The Athletic

How do you feel about The Athletic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So I caved & subscribed to the Athletic. It took a few friends cutting & pasting stories to get me to opt in...now I'm hooked. $40.00 for a year? Yes please!

Other than my second date with a high school girlfriend at the Olive Garden back in 1987, this is the best bang for my buck ever!

Curious who else subscribes. The latest article "Analytics vs. the eye test: A comprehensive look at the Jets penalty kill and why it might regress" was incredible.

Analytics vs. the eye test: A comprehensive look at the Jets...

Also found it interesting that some of Maurice's latest interviews have been far more in depth. It appears a few certain someones getting press credentials is the reason.

Local sport sections need to up their game. There's a new sheriff in town.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So I caved & subscribed to the Athletic. It took a few friends cutting & pasting stories to get me to opt in...now I'm hooked. $40.00 for a year?

Other than my second date with a high school girlfriend at the Olive Garden back in 1987, this is the best bang for my buck ever!

Curious who else subscribes.The latest article "Analytics vs. the eye test: A comprehensive look at the Jets penalty kill and why it might regress" was incredible.

Also found it interesting that some of Maurice's latest interviews have been far more in depth. It appears a few certain someones getting press credentials is the reason.

Local sport sections need to up their game. There's a new sheriff in town.

TMI. :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I subscribed last summer and it's been totally worth it. They've assembled a strong team there - unparalleled in hockey journalism, IMO. It's not just about analysis, analytics and prospects, but I'd say that's the focus. The Jets have their own section on the site and dedicated contributors - Murat Ates and Leah Hextall - but there are at-large contributors with a broader focus who also write specifically about the Jets (like Dellow and Bourne) and then the people writing things of interest to fans of all teams across the league (LeBrun, Dom Lucyzyzyzzyn, Custance, Pronman, etc.).

If you're a Jets fan, I'd highly recommend it. It's interesting stuff. There are often sales for 30% off. Students can subscribe for 50%. Order today with the code Gm0ney and receive a free MyPillow! (Just kidding...there is no code or pillow).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Jets have their own section on the site and dedicated contributors - Murat Ates and Leah Hextall - but there are at-large contributors with a broader focus who also write specifically about the Jets (like Dellow and Bourne) and then the people writing things of interest to fans of all teams across the league (LeBrun, Dom Lucyzyzyzzyn, Custance, Pronman, etc.).

We even had one article authored by our very own Garret Hohl

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

One of the most interesting things coming out of the article above was:

Winnipeg not only gives up more shot attempts on their PK than other teams do, they do so at an alarming rate, higher than any other team in the NHL over the past 11 seasons combined. There are 331 teams & this years Jets is either the worst or near worst.

Shot attempts against: 331/331
Unblocked shot attempts against: 331/331
Shots against: 329/331
High danger scoring chances against: 243/331
Expected goals against: 330/331

What's remarkable is the Jets save percentage. Analyzing the same period the Jets have a 0.911, which this year is the NHL’s best 4v5 save percentage. It's so good, it ranks 14th best out of the 331 team seasons since 2007-08.

This begs the question how can a team be the worst in 11 NHL seasons in 4x5 shots against, yet escape with a GGA & SV% that are so elite.

Little things like this & then analyzing how & why give credence to Maurice's coaching methods. It appears the Jets strategy of keeping shots to the perimeter is reaping dividends.

The downside to the article is asking whether or not this is sustainable, particularly in the playoffs where advance scouting & days of preparation practicing against the Jets PK could undermine the teams current strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll add that it appears the advanced stats questions regarding the use of Tanev over Roslovic & the follow up questions that led to Maurice getting far more descriptive than usual lately are the result of an Athletic journalist asking these questions.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's the point. A paid prescription allows them to have a clean interface, and their business model looks to be sustainable, based on the one principle: people will pay for quality content.

I hated the old ESPN insider thing and because of that I was a bit reluctant. I joined because of Dellow primarily and Pronman but I waited for a 40% off sale to make the plunge

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I got a good offer on Black Friday. Best purchase I made all of last year outside of NHL Game Center. I really haven’t found anywhere else with higher quality Jets coverage. I highly recommend it to any Jets fan!

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Even if you leave the statsy parts out of Murat's articles he uses his access to the players / coaches to ask interesting questions and gets good technical answers. It's super refreshing to have someone go speak to these guys and get into the nuts and bolts rather than just printing out the same canned reply's again and again.

The Winnipeg content is fairly sparse since he's the only dedicated writer right now but man does the quality of his stuff blow away anything else out there.

All IMO of course. :)

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
I signed up for The Athletic when they offered the Black Friday deal and have been blown away by the quality and depth of the writing. Murat is a gem and even makes Maurice's interviews post-game so much more interesting. I'm impressed how Maurice always has an answer for him.

Being a frugal 'Pegger, though, does anyone know if renewing is full-price? I haven't been signed up long enough to renew just yet. There's a recurring joke on the Puck Soup podcast that no one should ever pay full price for The Athletic since they offer so many deals throughout the year.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I signed up for The Athletic when they offered the Black Friday deal and have been blown away by the quality and depth of the writing. Murat is a gem and even makes Maurice's interviews post-game so much more interesting. I'm impressed how Maurice always has an answer for him.

Being a frugal 'Pegger, though, does anyone know if renewing is full-price? I haven't been signed up long enough to renew just yet. There's a recurring joke on the Puck Soup podcast that no one should ever pay full price for The Athletic since they offer so many deals throughout the year.

They had a renewal /extension sale a while back. Perhaps they will again

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

So it's a Sirius satellite radio sort of thing? After the free year, call in every 3 months, say you're going to cancel, they off you a lower price, say naw that's still too much, they offer you an even lower price for 3 months. Accept, in 3 months time repeat the exercise.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I subscribed last summer and it's been totally worth it. They've assembled a strong team there - unparalleled in hockey journalism, IMO. It's not just about analysis, analytics and prospects, but I'd say that's the focus. The Jets have their own section on the site and dedicated contributors - Murat Ates and Leah Hextall - but there are at-large contributors with a broader focus who also write specifically about the Jets (like Dellow and Bourne) and then the people writing things of interest to fans of all teams across the league (LeBrun, Dom Lucyzyzyzzyn, Custance, Pronman, etc.).

If you're a Jets fan, I'd highly recommend it. It's interesting stuff. There are often sales for 30% off. Students can subscribe for 50%. Order today with the code Gm0ney and receive a free MyPillow! (Just kidding...there is no code or pillow).

Came in just to lol at Dom's last name hahaha :P

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Would have voted "good but not essential." Enjoy the Jets articles and a few other team-related pieces but overall coverage remains spotty and NA-centric, still does not feel like a cover-to-cover read for me. Also wish they'd drop the article ratings skeus. But for the price of a few beers at a jets game, a solid value, IMO.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Just downloaded the app and started reading one of my 5 per month freebies. Certainly better stuff than anything written anywhere else on the Jets since their return. Good stuff not fluff.

Does the subscription give you access to everything on the athletic website?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
High danger scoring chances against: 243/331

What's remarkable is the Jets save percentage. Analyzing the same period the Jets have a 0.911, which this year is the NHL’s best 4v5 save percentage. It's so good, it ranks 14th best out of the 331 team seasons since 2007-08.

Little things like this & then analyzing how & why give credence to Maurice's coaching methods.

Personally what I think it gives the most credence to is Helly is having a good year. Being bottom third historically in high danger scoring chances against doesn't scream good coaching methods to me.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Just downloaded the app and started reading one of my 5 per month freebies. Certainly better stuff than anything written anywhere else on the Jets since their return. Good stuff not fluff.

Does the subscription give you access to everything on the athletic website?

Yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->