The Athletic

How do you feel about The Athletic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The Athletic on sale for 60% off until midnight tonight.

Full year regular price is $71.99, so this deal brings it down to $28.80.

Although there are constant deals on subscriptions, this is the cheapest that I've seen it offered. Works out to less than 8 cents a day!

Expires at midnight tonight. Photo is a screenshot from my email, so can't be clicked on. Simply go to their website.

The Athletic

EDIT: I've updated the hyperlink. Hopefully this gets better results for anyone interested.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.36.51 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RRenegade

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I can only find the one month free trial offer. Can you provide a live link to the anniversary sale?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Same here. Can't see the anniversary sale, just the free trial :/

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I can only find the one month free trial offer. Can you provide a live link to the anniversary sale?

Same here. Can't see the anniversary sale, just the free trial :/

I logged out of my account & tried to log in anonymously. Just had success. This hyperlink may work.

(deleted link)

Let me know if it does. Comes out to $28.70 for the year.

EDIT: Glad to see so many took advantage of the deal!

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeJETson

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
haven't had a chance to read murat's latest piece - how is it? saw this tweet that he's doing an additional article for the series

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I logged out of my account & tried to log in anonymously. Just had success. This hyperlink may work.

The Athletic

Let me know if it does. Comes out to $28.70 for the year.

Thanks man, got it. I was waiting until training camp to re-sub at the best sale price I could find and this was it.

FYI I removed your email address from the link you gave us before logging in/paying. Don't think it matters, but it's in the URL.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
For what it's worth, Ken Wiebe announced at the start of the week he is joining The Athletic, which doubles the number of Winnipeg-based writers (and should apparently double the amount of Winnipeg content).

I think that, combined with a 60% off sale, has me convinced to take the plunge.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Wish I was able to RENEW at that price!

Anyway, The Athletic is worth every penny! Highly recommended.

Agree.

Don't think I'll be renewing this year at the price I paid (59.00, IIRC). Just don't read enough content for it to be worth it to me at this point.

The offer today is a good deal for sure.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Just cancel when your subscription is up, then re-subscribe during a sale.
That's what I did - unfortunately last week so only a 50% discount.
Did it mainly for Kirk Pentons CFL insiders so Ken Wiebe was a bonus (at least for me)
Make sure to hit the tab to pay in CAN dollars - its a slightly better exchange rate

None

Feb 22, 2012
haven't had a chance to read murat's latest piece - how is it? saw this tweet that he's doing an additional article for the series

Nice and long 2 part interview with Maurice that showed a little bit where Maurice's mind is at before the season along with some talk about systems.

The first part I think is a little less interesting. Murat asks about the PP, PK and 5 on 5 play and systems a little bit, Little's effectiveness as a top 6 centre, and the idea of separating Wheeler and Scheifele.

The 1st PP unit was originally instructed to rotate around a lot more than they did for most of their PP time last season. I imagine the rotations we saw when the PP started to struggle was probably the original look that the PP was supposed to have, where Scheifele would swap with Laine, but I think Maurice implies that there's supposed to be even more movement and rotations. Hopefully this means we'll see Connor used more effectively on the PP, I don't think any teams are afraid of him from behind the net and he really hasn't given them reason to be.

Paul Maurice on Adam Lowry said:
The things I like the most about him are it’s winning first for him and he loves playing in Winnipeg. That matters to me because those guys will become the fabric of your team — and he has.
He’s not going to outscore the other opponents, so the statistics aren’t going to look good, but is he going to take enough off your best that our best can be better than your checking line.

The most interesting part of the first article was probably regarding Little's effectiveness, particularly when Scheifele was out injured. They talk a lot about the development of young players, one part that I think is probably pretty accurate about the mentality of probably most players that come into the league

Paul Maurice said:
There’s going to come a point and time with all these kids that they rip off an ungodly number. I’m really excited about that day. And on that day he’s going to say, “See, I could’ve been doing that for the last seven years.” That’s a function of the confidence these guys have to have to get to that level.
I would be surprised if the vast majority of the players in the NHL haven't had a thought like that in their mind at some point in their careers.

He opened the second part with a question about Kyle Connor and Maurice implied that Kyle Connor is nearly as good defensively as Andrew Copp. Maurice also later implies that Connor is more effective defensively than Ehlers.

When asked who's going to get to the level Copp is at defensively first out of Connor, Laine, or Ehlers:
Paul Maurice said:
Andrew Copp is very strong on the one side defensively but Kyle’s not far off that, with a huge upside to his offence. He’s out of that mix. I bet you I’ve shown that guy nine, 10 defensive video clips since he’s been here. He just picks it up and he goes.

They talk about Copp and compare his development path as a forward going between centre and wing with Roslovic. Maurice talks about Copp when he came in playing centre, he was playing slow but when he went back to centre this year his pace was much improved, closer to how Maurice thinks he plays at wing with less responsibility.

They also discussed the defensemen, the Buff and Morrissey conversation was pretty much as anyone probably would've expected. I read it as Maurice expecting Morrissey and Byfuglien to be on separate pairs, but he's not going to form pairs until he's seen them all in camp (Niku, Poolman, Pionk, Beaulieu). I found this quote pretty interesting, I think this was the game where Dave Quinn and the Rangers players gave a lot of props to the Jets after the game.

Paul Maurice said:
We go into New York last year and I believe they played in Montreal the night before so we’re waiting on them. I start Scheif and I think it might have been KC and Wheels and he starts Pionk and Staal. I’m kind of licking my chops a little. I don’t know Neal very well. I mean, I know him a bit as a player but I’m thinking this is going to be a good night. We were down 3-0 after two.

They also talked about defensive systems and one thing that stood out was Maurice saying that 1) The Vegas Golden Knights are the most man-to-man team in the NHL, and 2) the Jets system calls for man-to-man play sometimes, but Maurice says on nights where they're playing man-to-man a lot they're not happy.
To me it sounds like the Jets defensemen revert to man-to-man coverage when a forward loses their assignment.

Murat's afterword summarizes his thoughts on the entire series of questions from both articles. I might be reading too much into it, but he comments on how Maurice's high praise of Connor needs to translate into "real, tangible results" this season, and to me it sounds pretty critical of that praise.

Murat Ates said:
Wholesale lineup changes — notably the separation of Scheifele and Wheeler to create two play-driving lines — don’t seem likely.

He thinks Maurice is leaning more towards giving Lowry more minutes, rather than Copp like some were probably expecting.

Overall I think it's an excellent interview, it's definitely worth the read. I think for me it confirmed some of the things I've been a little worried about regarding the coaching. I just don't see the defensive awareness that Maurice sees in Connor, and the interview makes me think that he's vastly underestimating Ehlers' ability defensively because of silly things like eye tracking and stick positioning.
I should point out that neither of those things (eye tracking or stick positioning) were directly mentioned in either part of the interview, those are just my suppositions because he talks about head movement and following players with their eyes and Connor's ability to anticipate plays as reasons why he's good defensively.
I feel like at some point we're going to start mocking intangibles the same way people do with Jonathan Toews with regards to how Maurice evaluates players.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Nice and long 2 part interview with Maurice that showed a little bit where Maurice's mind is at before the season along with some talk about systems.

The first part I think is a little less interesting. Murat asks about the PP, PK and 5 on 5 play and systems a little bit, Little's effectiveness as a top 6 centre, and the idea of separating Wheeler and Scheifele.

The 1st PP unit was originally instructed to rotate around a lot more than they did for most of their PP time last season. I imagine the rotations we saw when the PP started to struggle was probably the original look that the PP was supposed to have, where Scheifele would swap with Laine, but I think Maurice implies that there's supposed to be even more movement and rotations. Hopefully this means we'll see Connor used more effectively on the PP, I don't think any teams are afraid of him from behind the net and he really hasn't given them reason to be.

The most interesting part of the first article was probably regarding Little's effectiveness, particularly when Scheifele was out injured. They talk a lot about the development of young players, one part that I think is probably pretty accurate about the mentality of probably most players that come into the league

I would be surprised if the vast majority of the players in the NHL haven't had a thought like that in their mind at some point in their careers.

He opened the second part with a question about Kyle Connor and Maurice implied that Kyle Connor is nearly as good defensively as Andrew Copp. Maurice also later implies that Connor is more effective defensively than Ehlers.

When asked who's going to get to the level Copp is at defensively first out of Connor, Laine, or Ehlers:

They talk about Copp and compare his development path as a forward going between centre and wing with Roslovic. Maurice talks about Copp when he came in playing centre, he was playing slow but when he went back to centre this year his pace was much improved, closer to how Maurice thinks he plays at wing with less responsibility.

They also discussed the defensemen, the Buff and Morrissey conversation was pretty much as anyone probably would've expected. I read it as Maurice expecting Morrissey and Byfuglien to be on separate pairs, but he's not going to form pairs until he's seen them all in camp (Niku, Poolman, Pionk, Beaulieu). I found this quote pretty interesting, I think this was the game where Dave Quinn and the Rangers players gave a lot of props to the Jets after the game.

They also talked about defensive systems and one thing that stood out was Maurice saying that 1) The Vegas Golden Knights are the most man-to-man team in the NHL, and 2) the Jets system calls for man-to-man play sometimes, but Maurice says on nights where they're playing man-to-man a lot they're not happy.
To me it sounds like the Jets defensemen revert to man-to-man coverage when a forward loses their assignment.

Murat's afterword summarizes his thoughts on the entire series of questions from both articles. I might be reading too much into it, but he comments on how Maurice's high praise of Connor needs to translate into "real, tangible results" this season, and to me it sounds pretty critical of that praise.

He thinks Maurice is leaning more towards giving Lowry more minutes, rather than Copp like some were probably expecting.

Overall I think it's an excellent interview, it's definitely worth the read. I think for me it confirmed some of the things I've been a little worried about regarding the coaching. I just don't see the defensive awareness that Maurice sees in Connor, and the interview makes me think that he's vastly underestimating Ehlers' ability defensively because of silly things like eye tracking and stick positioning.
I should point out that neither of those things (eye tracking or stick positioning) were directly mentioned in either part of the interview, those are just my suppositions because he talks about head movement and following players with their eyes and Connor's ability to anticipate plays as reasons why he's good defensively.
I feel like at some point we're going to start mocking intangibles the same way people do with Jonathan Toews with regards to how Maurice evaluates players.

Many more reasons here to fear a future with Paul Maurice. Every time he opens his mouth he reinforces it.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Many more reasons here to fear a future with Paul Maurice. Every time he opens his mouth he reinforces it.

I think he has the right idea for what a winning team needs to do and what it should look like, but I think that he has blindspots in his evaluation of players and how they fit on the team and in the lineup.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think he has the right idea for what a winning team needs to do and what it should look like, but I think that he has blindspots in his evaluation of players and how they fit on the team and in the lineup.

This last bit is the main thing for me, as I've tried and failed to make clear in a few posts. I think he sees the player, likes the player (or doesn't much like him), and on that basis assigns the player a role on the team -- and then the team shifts, minutely or substantially, to fit that player and his perceived strengths and role.

I don't get how a coach as experienced as PM, involved with hockey at a high level all his life, can watch Ehlers and KC and conclude that KC is the superior defender and/or all-rounder. Their differences in defensive awareness, anticipation and commitment are obvious even in practice -- and I like KC a lot and think he can be a very good 200-foot player.

Re. the idea of Laine as a power forward -- it's pretty clear to many here that Laine is one of those players who can hit hyperdrive when he's fully engaged in a game -- we saw some of that in the playoffs. I think a good coach looks at and listens to a player like that and works with him on ways to be engaged, even when he's slumping, or not on the first line, or just scored an own goal, etc. Maybe he does, and we don't see it, or maybe he does, but only with his faves -- I see in that interview, in his game management and even his postgame interviews a coach who has trouble with the complex dynamics of a team, and a game-state, despite knowing a lot about individual players, etc. Good for KC, I guess.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't get how a coach as experienced as PM, involved with hockey at a high level all his life, can watch Ehlers and KC and conclude that KC is the superior defender and/or all-rounder.

Start with he's not very good at his job. You can probably end there too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's perhaps overly simplistic to translate summary shot metrics into conclusions about a player's defensive effectiveness. Shot metrics encompass a lot of elements of play beyond defensive play without the puck. As an example, Ehlers is outstanding at zone exits and entries, which reflects how he plays when he has the puck. That translates into fewer shots against and more shots for, translating into better metrics in terms of expected goals for and against. But when you ask a coach about defensive play, he's not just looking at how effective a player is with the puck, he's focusing on how effectively the player restricts shot attempts, etc. when the other team has the puck.

Now, I think it's perfectly fair argument to say that in the end it should be about overall performance, which can be measured to some degree through adjusted shot metrics. However, nobody asked Maurice to compare Ehlers and Connor with respect to zone exits or zone entries. It's quite possible that he would praise Ehlers in that regard.

Having said that, it does seem quite clear that the Jets' coaches and other players are enamoured with how Connor plays. I've been critical of Connor's play last year, but I still think he is an outstanding young player who works hard, is diligent, and has sublime skill. It's not as though he's a bad player. He was just on a line last year that struggled for reasons that are not immediately obvious (though I've pointed to really poor zone exits as a hypothesis).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad