The Athletic

How do you feel about The Athletic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Read Leah Hextall's piece in the Athletic today. Is it just me or does she often manage to work her last name into her work? We get it. You're related to Ron Hextall. I didn't see how inserting yourself into the story improves it or the interview. I'm curious what others think of this.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Read Leah Hextall's piece in the Athletic today. Is it just me or does she often manage to work her last name into her work? We get it. You're related to Ron Hextall. I didn't see how inserting yourself into the story improves it or the interview. I'm curious what others think of this.

It was relevant to the article, I don't see the issue.

Reactions: purdy44

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I guess the gist of it was she was trying to relate to Brendan Lemieux about coming from "hockey royalty" but she didn't need to mention she was related to Ron more than once in my opinion so it was a bit odd. More odd to me was starting her article claiming they are both from "Hockey Royalty", it's not like he is the son of Mario Lemieux and she is related to Wayne Gretzky. Saying "hockey family" would have sufficed. Ron Hextall and Claude Lemieux had fine careers but let's call a spade a spade

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
She is the queen of self-promotion. I read that article today and rolled my eyes. Most of the comments pointed this out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That Hextall family is 3 generations of professionals. Bryan was the patriarch who was a great professional......both his sons Bryan jr. And Dennis played in the NHL......then Dennis’s son Ron obviously played in the NHL.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
The Athletic is good. Not $50 a year good, I say $25. You will get me at that price point.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

The thing you have to understand, is that she's a Hextall. Not that she's not a HAXtall, those are just the bumpkins down the road. But a HEXtall.

Good of her to give a shoutout to Brendan Lemieux in her interview though!

Reactions: wgpsensfan and Ares

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
There is an article about the Jets every 4 days or so. Oct 2, Oct 4, Oct 9. That's been the month so far. $100 a year? Really? I don't see the value. With these 60% discounts, It's a sinking ship.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Is Murat not in the coach's press availability anymore? I don't think I have heard a question from him so far this season.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Even if you leave the statsy parts out of Murat's articles he uses his access to the players / coaches to ask interesting questions and gets good technical answers. It's super refreshing to have someone go speak to these guys and get into the nuts and bolts rather than just printing out the same canned reply's again and again.

The Winnipeg content is fairly sparse since he's the only dedicated writer right now but man does the quality of his stuff blow away anything else out there.

All IMO of course. :)

Murat is a customer of mine - he also writes (and self-publishes) poetry and journals. He's gifted, insightful, and generally a really nice guy. His talent shines bright.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Murat is a fine writer and probably a good guy but I’m done with his “If Lowry was a winger the third lines score effects would be better” articles. They’re boring me. I didn’t even read the last one on 55. I want someone on that website to be more of a columnist. Lord knows no one in the local mainstream press has the balls to even be even little bit of a contrarian. Doing so gets them off of their radio and television gigs. Ask Paul Wiecek. The last Leah Hextall article was an utter embarrassment. The national NHL long form pieces are good. Lebrun’s stuff is okay. But you can get most of that info on traditional sites. I won’t be renewing when my time is up.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
There is an article about the Jets every 4 days or so. Oct 2, Oct 4, Oct 9. That's been the month so far. $100 a year? Really? I don't see the value. With these 60% discounts, It's a sinking ship.

Personally I wouldn't sub to the Athletic to follow one team and nothing else. But if you follow the NHL as a whole and other sports, for the ~$35 it's regularly priced at it's a complete no-brainer.

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally I wouldn't sub to the Athletic to follow one team and nothing else. But if you follow the NHL as a whole and other sports, for the ~$35 it's regularly priced at it's a complete no-brainer.
Full price is $60/year, so $5/month...pretty reasonable even if you only follow one team. I'm first and foremost a Jets fan, but I enjoy the general interest articles about the NHL. And there is tons of that covering just about every aspect of the league (CBA/looming lockout; analytics articles, articles breaking down teams' special teams or other aspects of the game, human interest stuff, point predictions/power rankings, etc.).

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
How the subtle changes Paul Maurice wants from the Jets are...

Great new piece up today on the Athletic that focus' in on zone entries affecting the Jets PP.

Suggestion here is that PP1's issues of late aren't due to the PP itself, but rather that opposition teams have been successful limiting the Jets chances to get it set it up in the first place. The lack of offensive zone time is decreasing its success.

Analysis done so well, Maurice had this to say, "You’re banned, revoke that man’s pass. Take away his computer and video on the way out. … Flatten his tires too!” Yes, his response was in jest, but it's not the first time Maurice has called out Ates for asking real questions regarding strategy.

Watching from above in the Columbis game, Ates noticed a change to the route Laine is running on PP1, a long arc that puts him offside until the puck carrier, generally Morrissey, skates the puck up ice, at which point Laine crosses to the safe side of the blue line to become a passing threat.

Purpose here is to distract defenders with a potential stretch pass and as a result open up the neutral zone so that the Jets can gain the zone, set up and go to work.

Athletic continuing to offer analysis you can't find anywhere else.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How the subtle changes Paul Maurice wants from the Jets are...

Great new piece up today on the Athletic that focus' in on zone entries affecting the Jets PP.

Suggestion here is that PP1's issues of late aren't due to the PP itself, but rather that opposition teams have been successful limiting the Jets chances to get it set it up in the first place. The lack of offensive zone time is decreasing its success.

Analysis done so well, Maurice had this to say, "You’re banned, revoke that man’s pass. Take away his computer and video on the way out. … Flatten his tires too!” Yes, his response was in jest, but it's not the first time Maurice has called out Ates for asking real questions regarding strategy.

Watching from above in the Columbis game, Ates noticed a change to the route Laine is running on PP1, a long arc that puts him offside until the puck carrier, generally Morrissey, skates the puck up ice, at which point Laine crosses to the safe side of the blue line to become a passing threat.

Purpose here is to distract defenders with a potential stretch pass and as a result open up the neutral zone so that the Jets can gain the zone, set up and go to work.

Athletic continuing to offer analysis you can't find anywhere else.

They tried that arc with Roslovic against the Ducks and it worked to perfection.

You can tell teams are adjusting to the PP1. The zone entries are heavily defended. That said, I don't blame the coach for not commenting on strategy in the media during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad