The Athletic

How do you feel about The Athletic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I subscribe and everything about it is top shelf especially for the smart marks (people that are comfortable with analytics). They attracted talented writers that take deeper dives in to much more interesting hockey topics than the standard local newspaper does.
There are plenty of stats averse fans, but don't lump all the stats naysayers together. Some are well versed in statistical analysis.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Totally worth the money. If you want to sign up ping James Mirtle up on Twitter and he will hook you up with a discount even if there are no deals or promotions going on.

Dellow's made the same offer. But his code, when used, doesn't come with an implicit request for more Leefs coverage. :teach:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I totally won that! Hot dog is a type of Frankfurter sandwich.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A sandwich must by definition include two entirely separate slices of bread. I will allow for a third slice, but four or more is just getting silly. Splitting open a bun such that it remains hinged falls outside the definition of a sandwich. A hot dog is a sub, which I also do not consider to be a sandwich. Unless the twit behind the counter at Subway accidentally slices all the way through the bun, or the condiments and sauces make it so soggy that it splits on its own, as so often seems to happen to me. But I digress... You may also call a hot dog a bunwich because that's just a stupid, made up word with no pedigree. But sandwich? :nono:

And while we're at it, open faced sandwiches are not sandwiches, either. That's just a frickin' oversized canape, fer Pete's sake. Going down that road just opens the door to include pizzas and flatbreads into the sandwich realm. Madness.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A hot dog is not a sandwich. A sandwich must by definition include two entirely separate slices of bread. I will allow for a third slice, but four or more is just getting silly. Splitting open a bun such that it remains hinged falls outside the definition of a sandwich. A hot dog is a sub, which I also do not consider to be a sandwich. Unless the twit behind the counter at Subway accidentally slices all the way through the bun, or the condiments and sauces make it so soggy that it splits on its own, as so often seems to happen to me. But I digress... You may also call a hot dog a bunwich because that's just a stupid, made up word with no pedigree. But sandwich? :nono:

And while we're at it, open faced sandwiches are not sandwiches, either. That's just a frickin' oversized canape, fer Pete's sake. Going down that road just opens the door to include pizzas and flatbreads into the sandwich realm. Madness.

Some people think a hot dog is actually a taco

CC428_C55-5_A2_E-45_A5-8116-3_CBE988_C70_B3.png

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

A sub is a type of sandwich, all subs are not hinged ala Subway, which any self respecting sandwich lover would avoid at all costs anyway.

A hot dog is a type of sausage, when you place it inside a bun, hinged or not, it becomes a sandwich.

I'll grant you the canapé analogy, this is correct.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

You can consider it to not be a sandwich, doesn't make it so. Cause a Sub is most definitely a sandwich. To this there is no debate.

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
A sub is a type of sandwich, all subs are not hinged ala Subway, which any self respecting sandwich lover would avoid at all costs anyway.

If you split the bread, it becomes a Hero. ;)

Subway's quality aside (who doesn't love their Chikken (tm)?), I've always made subs like a little "bread boat" cause I tend to get a bit heavy with the wet stuff like sauces, condiments, pickles and I want that mess contained as much as possible. Then it becomes a race against time to finish it before it disintegrates. :laugh:

Yeah, I know. Off topic.

BTW, love the new avatar @Howard Chuck . I'm going to have that song in my head every time I see your posts.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
I got an email link for 50% off first year. I wont use it. Anyone wan it? Just shoot me your email and I can forward it

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Temporarily "down for the count"...hockey coverage may be good but boxing terminology isn't their strongpoint.

The AthleticView attachment 114345

I use to be a huge Boxing fan up until I was about 35 years old then for some reason I lost most of my interest in the sport and have never got it back. Not sure why that happened perhaps it’s just that I grew up in a golden age of boxing when there were so many great rivalries and somehow that all seemed to dry up for so long I just tuned out. MMA is even worse for me and I have zero interest. Maybe it’s just an againg thing but I don’t have the stomach for it anymore.

Reactions: Ducky10

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Gave up on the 3 free articles a month and took the plunge last week with the 50% discount offer. Lots of great articles. Really like the one Ates wrote on Enstrom yesterday. Well worth the $36 bucks a year. The INK section has some interesting reads too.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Interested to see one of these graphs for the playoffs so far, given how Ehlers, Laine and Connor have dried up, comparatively speaking.

Playoffs:
11GP-3G-6A-9pts (Laine) 0.82 pts/gp
11GP-2G-4A-6pts (Connor) 0.55pts/gp
10GP-0G-5A-5pts (Ehlers) 0.50pts/gp

Regular Season
82GP-44G-26A-70pts (Laine) 0.85 pts/gp
76GP-31G-26A-57pts (Connor) 0.75pts/gp
82GP-29G-31A-60pts (Ehlers) 0.73pts/gp

"Dried up" is a little harsh, underachieving would be a better description.

Goal production is certainly down substantially.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Playoffs:
11GP-3G-6A-9pts (Laine) 0.82 pts/gp
11GP-2G-4A-6pts (Connor) 0.55pts/gp
10GP-0G-5A-5pts (Ehlers) 0.50pts/gp

Regular Season
82GP-44G-26A-70pts (Laine) 0.85 pts/gp
76GP-31G-26A-57pts (Connor) 0.75pts/gp
82GP-29G-31A-60pts (Ehlers) 0.73pts/gp

"Dried up" is a little harsh, underachieving would be a better description.

Goal production is certainly down substantially.

Which is why I meant comparatively, and I guess I should have specified goals.

While they do have some good showings, it just feels like ages since they've potted one (excluding Connor's recent production).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad