OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's enough to almost make me believe there is hope for the future after all.

Seriously though, the dude playing guitar is shredding. I only wish someone had taught me proper wrist control when I was younger, took me forever to be able to play scales worth damn and no, I'm nowhere near as good as this kid.
This is a tough song to play too.

That whole Megadeth album (Rust in Peace) was absolute peak metal IMO, possibly the best metal album of all time from a melodic point of view. This was released in 1990 right before the grunge era which indirectly led metal artists to stop looking for perfect songs and make crap albums instead...but that's another story.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Hey all! Long time out-of-state fan attending my first game ever at Ball Arena on Thursday. Having never been there this seemed as good a place as any to ask for advice on parking? Hotel is a bit too far away to walk so any advice on particular garages, lots, etc. that make it easy would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hey all! Long time out-of-state fan attending my first game ever at Ball Arena on Thursday. Having never been there this seemed as good a place as any to ask for advice on parking? Hotel is a bit too far away to walk so any advice on particular garages, lots, etc. that make it easy would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I have 2 places i when I go to games. In the garage by Coohills restaurant. It’s not overly pricey and is basically a block away.

There’s also a parking lot like 1/2 a block to the east of that garage off Auraria and 14th. Think that one’s like $15, but is pretty small. So if you get there like 30/45 before the game there should be a spot or two left. I prefer this one as you can get stuck in traffic exiting the garage sometimes.

There’s also parking closer to the stadium but will run you $25+ to park where those will save you a little bit of cash.

Reactions: jaisen73

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Horrifying

I saw this last night before I went to bed. It had just happened and a lot of information wasn't really out yet. Just that video.

Man, when I got up this morning, I was so thankful I saw they were actually able to put out a mayday call after losing power and they were able to shut down most of the traffic that would have been on the bridge before the collision happened. It's still horrific, but it had the potential to be so much worse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I saw this last night before I went to bed. It had just happened and a lot of information wasn't really out yet. Just that video.

Man, when I got up this morning, I was so thankful I saw they were actually able to put out a mayday call after losing power and they were able to shut down most of the traffic that would have been on the bridge before the collision happened. It's still horrific, but it had the potential to be so much worse.
I’m gonna have to read on that part. Just have seen the video and damn it’s bad. Going to take a while for that to get cleaned up and the port back up.

This Diddy mess is also even crazier than it seemed a couple months ago. Yikes. Also didn’t expect his drug mule to be a nerdy looking white dude.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’m gonna have to read on that part. Just have seen the video and damn it’s bad. Going to take a while for that to get cleaned up and the port back up.

This Diddy mess is also even crazier than it seemed a couple months ago. Yikes. Also didn’t expect his drug mule to be a nerdy looking white dude.
I can't remember the first article I read that in this morning but here's one from cnn...

The crew of the ship notified officials that it had lost power prior to the crash, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said, noting the warning likely saved lives.
“We’re thankful that between the mayday and the collapse, that we had officials who were able to begin to stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not on the bridge,” Moore said. He called those officials heroes.​

Reactions: henchman21

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm looking for eSIM deals for America. Which operator has the best coverage, or is there one above the rest? We're going from San Francisco to Miami so pretty southern parts.

T-Mobile has the best deal so far, are they any good?

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I'm looking for eSIM deals for America. Which operator has the best coverage, or is there one above the rest? We're going from San Francisco to Miami so pretty southern parts.

My wife is using T-Mobile eSim and it works pretty okay. No complaints. Depending on what devices you have your should look at US Mobile as well since they are cheaper

I wasn't impressed by the first episode of Curb this season, but the rest have been so funny. I just learned Richard Lewis died and that's pretty sad, he was always a good spoil for Larry on the show.

Reactions: Murzu

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I don’t know anything about e sim… but coverage in general, when you’re in rural areas, it might be spotty. The lower tier coverage options basically stick close to towns and cities (most places along interstates would be fine), but suck off the beaten path, especially out west. So if you are just jumping city to city, I’d bet most options would be fine. If you are visiting the Nevada desert (not sure why you would, but to each their own) a lot of the the cheaper options won’t have shit for coverage.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don’t know anything about e sim… but coverage in general, when you’re in rural areas, it might be spotty. The lower tier coverage options basically stick close to towns and cities (most places along interstates would be fine), but suck off the beaten path, especially out west. So if you are just jumping city to city, I’d bet most options would be fine. If you are visiting the Nevada desert (not sure why you would, but to each their own) a lot of the the cheaper options won’t have shit for coverage.

Just thinking which operator should I choose in order to get the best coverage.

Yeah, we're cycling in rural areas and sometimes do wild camping. But if the differences aren't that big I guess I'll go with the T-Mobile plans. 100 gigabytes of data for 69,99$ is a solid plan for a prepaid.. or is it?

My wife is using T-Mobile eSim and it works pretty okay. No complaints. Depending on what devices you have your should look at US Mobile as well since they are cheaper

I wasn't impressed by the first episode of Curb this season, but the rest have been so funny. I just learned Richard Lewis died and that's pretty sad, he was always a good spoil for Larry on the show.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just thinking which operator should I choose in order to get the best coverage.

Yeah, we're cycling in rural areas and sometimes do wild camping. But if the differences aren't that big I guess I'll go with the T-Mobile plans. 100 gigabytes of data for 69,99$ is a solid plan for a prepaid.. or is it?

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out!
Oh yeah... you're cycling, forgot that. Go for Verizon coverage. They may not have the highest speeds or cheapest plans, but they are typically the most reliable of the major carriers in the US for rural areas. AT&T isn't a bad choice either (what I use and it does a good job in most areas). T-Mobile rather sucks in the middle of nowhere. They have a very lagging LTE network and 3G feels like it is almost non-existent anymore.

• Love

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
My boss had a stroke last night. He's the same age as me (36), and we've worked together for 7 years now across 2 companies. What the f***. Scary shit

• Wow
Reactions: S E P H

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
My boss had a stroke last night. He's the same age as me (36), and we've worked together for 7 years now across 2 companies. What the f***. Scary shit
Damn that's rough. Fingers crossed there's no lasting affects. I know these are scary, my fiancee had a TIA a couple of years back when her doctors changed her blood pressure medication. She was about the same age when it happened. I remember we were sitting and talking in bed, and suddenly everything she started to say was complete gibberish. But she carried on like nothing was wrong. Fortunately, there were no lasting problems.

• Wow
Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Damn that's rough. Fingers crossed there's no lasting affects. I know these are scary, my fiancee had a TIA a couple of years back when her doctors changed her blood pressure medication. She was about the same age when it happened. I remember we were sitting and talking in bed, and suddenly everything she started to say was complete gibberish. But she carried on like nothing was wrong. Fortunately, there were no lasting problems.
Yeah that happened when my father had a stroke almost 20 years ago. It wasn't until I finally asked him why he couldn't talk that I could tell realization dawned on him. After he got (most) of his powers of speech back he said he could tell something felt off that morning, but was unsure what it was.

BTW the press keeps getting it wrong--Bruce Willis was not suffering from "aphasia that progressed into frontotemporal dementia," aphasia is just a symptom of a larger issue, like my dad had when his stroke hit. Willis had frontotemporal dementia the whole time, the aphasia was the first major presenting symptom.

36 is insanely young to have a stroke. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, odds are in his favor, especially if they caught it fast enough so they could use the emergency blood thinners. They couldn't in my father's case.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Yeah that happened when my father had a stroke almost 20 years ago. It wasn't until I finally asked him why he couldn't talk that I could tell realization dawned on him. After he got (most) of his powers of speech back he said he could tell something felt off that morning, but was unsure what it was.

BTW the press keeps getting it wrong--Bruce Willis was not suffering from "aphasia that progressed into frontotemporal dementia," aphasia is just a symptom of a larger issue, like my dad had when his stroke hit. Willis had frontotemporal dementia the whole time, the aphasia was the first major presenting symptom.

36 is insanely young to have a stroke. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, odds are in his favor, especially if they caught it fast enough so they could use the emergency blood thinners. They couldn't in my father's case.
Had anomic aphasia from an mtbi - it is one of the most frustrating experiences ever which is a solid combo when you get low frustration tolerance as a symptom as well. 8.5 years later and I still have light & noise sensitivity, spit out some truly wild things when word finding issues crop up, have short term memory problems and near zero capacity for divided attention

Scares me to see athletes with repeated concussions. You never know if/when it’ll be the time it doesn’t recover properly and you’re left with long term problems

• Wow
Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's crazy, but tbh, you tend to see these things coming, especially if he's one of those men who think they're better than the world who never see a doctor or get a blood test annually. I tell every one of my peeps that you should get a blood test every single year, as most biological problems start at the microscopic level and expand from that. My brethren's boss had a couple of mini myocardial infarctions last week and had stents put in that night with another one scheduled soon. However, he loves eating, is overweight, and is also a long-time smoker...he's lucky because one that would have been five or ten years later could have been a much more massive one.

• Wow
Reactions: The Moops

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
spit out some truly wild things when word finding issues crop up, have short term memory problems and near zero capacity for divided attention
This isn't really a drug to treat aphasia, but ask your doctor concerning your symptoms and Vyvanse. Vyvanse is an ADHD drug, but some reports showcase that it can help processes like working memory (aka short-term), long-term memory, and divided attention. It probably won't help with speech problems and it has some weird arse side-effects like a very jumpy feeling and a lack of appetite (not as strong), so if you lot ever feel like you want to try it, always start with a low dose and work your way up.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

It feels like every other month this guy is asking fans of petition for him. I really, REALLY liked 300 and Watchmen, but since then, all of his films have kinda sucked. I really don't understand how this guy got such a good reputation after only two good films. Man of Steel, was mediocre at best, all of his Justice League stuff was a travesty.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Damn, San Francisco was an awesome city. Like, we've been travelling for four months now and it was easily the favorite so far. Would visit again.

Today we cycled from there to San Jose. Going to see some ultimate suck when SJS face the Flames.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

It feels like every other month this guy is asking fans of petition for him. I really, REALLY liked 300 and Watchmen, but since then, all of his films have kinda sucked. I really don't understand how this guy got such a good reputation after only two good films. Man of Steel, was mediocre at best, all of his Justice League stuff was a travesty.

I'll admit. The trailer for Sucker Punch really got me excited. I had just kinda gotten back into steampunk as the wife and I had a house at the time that was kinda victorian on the inside and we actually went a little crazy in the living room and office (mostly the office). But damn, that movie sucked hard. I can't even remember what it was about. I remember walking out of the movie and realizing I had no idea what it was about even then. If he did a remake, I'm not even sure I would watch it for free on streaming much less offer him money yet once again to work on a stinker.

The dude just needs to quit hollywood. He's incapable of getting his vision on film and he makes nobody happy with the final project. Himself, the studios or patrons of cinema movie theaters.

Reactions: sethro109

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Snyder is brilliant at visuals when he's directing. Few directors today have such a unique visual style or such a gift for sumptuously gorgeous shots. He's also great at using visual effects to blur the line between reality and fantasy. His films always look spectacular.

Unfortunately, he's pretty lousy at the storytelling aspect of filmmaking. When it comes to using those beautiful visuals to engage the audience and tell a compelling story, his work is scattershot at best. 300 worked because the story was really simple. The highly stylized visuals were the entire point, nobody watched that movie looking for nuanced messages and complex characters. But projects like Watchmen and Justice League required more heavy lifting on that side, and he couldn't really carry the load.

Now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that the studios may have handicapped him at times and prevented him from doing what he wanted. That's a real thing in Hollywood, the bean counters can't seem to stop themselves from meddling with the artists. But it is becoming a pattern now with him fumbling the storytelling side of the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad