Finland
I don't see any painted faces...
tenor.gif
Oh yeah, you mean folk music.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Oh right, there's this one too.

But not all Sentenced songs are about suicide, some are also about death.

Sentenced has a broad variety of lyrical themes. Death, suicide, sorrow, mourning, sadness, loneliness, loss, and more death. All traditional Finnish folk music themes.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sentenced has a broad variety of lyrical themes. Death, suicide, sorrow, mourning, sadness, loneliness, loss, and more death. All traditional Finnish folk music themes.
Setting aside the little bit I was doing, their discography is certainly one to stem from a very traditionally "Finnish" mindscape. Might be the most Finnish music out there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Setting aside the little bit I was doing, their discography is certainly one to stem from a very traditionally "Finnish" mindscape. Might be the most Finnish music out there.
Those long winter nights, man. That's got to lead to some bleakness of mind eventually.

I've noticed that is a pretty common theme in Finnish metal. Insomnium is pretty similar in their lyrics, as probably the most high-profile Finnish metal band in the world right now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not saying folk metal is good, but a lot of folk sounds aren't actually that bad. They're actually quite melodic and some bands do a brilliant job bringing in the atmosphere if you can handle the vocalist, but they have softer songs too.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This is the best response to metal I've ever seen. Genuinely still sRacial Sluring at it even as I type this. Fantastic stuff.
For the avoidance of doubt I'd just like to say that I said this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Solid effort from the filter, there

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not saying folk metal is good, but a lot of folk sounds aren't actually that bad. They're actually quite melodic and some bands do a brilliant job bringing in the atmosphere if you can handle the vocalist, but they have softer songs too.

For some reason, I could never get into folk metal, despite not being at all allergic to cheese in my metal. I've given it a bunch of chances, but it never has agreed with me despite being on paper something I should probably enjoy.

Music has always been a "I either get it or I don't" kind of experience. Some stuff just doesn't click with me even if it has all the elements of something I should enjoy. Epica has always been a band like that, where I can see how objectively Simone has an amazing singing voice and I love a ton of bands that are heavily inspired by them, but I've never been able to feel much of anything listening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad