The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
You're trying to change the perspective into it being about the team sucking. Signing the kid would make us more competitive, which is the whole point.

This is completely subjective to whether or not a person thinks Del Zotto is good or not. If Nashville thought they had an asset, they wouldn't just throw it away. In fact, no one has signed him yet. Does that give enough of a hint?

Just cause he scored 40 points before, doesn't mean he's that good. You know who also scored 40 points here? Brent Sopel.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
We're still attempting to be competitive and spending close to the cap.

Investing $2.2 million in a guy who was a healthy scratch/3rd pairing guy last year and who needs a $3 million QO next summer doesn't make a lot of sense. He's ridiculously overpaid for what he is and what he's done.

So they say :sarcasm:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just cause he scored 40 points before, doesn't mean he's that good. You know who also scored 40 points here? Brent Sopel.

Nope, it's because he's scored three 30 point seasons in the NHL AND the Canucks have nobody else with that type of PP QB ability that means he's worth a one year deal.......

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
We're still attempting to be competitive and spending close to the cap.

Investing $2.2 million in a guy who was a healthy scratch/3rd pairing guy last year and who needs a $3 million QO next summer doesn't make a lot of sense. He's ridiculously overpaid for what he is and what he's done.

There's plenty of guys on the roster, including Sbisa, that they could remove but what can you do with that extra money anyways?

If he doesn't pan out this year, the team could always let him walk, like Nashville did to Del Zotto.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Nope, it's because he's scored three 30 point seasons in the NHL AND the Canucks have nobody else with that type of PP QB ability that means he's worth a one year deal.......

Lets just agree to disagree. There's no point in continue. I think Del Zotto sucks, and you seem to think he's good.

"There's nobody else with that type of PP QB ability". Are we talking about Del Zotto? My god.

John Bender*

Lets just agree to disagree. There's no point in continue. I think Del Zotto sucks, and you seem to think he's good.

"There's nobody else with that type of PP QB ability". Are we talking about Del Zotto? My god.

Two teams have more or less given up on him. A big pass from me. I'd rather they just play Frankie Corrado.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Two teams have more or less given up on him. A big pass from me. I'd rather they just play Frankie Corrado.

Agreed. I just simply don't get it, even if people don't watch the players closely, there a reason why this is a hockey board. There's plenty of guys here, league wide that do.

There's the "Search" option on the bottom, or even google. You can find, plenty of threads; such as; http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1435925

Do a little research on the player, perhaps? There's nothing positive about Del Zotto on that thread, a year ago. The only thing the Rangers have been doing, is riding on his youth and "potential"

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
I feel like Nolan Baumgartner's 34 point season (22 on the PP, only 70 GP) in 2005-2006 needs to be mentioned in here...

Yannick Weber would easily put up 40 points if he played 4+ minutes on the PP this season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Clearly.
Pray tell me which one of our DMen have better PP QB ability then....?
Since nobody on the roster cracked 30 points....

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
DP and Winnick are still some useful guys out there. Could get them cheap.

If possible, acquiring someone like Franson for a late pick or something could turn out well. Stick him on the 3rd pair. He's at least a PP asset.

I don't see Lindenning making any further moves though. I think the roster is more or less set.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DP and Winnick are still some useful guys out there. Could get them cheap.

If possible, acquiring someone like Franson for a late pick or something could turn out well. Stick him on the 3rd pair. He's at least a PP asset.

I don't see Lindenning making any further moves though. I think the roster is more or less set.

I like Winnik but we already rented Dorsett and I don't see Winnik coming here to be 13th forward. We'd have to make some moves.

Franson is interesting, my first impression is I wouldn't him mind as a 7th D/ or 6th D as a PP option if he is playing well but do we need another $2m 6/7 dman?

I have to think there is another move or two coming. It will be interesting to see what happens around preseason, there only seems to be 22 players fixed to the roster atm.

Last edited:

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I'm assuming Del Zotto plays on the left side, so the whole "I'd rather let Corrado play" shouldn't even come into the conversation since Corrado plays on the right side.

I haven't followed Del Zotto too much other than the obvious moves, but if you look back, he's really had only one bad season. I personally don't see why give up on a kid with his potential over one bad season, but I may be missing something. Regardless, I'd be happy giving him a chance. He says he realizes he has to prove that he can do more than just quarterback a powerplay so his head is definitely in the right place. All he needs is another opportunity.

As far as depth...

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Weber
Sbisa - Corrado

Obviously not much room, but I'd still gladly give him a shot. If you take enough flyers, you may eventually hit something. What was that about missing 100% of the shots you don't take? He's definitely worth a shot.

Not to mention Desjardins likes an up tempo style, which plays right into his style. They can teach him defense.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like Winnik but we already rented Dorsett and I don't see Winnik coming here to be 13th forward. We'd have to make some moves.

Franson is interesting, my first impression is I wouldn't mind as a 7th D/ or 6th D as a PP option if he is playing well but do we need another $2m 6/7 dman.

I have to there there is another move or two coming. It will be interesting to see what happens around preseason, there only seems to be 22 players fixed to the roster atm.

Roster looks set to me. I don't see anything happening.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis- Bieksa
Stanton - Weber
Sbisa - Sanguinetti

I don't see any holes. Names are pencilled in.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Roster looks set to me. I don't see anything happening.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis- Bieksa
Stanton - Weber
Sbisa - Sanguinetti

I don't see any holes. Names are pencilled in.

I'm not sure both Sanguinetti and Weber make the team, but I agree that Corrado is back to the minors.

I feel that we might run with 14 forwards, carry a 13th forward that can play in the top 9 which would suit a more up tempo style attack.

Last edited:

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Sometimes I get the impression that our organization won't rest until the entire forward corps is made up of defensive centers.

McCann Horvat Cassels
Fox Gaunce Mallet
Matthias Bonino Richardsson
Friesen Lain Myron

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sometimes I get the impression that our organization won't rest until the entire forward corps is made up of defensive centers.

McCann Horvat Cassels
Fox Gaunce Mallet
Matthias Bonino Richardsson
Friesen Lain Myron

Nothing wrong with redundancy at a key position. I hope they keep infusing the pipeline with them, and then push the weaker ones out to wing. This way, you're assured some quality up the middle.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Clearly.
Pray tell me which one of our DMen have better PP QB ability then....?
Since nobody on the roster cracked 30 points....

So how does this work, we pick Del Zotto's best season and compare it to the Canuck defensemens' worst seasons?

Ok..

In 2011-12 Michael Del Zotto played 4:11 per game on the powerplay and put up 14 points there (Dan Girardi put up 4 fewer PP points in 178 fewer PP minutes), good for 2.67 points per 60 minutes of powerplay time.. third on his own team in that figure for a defenseman with more than 50:00 on the powerplay for the season.

This past year Alex Edler and Yannick Weber both finished with more than 4 points per 60 minutes of powerplay time and Kevin Bieksa finished with 3.24.

So if Del Zotto returns to his peak form (presumably he's been awful on purpose in the two seasons since then so this should be easy) he could be the fourth-most productive option for the point on the powerplay!

Oh except Radim Vrbata commonly plays up at the point on the powerplay, and he scored 5.03 points per 60 minutes on the powerplay last year. But hey we could sign Del Zotto to play on the third powerplay unit!

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Sbisa is physical, and can fight. People have been complaining about having not having a tough physical bottom six guy, who can fight, and be physical so the top guys don't have to.
Ryan Stanton. And he comes at a far cheaper price.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
So how does this work, we pick Del Zotto's best season and compare it to the Canuck defensemens' worst seasons?

Ok..

In 2011-12 Michael Del Zotto played 4:11 per game on the powerplay and put up 14 points there (Dan Girardi put up 4 fewer PP points in 178 fewer PP minutes), good for 2.67 points per 60 minutes of powerplay time.. third on his own team in that figure for a defenseman with more than 50:00 on the powerplay for the season.

This past year Alex Edler and Yannick Weber both finished with more than 4 points per 60 minutes of powerplay time and Kevin Bieksa finished with 3.24.

So if Del Zotto returns to his peak form (presumably he's been awful on purpose in the two seasons since then so this should be easy) he could be the fourth-most productive option for the point on the powerplay!

Oh except Radim Vrbata commonly plays up at the point on the powerplay, and he scored 5.03 points per 60 minutes on the powerplay last year. But hey we could sign Del Zotto to play on the third powerplay unit!

:laugh:

-----

I'm not the biggest Sbisa fan, but he's a solid enough third-pairing guy who can probably chew up medium-ish minutes on your second pairing for short stints when guys are hurt. And he has the small upside of maybe developing a bit more in his mid/late 20's. I think he wasn't much more than salary in that trade, but he's not an AHLer or anything, and, at any rate, he'll probably be more useful than Ballard was in Vancouver.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm not the biggest Sbisa fan, but he's a solid enough third-pairing guy who can probably chew up medium-ish minutes on your second pairing for short stints when guys are hurt. And he has the small upside of maybe developing a bit more in his mid/late 20's. I think he wasn't much more than salary in that trade, but he's not an AHLer or anything, and, at any rate, he'll probably be more useful than Ballard was in Vancouver.
We didn't have Ryan Stanton (who might be nothing more than a #7 in the end but still has shown he might be able to handle 3rd pairing minutes and supply the "meat & potatoes" that Benning wants) back then either. Already has some chemistry with Bieksa (which can be a feat in itself).

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Ryan Stanton. And he comes at a far cheaper price.

We all know Stanton isn't that guy to play that role. He's a steady bottom rotation that's it. It's an experimental year, try Corrado/Sbisa to see if they fit here long term. Stanton/Weber, you already know what you got. When Stanton fights, he hangs on for his dear life.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
We didn't have Ryan Stanton (who might be nothing more than a #7 in the end but still has shown he might be able to handle 3rd pairing minutes and supply the "meat & potatoes" that Benning wants) back then either. Already has some chemistry with Bieksa (which can be a feat in itself).

Useful in case of injury for sure, but I think playing Bieksa there is under-utilizing him. Bieksa is really underrated around here -- he's probably been the Canucks 2nd best defenseman the last three-ish years, and unquestionably the best RH defenseman on the team. I think he's better than Tanev, personally, and wouldn't be against seeing Bieksa back with Hamhuis so that Tanev can play with Edler.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
We all know Stanton isn't that guy to play that role. He's a steady bottom rotation that's it. It's an experimental year, try Corrado/Sbisa to see if they fit here long term. Stanton/Weber, you already know what you got. When Stanton fights, he hangs on for his dear life.

Because Corrado played so well this past season in the AHL? (he didn't). Why bring him up prematurely to play with a guy who himself is looking to turn his game around? Seems like you're setting up both guys to fail.

Useful in case of injury for sure, but I think playing Bieksa there is under-utilizing him. Bieksa is really underrated around here -- he's probably been the Canucks 2nd best defenseman the last three-ish years, and unquestionably the best RH defenseman on the team. I think he's better than Tanev, personally, and wouldn't be against seeing Bieksa back with Hamhuis so that Tanev can play with Edler.
To be fair, it's hardly like he had alot of competition in that (eg., Garrison having to play the right side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad