OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The process by which a bill becomes a law isn’t as relevant to what we’re discussing. If you void the first 5 amendments, it’s questionable whether you still have a constitution.
That isn't the process by which a bill becomes law... That's the process by which an AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION is made. If you don't know the difference, then your high school civics teacher clearly failed you.

And again, there's nothing special or sacred about the first five Amendments. The Constitution is not a holy text, it's a legal document.

This conversation, like a lot of things, is mostly about matters of degree. Modifying limits. If you infringe on the first 5 amendments, you’re going to get enormous pushback and rightfully so. At that point many of the objections may not even be about guns but about the gvt seizing more power.

The way you casually defend doing this is laughable. It’s a practical matter. The volatility at the moment is enormous. What you’re talking about is lighting a match.
Oh, I never said it would be easy. Like I said before, as a practical matter, political polarization has made the Amendment process grind to a halt. The last serious attempt made was the Equal Rights Amendment in the 80s, and that didn't even manage to pass.

All I'm saying is that the Constitution allows us to modify it as needed for the 21st century, if we had the will.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That isn't the process by which a bill becomes law... That's the process by which an AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION is made. If you don't know the difference, then your high school civics teacher clearly failed you.

And again, there's nothing special or sacred about the first five Amendments. The Constitution is not a holy text, it's a legal document.

Oh, I never said it would be easy. Like I said before, as a practical matter, political polarization has made the Amendment process grind to a halt? The last serious attempt made was the Equal Rights Amendment in the 80s, and that didn't even manage to pass.

All I'm saying is that the Constitution allows us to modify it as needed for the 21st century, if we had the will.

It’s a null point to say there’s a process for it if people no longer believe in the legitimacy of it after parts are voided. If you make changes and afterward, people feel the constitution no longer exists, what’s the point?

If the government effectively can void the constitution on a whim, why should anyone take it seriously. It’s pure authoritarianism at that point and the gvt because an overlord and not a steward.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It’s a null point to say there’s a process for it if people no longer believe in the legitimacy of it after parts are voided. If you make changes and afterward, people feel the constitution no longer exists, what’s the point?

If the government effectively can void the constitution on a whim, why should anyone take it seriously. It’s pure authoritarianism at that point and the gvt because an overlord and not a steward.
Again, what you "believe" or "feel" isn't relevant here. Only the text of the document matters from a legal standpoint.

And I would consider the concerted action of 2/3 of the House and Senate plus 3/4 of state legislatures to hardly be the territory of a "whim". The Amendment process was designed to be difficult, and those bodies are meant to be proxies for the people in a representative democracy. Again, I say, we could do it, if we as Americans had the will and the courage to say "Never again". It's a shame that because of some people's clinging to ancient tradition we don't have that willpower, but nevertheless, the process to do so is there.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Again, what you "believe" or "feel" isn't relevant here. Only the text of the document matters from a legal standpoint.

And I would consider the concerted action of 2/3 of the House and Senate plus 3/4 of state legislatures to hardly be the territory of a "whim". The Amendment process was designed to be difficult, and those bodies are meant to be proxies for the people in a representative democracy. Again, I say, we could do it, if we as Americans had the will and the courage to say "Never again". It's a shame that because of some people's clinging to ancient tradition we don't have that willpower, but nevertheless, the process to do so is there.

Do you feel it’s a winning argument to repeatedly emphasize that there’s a process for amendments and then admit it’s practically impossible for it to happen? Doesn’t that make it somewhat inane? I mean, you’re fighting for yards but getting inches here. It doesn’t advance the conversation at all.

The US is too fractured for anyone to claim there’s a “we”. But that’s a reason to not make any big changes.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you feel it’s a winning argument to repeatedly emphasize that there’s a process for amendments and then admit it’s practically impossible for it to happen? Doesn’t that make it somewhat inane? I mean, you’re fighting for yards but getting inches here. It doesn’t advance the conversation at all.

The US is too fractured for anyone to claim there’s a “we”. But that’s a reason to not make any big changes.
Pot, meet kettle.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

That's a dangerous sentiment, the idea that Americans can no longer use the term "we". If you honestly think we have so little in common that you can refer to other Americans as "them", you're part of the problem.

Reactions: Foppberg

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Ugh. I just turned down a dream job that I've been pursuing for years because the offer they gave me I could not afford to live on. Everything else was perfect, I just couldn't afford the pay cut.

So now tomorrow I hope Mack throws some more helmets to make me forget.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Ugh. I just turned down a dream job that I've been pursuing for years because the offer they gave me I could not afford to live on. Everything else was perfect, I just couldn't afford the pay cut.

the job market is so rough right now. I’m lucky enough to have a job that pays well but I hate it with a passion. The jobs I’m trying to get with my degree have like at least over 500 candidates and I have little experience due to being 27 and in school forever

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010

That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Bummer man. Try to let that motivate you to work even harder so that doesn't become the last chapter in pursuing your dream job.

Easier said than done obviously, but that's really the best way to handle those situations.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As a lurker but long-time member. I lurked for several years before I joined. All I gotta say is you new mother f***ers talk a lot. Holy-shit...used to be I could take a week off and only have to read a couple pages across all threads. Y'all make it impossible to keep up with unless you live on the board. Is there some god-damned cliff notes available for old f***ers like me? I'm sure @Bubba Thudd would agree. There is a big propensity for people to wag their mouths without actually saying anything new.

I'm an old fart and a fossil. So ignore me because I realize things change...I just find it either inconvenient or just not worth keeping up with the changes some times. I'm a guy that is looking to simplify his life...I'm seriously contemplating going from my iPhone SE back to my RAZR flip phone. I feel like I've become a slave to social apps and am doing my best to ignore them...unfortunately they are a great way to stay in touch with my family. But by going to a flip phone when I am at work, I won't be distracted by all that shit. The only problem is the storage is low, and I won't be able to download a significant amount of music...which is what I basically wanted my iPhone for in the first place.

I'm lazy but will look up the specs...I'm pretty sure there is no blue tooth with them. So I've got a lot of decisions ahead of me. But I really wonder if any of y'all are doing things to simplify your life and maybe take time to disconnect. One new thing I started a month ago is putting a block on my calendar from 4-5pm on friday. It's called weekly review. Some weeks I really need the time to just think about all the projects on my plate and what I need to concentrate on Monday. Sometimes, I'm all caught up, and just sneak out an hour early as a special treat. I work enough on weekends that I have no problems doing shit like that and my boss is cool with it.

But seriously, is there anyone else out there thinking or trying to cut back on social media and thinking of going backwards in technology as a way to do so. I was just thinking I don't really use any data...except when driving cross country. My phone is cool that I can buy tickets to the movie while we are driving there...but seriously...is that a reason to keep paying hundreds if not a thousand dollars every few years in order to keep current?

I've got an iPad that uses wifi. I will still be able to watch shit on tv via it at the house. The only down-side I see is the lack of storage...I'm not sure is can store a lot of data. I don't care about picture quality. My wife has her brand new phone for that shit. Other than losing my music...can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this?

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm not cutting back on data/technology but definitely Twitter and Facebook (and I don't use Instagram). I took the Twitter and Facebook icons off everything a while ago.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I deleted Facebook two years ago and haven’t missed it at all.

if you still want to be a part of a community there’s other ones out there on the internet that are productive and won’t try to sell you cooking knives every 5 seconds.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I deleted my Facebook account years ago too. I never used Twitter really. I have an Instagram account as a means of marketing music I make but not for socializing. Social media is a horrible scourge on humanity and I avoid it as best as I can.

Reactions: Bonzai12

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Damn...apparently DMX had a drug overdose and is now in a vegetative state. I loved his stuff growing up and he was without a doubt the best character to play as in Def Jam Vendetta.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
the job market is so rough right now. I’m lucky enough to have a job that pays well but I hate it with a passion. The jobs I’m trying to get with my degree have like at least over 500 candidates and I have little experience due to being 27 and in school forever

Yeah, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a pretty good job. I just hate it most days, but I might hate the job-hunt/interview process more. I find it exhausting.

As a lurker but long-time member. I lurked for several years before I joined. All I gotta say is you new mother f***ers talk a lot. Holy-shit...used to be I could take a week off and only have to read a couple pages across all threads. Y'all make it impossible to keep up with unless you live on the board. Is there some god-damned cliff notes available for old f***ers like me? I'm sure @Bubba Thudd would agree. There is a big propensity for people to wag their mouths without actually saying anything new.

I'm an old fart and a fossil. So ignore me because I realize things change...I just find it either inconvenient or just not worth keeping up with the changes some times. I'm a guy that is looking to simplify his life...I'm seriously contemplating going from my iPhone SE back to my RAZR flip phone. I feel like I've become a slave to social apps and am doing my best to ignore them...unfortunately they are a great way to stay in touch with my family. But by going to a flip phone when I am at work, I won't be distracted by all that shit. The only problem is the storage is low, and I won't be able to download a significant amount of music...which is what I basically wanted my iPhone for in the first place.

I'm lazy but will look up the specs...I'm pretty sure there is no blue tooth with them. So I've got a lot of decisions ahead of me. But I really wonder if any of y'all are doing things to simplify your life and maybe take time to disconnect. One new thing I started a month ago is putting a block on my calendar from 4-5pm on friday. It's called weekly review. Some weeks I really need the time to just think about all the projects on my plate and what I need to concentrate on Monday. Sometimes, I'm all caught up, and just sneak out an hour early as a special treat. I work enough on weekends that I have no problems doing shit like that and my boss is cool with it.

But seriously, is there anyone else out there thinking or trying to cut back on social media and thinking of going backwards in technology as a way to do so. I was just thinking I don't really use any data...except when driving cross country. My phone is cool that I can buy tickets to the movie while we are driving there...but seriously...is that a reason to keep paying hundreds if not a thousand dollars every few years in order to keep current?

I've got an iPad that uses wifi. I will still be able to watch shit on tv via it at the house. The only down-side I see is the lack of storage...I'm not sure is can store a lot of data. I don't care about picture quality. My wife has her brand new phone for that shit. Other than losing my music...can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this?

I'd like to, but I'm too weak-willed. It's an addiction that probably won't kill me, so I'm not going to do anything about it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Damn...apparently DMX had a drug overdose and is now in a vegetative state. I loved his stuff going up and he was without a doubt the best character to play as in Def Jam Vendetta.
Damn that sucks to read, DMX is a beaut.
Yeah, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a pretty good job. I just hate it most days, but I might hate the job-hunt/interview process more. I find it exhausting.
Aren't you and @henchman24 CPA's? I think that's the reason... :sarcasm:

Reactions: The Merchant

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Damn that sucks to read, DMX is a beaut.

Aren't you and @henchman24 CPA's? I think that's the reason... :sarcasm:

Yeah... Granted, I feel this way every April, but in the past it eased off so much in the summer I kind of forgot about it until the following January. Maybe that'll happen again. It just doesn't seem that way based on the amount of work on my plate.

Hearing about the year-round 40-45 hour workweeks of former co-workers that have left public makes me pretty jealous.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Get yourself an mp3 player for music. I use a Fiio. They're bluetooth, use removable microSD card storage, and can hold my entire (very extensive) collection. If that's what you're worried about missing there are alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad