OT: The Avalounge: Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Yeah, the MBA is a long term benefit from what I've heard. But I intend on working my way up the leadership totem pole wherever I go as quickly as possible. The only problem is many programs require a lot of business experience or a really good reason for exception to the rule.

As far as the time thing goes, I've already given up most of my social life for my undergrad alone, so what's another couple years?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Random question to Frenchy or RL or any other mod - why did Tapatalk go away? It's old news but they've made recent upgrades that are really awesome. And I believe it's free now too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just want to avoid as much debt as possible, but I've heard a lot of people lately telling me to do grad school right out of college and it's causing me to rethink my plan.

I did MBA right out of undergrad, which was probably the best way to go for me. If you can stomach continuing school its better to get it over with now than trying to get over the hurdle of going back later on. Plus, tuition prices will probably be even more outrageous in the future anyway.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah, the MBA is a long term benefit from what I've heard. But I intend on working my way up the leadership totem pole wherever I go as quickly as possible. The only problem is many programs require a lot of business experience or a really good reason for exception to the rule.

As far as the time thing goes, I've already given up most of my social life for my undergrad alone, so what's another couple years?

I guess you need to work out the math on your own, but I would expect you to get around $5K more per year with the MBA at the beginning of your career - maybe less maybe more but I feel like $5K is a safe number. You incur additional debt at the beginning, but you also get the additional earnings earlier in your career. If you have any access to HR journals or publications you may want to check whats specific to the industry you're going into. Here is a salary survey from mine. The MBA is making about $25K more but I also think that's when you are more in the middle of your career than just starting.

http://www.ism.ws/files/Products/2013ISMSalarySurveyDetailed.pdf

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
So I started watching New Girl because you guys were talking about it and I ended up watching all of season 1 in a single day. I kept watching because I wanted Jess and Nick to get together finally and it still hasn't happened.

Dumb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So I started watching New Girl because you guys were talking about it and I ended up watching all of season 1 in a single day. I kept watching because I wanted Jess and Nick to get together finally and it still hasn't happened.

Dumb

First of all, that's waaaay to much watching a mediocre show or anything really. 2nd of all thanks for the spoiler

member 116861

I didn't know that JWK actually liked Call Me Maybe and that One Direction song, I always thought it was a joke.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Curious from those of you in industry now...

Is it better to go to grad school right out of undergrad? I'm looking at a couple paths right now and I'm fairly sure I want to go right to work, especially since I'm not too interested in taking on more debt.

I owe prolly 75k to the government right now, were I to go to work I think I can get into a six figure job right out of college (don't ask how). I figure within 3 years I might be able to chip away at that loan to the point it's pennies.

However, if I were to go right into grad school I'd be taking on another ~50-100k depending where I go and which program I take (MS-nonthesis, thesis, PhD, etc). It'd be pretty much assured a legitimate job after college and I might be able to do some part time to keep me afloat since I have job offers, just not great ones.

My thought was go straight to work, start earning some money and saving it up. Then if I find out night school would take too long maybe I just quit and go through grad school then. I want to do a MS-MBA at minimum, the MBA I can get online over 18 months, but the MS will prolly require me to be on campus since it'd be an engineering/science one.

I just want to avoid as much debt as possible, but I've heard a lot of people lately telling me to do grad school right out of college and it's causing me to rethink my plan.

Well, if you do a PhD, the good news is that you can get it for free. Just don't expect huge salaries depending on the industry you're headed towards. I'm in my 1st year of my post-doctoral fellowship and I'm barely cracking over $50k. In a city where the salaries are higher than pretty much everywhere but New York and San Francisco. Then again, post-docs at CU make like $35k... so.... I guess I'm lucky. I also loved my time in grad school. It's a great experience and you learn a lot. But you'll be working. Hard. Long hours. Lots of teaching.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only issue I really see with a MBA right after school is that the very best schools will rarely admit students that have no experience. A lot of times the lowest amount of experience that gets admitted is about 3 years and those are candidates with GMAT scores of 700-710+. Now this is talking about the top 25-50 schools.

If you are looking at a school like CSU, they will basically admit you with a decent GMAT and no work experience. The drawback of this is that more than many other degrees a MBA from a Standford, MIT, Penn, Northwestern, etc. is worth way, way more on the job market compared to a MBA from Toledo, South Florida, Southern Utah, etc.

Depending on what you want to do with your career, it may not matter between schools, but it could also make a world of difference in working your way up the ladder.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The only issue I really see with a MBA right after school is that the very best schools will rarely admit students that have no experience. A lot of times the lowest amount of experience that gets admitted is about 3 years and those are candidates with GMAT scores of 700-710+. Now this is talking about the top 25-50 schools.

If you are looking at a school like CSU, they will basically admit you with a decent GMAT and no work experience. The drawback of this is that more than many other degrees a MBA from a Standford, MIT, Penn, Northwestern, etc. is worth way, way more on the job market compared to a MBA from Toledo, South Florida, Southern Utah, etc.

Depending on what you want to do with your career, it may not matter between schools, but it could also make a world of difference in working your way up the ladder.

I'm currently at Drexel which has a very strong online MBA program as well, so I have an inside track should I wish it. I'm not sure the difference between an executive mba and a regular, or if I can do one and then the other though.

But I have about 2 years of work experience over my 5 year degree and I don't see the GMATs being an issue, granted I'll be taking them and the GREs sometime in the next couple months to see how I do. I've already written one successful business plan which was accepted into the incubator program here (your business model is funded and you can build a company out of it) but I was a junior and obviously couldn't follow through with it, I did win $2,000 for it though.

I'm trying to decide the best course of action, talked to more friends today and some PhD/MS students to get their take. The PhD qualifiers sound pretty rough, but once you get into a position most of them were saying the classes are no more difficult than your core curriculum as an undergrad (which I'm doing fine on, my GPA is climbing from a 3.0 due to a rough Fresh/Soph year). The research I'd hate, I don't like doing research all that much, but it's the only way to get a PhD or a MS... so yeah.

I could get an ME, but those aren't as useful from what I understand. Plus with a MS/ME track I have to shell $$ out of pocket, with the PhD I could get my tuition fees covered for the most part.

As for salaries (Stories mentioned em), I plan on working for the government or for a large private corporation, doing business/project management work. But the majority of the positions I'd be applying to I just barely meet the minimum requirements, the only thing that I stand out with is my clearance level, which suffice to say will make some people interested in me. So salaries don't bother me, I know a PhD/MS/MBA will add something, but the main reason for them is to qualify for better jobs sooner and/or if I don't get the jobs I want to avoid having to do grunt work for 4-5 years to progress.

I'd rather go to grad school than do grunt work. So I was curious if anyone had any advice on whether going back to grad school after work was too difficult on them or if going straight into grad school wasn't very helpful.

I have no problem giving up my social time, I have none as it is anyways. I commute 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, go to the gym the remaining time I'm not studying or coaching.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
That was pretty good. I'm glad you posted that cause I don't watch shows like this.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You know that feeling when you've rocked a final, found out you rocked it and then found out you got an A in the class? Well, until now I hadn't experienced that in awhile.

Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems, calculus based modeling of the diffusive forces within the body. Might as well kill me now, it's all down hill from this moment.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Slow and painful or quick and easy? I don't mind either way, just want to know your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad