OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Those long winter nights, man. That's got to lead to some bleakness of mind eventually.

I've noticed that is a pretty common theme in Finnish metal. Insomnium is pretty similar in their lyrics, as probably the most high-profile Finnish metal band in the world right now.

I don't know this band, so at first I thought you were saying insomnia is a common theme in Finnish lyrics.

I was like, "that makes total sense" with their 24 hours of sunlight in the summer. :laugh:

Last edited:

MartinSkoulYa

MAAAAAckinon
Apr 7, 2018
Toronto
Does anyone get a laugh out of the advertisements they use on this site? A site geared towards hockey fans, why the f*** would I care about what I dream of genie looks like at age 90

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Apparently there are now trigger warning disclaimers on older TV shows and movies if they have "outdated views, cultural references or stereotypes". That definitely happens with TV shows and movies but hey, figure that out without a trigger warning.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Apparently there are now trigger warning disclaimers on older TV shows and movies if they have "outdated views, cultural references or stereotypes". That definitely happens with TV shows and movies but hey, figure that out without a trigger warning.

Archie Bunker (All in the Family) would make a lot of people cry.
I...I can't explain my obsession with this song

You don't like Ma Baker?

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

giphy.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

One of my favorite movies is Lawrence of Arabia from 1962. Almost four hours long with no female speaking parts about a Brittish officer leading arab tribes against the turks during WW1. It has Alec Guiness (English) and Anthony Quinn (Mexican) playing the roles as beduin leaders.

Some would probably view it as a very problematic movie.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Everything seems like a Monty Python's dystopian movie that was never made. It's laughable, yet frightening at the same time.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
One of my favorite movies is Lawrence of Arabia from 1962. Almost four hours long with no female speaking parts about a Brittish officer leading arab tribes against the turks during WW1. It has Alec Guiness (English) and Anthony Quinn (Mexican) playing the roles as beduin leaders.

Some would probably view it as a very problematic movie.
I tried to make it through that movie and couldn’t make it through the whole thing for some reason.

Along the same vein, though. I was watching a movie during Christmas with my mom called Holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire (so I assume it was pretty popular) from the 40’s, and during the movie they had a good 10-15 minute black face routine with about 20 people halfway through the movie. It was astounding to watch it.

It’s really unreal what was considered normal and ok back in the day and what was allowed to go on. Pretty amazing, and not in a good way at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad