OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
No idea where to post this, but UMass just won the NCAA tournament, their first in their history as a program!

Big, big props to Greg Carvel and his staff who totally turned that program around after he got there. He’s a huge reason why Cale Makar is Cale Makar. It’s a well-deserved win for a great coach and a great group of players.

Cale Makar too. Not sure the turn around and recruitment would have been so successful without him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Cale Makar too. Not sure the turn around and recruitment would have been so successful without him.
I mean Carvel were instrumental in Makars development. The difference between his freshman and sophomore year was light and say. Makar always had the raw talent, but they brought out him using it to his full potential.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mean Carvel were instrumental in Makars development. The difference between his freshman and sophomore year was light and say. Makar always had the raw talent, but they brought out him using it to his full potential.

Oh, I agree. I personally think great players find a way regardless, but no doubt he did a great job with him.

I was more saying that Makar had a great effect on that program.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Oh, I agree. I personally think great players find a way regardless, but no doubt he did a great job with him.

I was more saying that Makar had a great effect on that program.
Cale Makar certainly helped to legitimize the program, but I think Carvel deserves most, if not all, of the credit for turning the program around. I would’ve been a lot more worried if Makar still ended up going to UMass but Carvel wasn’t there to coach him.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Didn't go to UMass (Went to another MA State School) but as a proud lifelong MA resident I couldn't be prouder of the flagship school tonight and a huge thank you to Cale Makar for everything he did and continues to do to help that program.

Looking forward to seeing a few UMass games next year when they play closer to Boston. UMass is 2 hours from Boston for those wondering.

Good Luck to the Avs going forward and in the playoffs.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
First night of vacation, and I'm woken up at 3:30 to the sound of something chewing on the walls. Can't go back to sleep after that unsettling wakeup call. So now I'm sitting here at 4:30 drinking my coffee and watching a dildo infomercial. I hate Florida.
If you bought what they're selling I'm sure you could be more relaxed.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Well, I guess I made it. I am two weeks past my last Moderna COVID shot so I’m virtually in the clear. I’m having a party by my myself because there’s no place to go party in Boone if you have all of your teeth. I joke, it’s not that bad, well, quite that bad. They do need a quality lounge around here, though.

Anyway, I was able to get my shots early because I drive for Uber, and of all things, I qualified as an essential worker. For some reason the county I live in is the best in NC at rolling out shots, too. I guess I was a lucky one.

Definitely going to give a nod to all of the people actually affected by the virus. Those who have lost people, jobs, who have actually had the virus and all of the frontline workers.

I know it’s not over yet but thank God there is light at the end of the tunnel. What a weird f***ing year to say the least.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was wondering if there are any good adventure books worth reading out there? Doesn't have to be Sci-Fi and would prefer maybe that it isn't, but I am not imposed to it either. Is there a "classic" that everyone should read? Like I heard great things about Ender's Game and Dune, but I am not sure I want to start (or have the time) a multiple book series (but I am still open for suggestions). Thanks

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was wondering if there are any good adventure books worth reading out there? Doesn't have to be Sci-Fi and would prefer maybe that it isn't, but I am not imposed to it either. Is there a "classic" that everyone should read? Like I heard great things about Ender's Game and Dune, but I am not sure I want to start (or have the time) a multiple book series (but I am still open for suggestions). Thanks

Treasure Island

A Farewell to Arms (more of a war-time romance but classic Hemmingway)

The King Raven Series (three books: Hood, Scarlet and Tuck). It reimagines the Robin Hood series and centers it around an heir to the thrown hunted by Norman invaders who flees into the primeval forest along the Welsh borders. He does get a bit preachy in some of his books, but basically anything by Stephen Lawhead is a good read. His retelling of St. Patrick was pretty good too.

As for Ender's Game. I have never read any of the sequels. It's a very good read, although Orson Scott Card has become a somewhat controversial person, the book stands on it's own. Fast paced, detailed, fun and mesmerizing. I think part of why I like it so much might be because I was 10 when I read it the first time. So on rereads, I find myself reconnecting with that kid and his sense of wonderment. Kinda wonder what ever happened to that bright eyed, optimistic fool that I was back then.

Reactions: S E P H

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One of my favorites right now is The Dresden Files. It's about a wizard private eye in Chicago who deals with vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and all manner of supernatural weirdos. It's a long series but well worth it, and plus the books are fast reads anyway. Wicked sarcastic sense of humor, cinematic action scenes, it's one of my favorite things ever. Storm Front is the first book, you do have to read them in order.

Ender's Game is a classic too. I also haven't read the sequels, but it's a great coming of age sci-fi story.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
One of my favorites right now is The Dresden Files. It's about a wizard private eye in Chicago who deals with vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and all manner of supernatural weirdos. It's a long series but well worth it, and plus the books are fast reads anyway. Wicked sarcastic sense of humor, cinematic action scenes, it's one of my favorite things ever. Storm Front is the first book, you do have to read them in order.

Ender's Game is a classic too. I also haven't read the sequels, but it's a great coming of age sci-fi story.

I actually stumbled upon The Dresden Files as a one year series on Sci-Fi. I saw a wizard in Chicago who uses a hockey stick as a staff...and was absolutely sold. Really solid show. Afterwards, I picked up the first book and then realized that the show had really done it some pretty good justice. If you haven't seen it, I'd look for it online.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I actually stumbled upon The Dresden Files as a one year series on Sci-Fi. I saw a wizard in Chicago who uses a hockey stick as a staff...and was absolutely sold. Really solid show. Afterwards, I picked up the first book and then realized that the show had really done it some pretty good justice. If you haven't seen it, I'd look for it online.
Oh yeah, I've seen it. They got the tone right, for sure, although they changed a ton of stuff from the books and made it a monster of the week type of show. I'd love to see a GoT style faithful adaptation of the saga, but there's like 15 books in the series now and I think that would be too daunting.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Well, I guess I made it. I am two weeks past my last Moderna COVID shot so I’m virtually in the clear. I’m having a party by my myself because there’s no place to go party in Boone if you have all of your teeth. I joke, it’s not that bad, well, quite that bad. They do need a quality lounge around here, though.

Anyway, I was able to get my shots early because I drive for Uber, and of all things, I qualified as an essential worker. For some reason the county I live in is the best in NC at rolling out shots, too. I guess I was a lucky one.

Definitely going to give a nod to all of the people actually affected by the virus. Those who have lost people, jobs, who have actually had the virus and all of the frontline workers.

I know it’s not over yet but thank God there is light at the end of the tunnel. What a weird f***ing year to say the least.

Is Boone anywhere near Boone's Farm?

:sarcasm: :D

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

I really like Ender's Game. Like others have said it stands alone (and card being a controversial figure is unfortunate) but has a whole world around it that's really well done.

For those that haven't read the sequels I highly recommend it. Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Shadow series is really good and Speaker for the Dead is probably my favourite of all the books, but speaker doesn't really stand on its own. You need to read the 2 after to get the full story and Ender's Game as well though it can be read without it.

I haven't read any of the prequels though.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Omg are you lot telling me that Ender's Game is a book series too?
vf5FJ713VteTaycGfWCRKYxgw07hprX94Zs4cbNT-1g.png

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Omg are you lot telling me that Ender's Game is a book series too?
Enders game does have sequels, but they are bizarrely different in content and theme. Just reading the first book is fine, and I highly recommend it. There is a sister series, Enders Shadow+, that follows a side character in Enders game and beyond the events of Enders game. I enjoyed it, but as you said you weren't really looking for a series, just read Enders game

Edit: my personal recommendation would be to read Enders Game, and then Enders Shadow, which is a lot of the same story as Enders Game, just from a different character's perspective. It's been a while, but I don't remember them being lengthy reads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad