OT: The Avalounge: Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We had an xbox360 and then we sold it and got a ps3 and liked it loads better.

So disagree

I own all 4 and disagree. The online play on 360 is world's better than the PS3, and the exclusive games are better on the 360. Graphics are a touch better on the PS3 and it has Blu Ray.

That is painfully and blatantly untrue. Name one quality exclusive franchise besides Halo that the original Xbox produced. Not only was the PS2 better than the Xbox in terms of excellent exclusives, it was one of the greatest gaming consoles ever made.

Playstation fanboy! :sarcasm:

I will concede that the PS2 had much better exclusive games. The Xbox had some good ones as well with Halo, KOTOR, Dead or Alive, Forza (better than Gran Turismo 4 IMO), Elder Scrolls III, Fable, Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden Black, and probably a few that I am missing.

What the Xbox did was change gaming systems forever. Xbox Live, while not a new idea, basically kickstarted online gaming for the masses. The internal hard disk drive eliminated the need to memory cards. Graphics wise the Xbox was better in this generation. Xbox also had better multiplayer gaming.

So it basically comes down to what type of games you preferred 10 years ago.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If the Xbox now has blueray, that's the biggest game changer. Value wise PS was always better because of that. I mean that's $100 blue ray player difference between them that existed.

I still like the PS a lot but I will admit Xbox is catching up. My problem is that I always just used to play NHL, NCAA, etc on the game consoles and the games always had little new features but sold themselves on the "new" updater rosters more than anything. I just got a little tired of buying Madden every single freaking year.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If the Xbox now has blueray, that's the biggest game changer. Value wise PS was always better because of that. I mean that's $100 blue ray player difference between them that existed.

I still like the PS a lot but I will admit Xbox is catching up. My problem is that I always just used to play NHL, NCAA, etc on the game consoles and the games always had little new features but sold themselves on the "new" updater rosters more than anything. I just got a little tired of buying Madden every single freaking year.

This problem has been solved by Gamefly for me (though I still buy the NHL series).

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Odd, if anything I'd say Microsoft has lost a lot of ground this coming generation. I had them ahead in the previous gen, 6 years in when their prices had evened out, PS might have pulled even or ahead by a nose. Now there's a large gap, and microsoft is going to need a miracle to get me to go with them again this generation.

$100 dollars more because of an added accessory nobody wants. More expensive online features. Forces you to buy XBL for every app, not just to play online. Sony allows you to play free to play games online without subscription. Not to mention PS4 has much better specs. Its not close right now.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I own all 4 and disagree. The online play on 360 is world's better than the PS3, and the exclusive games are better on the 360. Graphics are a touch better on the PS3 and it has Blu Ray.

Playstation fanboy! :sarcasm:

I will concede that the PS2 had much better exclusive games. The Xbox had some good ones as well with Halo, KOTOR, Dead or Alive, Forza (better than Gran Turismo 4 IMO), Elder Scrolls III, Fable, Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden Black, and probably a few that I am missing.

What the Xbox did was change gaming systems forever. Xbox Live, while not a new idea, basically kickstarted online gaming for the masses. The internal hard disk drive eliminated the need to memory cards. Graphics wise the Xbox was better in this generation. Xbox also had better multiplayer gaming.

So it basically comes down to what type of games you preferred 10 years ago.

Lemming! :sarcasm:

Nah, I own the big 3 and the 360 is the one that I play the most by far simply due to the fact that it's been my friends' console of choice this gen. PS3 did struggle out of the gate due to the overambitious cell architecture and the multi-plats certainly suffered due to it, but Sony has consistently produced the greatest first-party games AINEC. MS simply can't touch a roster of Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, Guerrilla Games, Sony Santa Monica and Team ICO, to only name a few. After MS lost Bungie they've simply been shoveling out buckets of cash to pay for exclusivity, which never lasts, as we learned this gen with the likes of BioShock, Dead Rising and Oblivion. And what studios do they actually have in their stable now? 343, Lionhead and RARE just simply aren't enough to put my faith in Microsoft to consistently produce grade-A in-house exclusives.

Combine that with a $100 cheaper price point and consistent transparency in their policies and the PS4 is easily my console of choice this year. Even my aforementioned friends, who have otherwise been Xbox fanboys up to this point, have their PS4's paid off and don't plan on getting an X1 any time soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only reason I am leaning to Xbox One is the exclusive games. Otherwise the PS4 is the better deal.

I know I'll end up with both within a year. :help:

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-14-player-ratings?utm_campaign=nhl14-social-na-eas-fb-social-na-eas-fb-player-ratings&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=social&sourceid=nhl14-social-na-eas-fb-social-na-eas-fb-player-ratings

Just saw this from EA...I know that 20-1 still have yet to be revealed...but Matty hasnt made an appearance.

Is Duchene a top 50 player?

didnt know where to post this, NHL 14 discussion has been all over the place

Doubt he makes the list.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm going to Poland next spring as an exchange student. Krakow to be exact. Anyone here who has any information about Poland, or more specifically Krakow? What kind of city etc.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

really meant nothing to me i've been downloading video for so long and watching them on external flash drives and eventually a hard drive that watching HD had no impact what so ever, if i chose to go next gen i could really care less about blu-ray. parents got a 3d blu ray when they got a new tv maybe like year and a half ago only movie i've watched on it was avatar and didn't get that theatre experience, haven't bothered with it since.

seems to me playstation did alot of the catching up this generation ,exclusives(to start), with playstation plus, online play i remember playing resistance unable to talk due to no headset, unable to communicate with friends due to an inefficient online space, it's changed now but we were having lan parties for resistance.

going forward playstation seems to have the edge, cheaper price point, (main factor) i dont want to spend an extra hundred bucks because of kinect which i used like twice after getting it in a newer bundle after my console got jacked from my dorms.

I missed this. I can't articulate how wrong it is.

halo 2 ended my ps2's life.

PC still the way to go except for sports games.

to expensive for my taste.

Don't do it.

:thumbu:

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm going to Poland next spring as an exchange student. Krakow to be exact. Anyone here who has any information about Poland, or more specifically Krakow? What kind of city etc.

Its a city of rivers (no joke it has a billion rivers), I am contemplating to transfer to a medical school in Krakow for a new experience and cheapness.

I have a few family members and friends who live there and I have been there twice on vacation. It really is an awesome city, a lot to do, history all over the place, and is fairly large with 800,000 population. Has a good night life if you're that sort of thing, but almost everything is expensive.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Had an Orgo 2 final today, worth 50% of my grade. It was supposed to be a 2 hour final, but within 20 minutes I was done.

I freaked out and after flipping through the entire thing I only found a few mistakes.

Overall, I don't recall many other exams I've ever had which came so easily to me. Sadly, I bombed all the other exams because they were held on the same days as other more critical ones and I really needed a win here with this final.

If I got an A like I expect, I'm assured a B in the course which is all I could ask for.

Furthermore, I also found out that I got a 140/100 on my homework grade in my Transportation in Biological Systems class, where we apply basic Calculus to modeling diffusion in the body (25% of my grade) and that I was the only one to get everything right on the last homework. The professor graduated from MIT with a PhD in Nanomolecular Biomechanics, an insanely intelligent dude and he offers to write me a recommendation for whatever I may need.

Today has been a huge win for me and it feels good.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Had an Orgo 2 final today, worth 50% of my grade. It was supposed to be a 2 hour final, but within 20 minutes I was done.

I freaked out and after flipping through the entire thing I only found a few mistakes.

Overall, I don't recall many other exams I've ever had which came so easily to me. Sadly, I bombed all the other exams because they were held on the same days as other more critical ones and I really needed a win here with this final.

If I got an A like I expect, I'm assured a B in the course which is all I could ask for.

Furthermore, I also found out that I got a 140/100 on my homework grade in my Transportation in Biological Systems class, where we apply basic Calculus to modeling diffusion in the body (25% of my grade) and that I was the only one to get everything right on the last homework. The professor graduated from MIT with a PhD in Nanomolecular Biomechanics, an insanely intelligent dude and he offers to write me a recommendation for whatever I may need.

Today has been a huge win for me and it feels good.

Grats!

Also, definitely appreciate that you say "Orgo" and not "O-chem."

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Fracture,Puncture, the count of monty cristo, Memento.(all the movies that came into my head within 30 seconds). They're all good but Monty Cristo and Puncture are the best 2.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
BEST THREAD EVER.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1489999&page=11

DoubleMintTwins_zpsde6e0119.png

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Its a city of rivers (no joke it has a billion rivers), I am contemplating to transfer to a medical school in Krakow for a new experience and cheapness.

I have a few family members and friends who live there and I have been there twice on vacation. It really is an awesome city, a lot to do, history all over the place, and is fairly large with 800,000 population. Has a good night life if you're that sort of thing, but almost everything is expensive.
Is that compared to mean value if Europe?
Cause I probably will find it cheap there, or I at least assumed so.

Thx for the info.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is that compared to mean value if Europe?
Cause I probably will find it cheap there, or I at least assumed so.

Thx for the info.

Considering you live in Finland everything will seem cheap. :laugh:

Can't really tell you to be honest, haven't been to other countries in a long time. Based on past experience before the Euro, Italy was normally pretty cheap except in tourist trap locations, Germany was average (going into the rich districts will make the price jump), Austria was just like Germany, and I would say Poland is most expensive of the countries I listed (but not too terrible).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Read 3 pages of if the NHL was a party... Holy crap what a slow day.:laugh:

My co worker is watch BB for love of God

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Curious from those of you in industry now...

Is it better to go to grad school right out of undergrad? I'm looking at a couple paths right now and I'm fairly sure I want to go right to work, especially since I'm not too interested in taking on more debt.

I owe prolly 75k to the government right now, were I to go to work I think I can get into a six figure job right out of college (don't ask how). I figure within 3 years I might be able to chip away at that loan to the point it's pennies.

However, if I were to go right into grad school I'd be taking on another ~50-100k depending where I go and which program I take (MS-nonthesis, thesis, PhD, etc). It'd be pretty much assured a legitimate job after college and I might be able to do some part time to keep me afloat since I have job offers, just not great ones.

My thought was go straight to work, start earning some money and saving it up. Then if I find out night school would take too long maybe I just quit and go through grad school then. I want to do a MS-MBA at minimum, the MBA I can get online over 18 months, but the MS will prolly require me to be on campus since it'd be an engineering/science one.

I just want to avoid as much debt as possible, but I've heard a lot of people lately telling me to do grad school right out of college and it's causing me to rethink my plan.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm 37 and probably going to get my executive MBA next year. MBA helps and will get you a higher salary (maybe around $7K/year in instances) but I don't believe it will get you any leadership positions without experience. I think the reason you get an MBA out of the way early is so that you don't ever have to worry about it again later in life - I'd say it's more about that reason than debt. But I think an Executive MBA is better suited for folks that want to go up the corporate ladder, and a MBA is for ambitious individual management folks. I've pointed the question of Executive MBA vs. regular MBA to my HR and that's pretty much what they've told me. An executive MBA is really suitable for people in their late 30's early 40's. So I guess it just matters on your career goals really, and if you're willing to give up your social life while working for a couple of years. If you want to be done with school once and for all, do the MBA now. But I wouldn't expect any great dividends from your MBA until you have MBA + 5-7 years of work experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad