991)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Shot #2 of Pfizer is no joke. Everyone that I know who’s gotten it (incl myself) feels fine for the first 24 hrs, hits a wall between hrs 25-48 after the shot......the the next day you’re fine. It’s pretty weird.

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Shot #2 of Pfizer is no joke. Everyone that I know who’s gotten it (incl myself) feels fine for the first 24 hrs, hits a wall between hrs 25-48 after the shot......the the next day you’re fine. It’s pretty weird.
Surprisingly, I didn't have much reaction to the second Pfizer shot. I felt really fatigued at work the day of, next day I felt fine.

It seems to be just a random roll of the dice whether or not you feel bad. It hit my dad like a truck with fever, chills, the whole nine yards. A friend of mine said he felt nothing at all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Did anyone here watch the new Mortal Kombat movie?

Dear god this movie is horrific. Every character except for Kano is a disaster. They're all bland and pointless, especially this new random main character Cole Young. I have no idea what the studio, producer, director and writers were thinking making this film but it is one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. I had such high hopes for a Mortal Kombat reboot but this is more of the same garbage we've seen in the past. Such a shame.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did anyone here watch the new Mortal Kombat movie?

No, but I gotta be honest I don't know why they're even bothering. It's been years and years since that game franchise was even relevant. I can still remember playing MK3 in my dorm my freshman year of college.

I thought the YouTube series they came out with was kinda fun. Wish they had just left it at that. We didn't need another lame feature film where they try and build a story based on a game where you just...hit people.

BTW, I read (SPOILER ALERT but I really don't f***ing care, nor should you) that the actual tournament doesn't even take place. Like...how the f*** do you screw that part up? That's like doing Pirates of the Caribbean and saying "You know what? We don't need any boats."

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No, but I gotta be honest I don't know why they're even bothering. It's been years and years since that game franchise was even relevant. I can still remember playing MK3 in my dorm my freshman year of college.

I thought the YouTube series they came out with was kinda fun. Wish they had just left it at that. We didn't need another lame feature film where they try and build a story based on a game where you just...hit people.

BTW, I read (SPOILER ALERT but I really don't f***ing care, nor should you) that the actual tournament doesn't even take place. Like...how the f*** do you screw that part up? That's like doing Pirates of the Caribbean and saying "You know what? We don't need any boats."
I think there is tremendous potential for Mortal Kombat movies based on the lore and mythology of the games, however any time people try to make a feature film it turns into a disaster. The studio couldn't have picked a worse producer/director/writer combo for this movie because it was awful.

Speaking of YouTube series, I loved Mortal Kombat: Legacy where Liu Kang is a hitman-for-hire and ends up teaming with Shang Tsung at the tournament. The director for that series, Kevin Tancharoen, really should be the only person allowed to make a feature film.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think there is tremendous potential for Mortal Kombat movies based on the lore and mythology of the games, however any time people try to make a feature film it turns into a disaster. The studio couldn't have picked a worse producer/director/writer combo for this movie because it was awful.

Speaking of YouTube series, I loved Mortal Kombat: Legacy where Liu Kang is a hitman-for-hire and ends up teaming with Shang Tsung at the tournament. The director for that series, Kevin Tancharoen, really should be the only person allowed to make a feature film.

Really, if you're gonna delve into the mythos of each character then you just can't do a feature film. Television/streaming mini-series is the only way you're going to achieve that. You can't cram a dozen characters with wildly different origins into a 1:30 film and expect anything remotely coherent. You have to dumb it down BIG time--it should just be a paper-thin plot and fight scenes riddled with increasingly brutal and creative deaths. That's it. And even then I think it'd still suck, but at least it might be fun.

Personally I think video game properties shouldn't ever be adapted to movies. There's a reason they all end up failing. With video games these days you not only delve into a world of vast complexity filled with all kinds of characters, you get to inhabit it and interact with it in a way that's impossible in any other medium. Why the f*** would I sit down and watch Assassin's Creed when I can rent any number of games and actually take part in it? Makes no sense. And yet they keep doing it (they even made Battleship into a movie FFS).

The original (and extremely mediocre) Mortal Kombat movie brings back good hockey memories. Soooo many youth league teams jumped on that ridiculous EDM-laden theme song and used it for warmups.

Side note, people should read the short Cracked article about what a complete and utter shitshow the old Street Fighter movie (which I have never seen) was behind the scenes. Apparently the fight choreographers made up shit as they went along (and I'm told it shows), JCVD and some crew members were on massive amounts of drugs, and poor Raul Julia was literally dying of cancer. And apparently they made a SEQUEL! Hollywood is truly run by idiots.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really, if you're gonna delve into the mythos of each character then you just can't do a feature film. Television/streaming mini-series is the only way you're going to achieve that. You can't cram a dozen characters with wildly different origins into a 1:30 film and expect anything remotely coherent. You have to dumb it down BIG time--it should just be a paper-thin plot and fight scenes riddled with increasingly brutal and creative deaths. That's it. And even then I think it'd still suck, but at least it might be fun.

Personally I think video game properties shouldn't ever be adapted to movies. There's a reason they all end up failing. With video games these days you not only delve into a world of vast complexity filled with all kinds of characters, you get to inhabit it and interact with it in a way that's impossible in any other medium. Why the f*** would I sit down and watch Assassin's Creed when I can rent any number of games and actually take part in it? Makes no sense. And yet they keep doing it (they even made Battleship into a movie FFS).

The original (and extremely mediocre) Mortal Kombat movie brings back good hockey memories. Soooo many youth league teams jumped on that ridiculous EDM-laden theme song and used it for warmups.

Side note, people should read the short Cracked article about what a complete and utter shitshow the old Street Fighter movie (which I have never seen) was behind the scenes. Apparently the fight choreographers made up shit as they went along (and I'm told it shows), JCVD and some crew members were on massive amounts of drugs, and poor Raul Julia was literally dying of cancer. And apparently they made a SEQUEL! Hollywood is truly run by idiots.
I agree it should be television/mini-series but WB doesn't seem keen on doing that with MK, so here we are with feature films. At least if you're going to do it, do it right. This movie is an abomination.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree it should be television/mini-series but WB doesn't seem keen on doing that with MK, so here we are with feature films. At least if you're going to do it, do it right. This movie is an abomination.

I'll be sure to avoid it. The trailer didn't instill me with much faith.

I'm at an odd place in life. I just don't get psyched about movies much anymore. I think it peaked with the Marvel stuff, and Star Wars has more or less run its course. The "big event" movie doesn't really excite me anymore, and I'm kinda okay with that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll be sure to avoid it. The trailer didn't instill me with much faith.

I'm at an odd place in life. I just don't get psyched about movies much anymore. I think it peaked with the Marvel stuff, and Star Wars has more or less run its course. The "big event" movie doesn't really excite me anymore, and I'm kinda okay with that.
I'm right there with you. I never get excited about movies anymore. MK piqued my interest based on childhood nostalgia and the potential for there to be some really good storytelling. Very let down but not surprised one bit.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@dahrougem2 I know nothing of the lore of Mortal Kombat and going in I didn't expect it to be good, but I enjoyed it. I was fairly drunk though
I haven't watched it yet, but the actual first ever Mortal Kombat movie is really really good (the actors are all spot on to a tee to their characters). I highly recommend taking a peak at that if you liked this one.

Mortal Kombat is a dumb fighting game, but once you understand the backstory it actually has a great storyline for a "dumb fighting game". It's not on like Games of Thrones level because you NA's love that shit, but it's really well done from a group of blokes who made games for a living. Way better than Street Fighters.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Knicks have now officially guaranteed themselves a spot in the postseason for just the second time since 9/11 & with only 3 matches left, Union is 17 points clear of relegation in our first-ever Bundesliga season...so all that's left for me as a sport's fan this season is for the Avs to win the cup...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Knicks have now officially guaranteed themselves a spot in the postseason for just the second time since 9/11 & with only 3 matches left, Union is 17 points clear of relegation in our first-ever Bundesliga season...so all that's left for me as a sport's fan this season is for the Avs to win the cup...
If Union didn't draw so many matches, they would be in a Europe spot easily. That whole BuLi table is a mind-blowing experience though, never in my days would I see Schalke get relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad