The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sbisa has had less chances to show what he's got. Del Zotto has been given every possible opportunity to succeed in the NHL.

317 GP vs. 266 GP.

Sbisa has had a ton of chances also. Guy is a pure cap dump with negative value. Needs a $3 million QO next summer, which is ridiculous.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
317 GP vs. 266 GP.

Sbisa has had a ton of chances also. Guy is a pure cap dump with negative value. Needs a $3 million QO next summer, which is ridiculous.

GP means nothing, when one is getting 20+ minutes vs under 10.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No Canucks DMan scored 40 pts last year........

Garrison was our PP minute leader last year and scored 33 points despite probably only spending a little more than 1/2 the season on the #1 unit. And despite our PP being absolutely atrocious.

You play on the top PP unit consistently, you get points. It doesn't necessarily mean you're good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
GP means nothing, when one is getting 20+ minutes vs under 10.

Sbisa has consistently been a 16-18 minute player over the course of his career. Or more.

His ES/SH TOI isn't far off Del Zotto's. He just hasn't received the 3-4 PP minutes/game that Del Zotto has received over his career.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Garrison was our PP minute leader last year and scored 33 points despite probably only spending a little more than 1/2 the season on the #1 unit. And despite our PP being absolutely atrocious.

You play on the top PP unit consistently, you get points. It doesn't necessarily mean you're good.

You said ANY DMan on pp will get 40 pts.
Nobody on the Canucks did. Only 1 hit 30... So either you're wrong, or every Canucks defenseman wasn't on the #1 PP all year.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Think Del Zotto would make a great signing for any team really but not sure we have the ability to be the right place for him to rebound unless a defenseman gets moved.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You said ANY DMan on pp will get 40 pts.
Nobody on the Canucks did. Only 1 hit 30... So either you're wrong, or every Canucks defenseman wasn't on the #1 PP all year.

OK, it was obviously a generalization.

But no, no Canuck defender was on the #1 unit all year. Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis were all rotated through. Weber as well in stints.

The league is scattered with defenders who had a 'big year' because of the specifics of their PP usage.

John Bender*

317 GP vs. 266 GP.

I agree. It's clear Murray forced Benning to take this player in exchange for the package he was getting. It's low risk though, they give him this season and if he is ****, he's gone.

I prefer to consider the trade as Bonino & a 1st for the lying piece of ****.

John Bender*

OK, it was obviously a generalization.

But no, no Canuck defender was on the #1 unit all year. Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis were all rotated through. Weber as well in stints.

The league is scattered with defenders who had a 'big year' because of the specifics of their PP usage.

The Canucks really need a PP QB type D-man. The players they have now are simply not good enough. If I have to watch Dan Hamhuis shoot the puck into opposition shin pads again all year, I'll scream.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Sbisa has consistently been a 16-18 minute player over the course of his career. Or more.

His ES/SH TOI isn't far off Del Zotto's. He just hasn't received the 3-4 PP minutes/game that Del Zotto has received over his career.

It's actually a lot further apart than it looks on paper. Del Zotto was consistently giving opportunity to succeed with 20+ minutes with the rangers, until recently, when the Rangers gave up on him, and Nashville gave up on him.

Sbisa, has had only 2 "full" seasons, where his minutes has been between 6-22 minutes, all up and down, It wasn't until his 2011/12 season where he finally had a steady role at the end, then it's been all over since, due to injuries.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
The Canucks really need a PP QB type D-man. The players they have now are simply not good enough. If I have to watch Dan Hamhuis shoot the puck into opposition shin pads again all year, I'll scream.

It doesn't matter right now, cause the team sucks anyways. Let some young guys give it a shot and possibly develop into those "core" guys.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It's actually a lot further apart than it looks on paper. Del Zotto was consistently giving opportunity to succeed with 20+ minutes with the rangers, until recently, when the Rangers gave up on him, and Nashville gave up on him.

Sbisa, has had only 2 "full" seasons, where his minutes has been between 6-22 minutes, all up and down, It wasn't until his 2011/12 season where he finally had a steady role at the end, then it's been all over since, due to injuries.

and I want to add to this, because I can't edit.

Sbisa is physical, and can fight. People have been complaining about having not having a tough physical bottom six guy, who can fight, and be physical so the top guys don't have to.

I'm obviously bias cause i really liked what i saw from him in 08, there's def more tools to him, than Del Zotto, but he just needs to be put on a consistent role, and figure things out. Physical defenders take longer to develop. Del Zotto sucks, because he was given opportunity and opportunity to show off his potential, but it never developed. Sbisa, needs that opportunity cause there's another guy named Bieksa, who has been crap his whole career, but has molded into a leadership guy because he has "heart", he's willing, and luckily paired with top notch defensive defenders all year.

Del Zotto on the other hand is slow, weak, the only thing he'd be good for is on the PP, and the team already has a guy like that, in Yannick Weber. Neither will account to anything anyways. Not, with their skillset.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I agree. It's clear Murray forced Benning to take this player in exchange for the package he was getting. It's low risk though, they give him this season and if he is ****, he's gone.

I prefer to consider the trade as Bonino & a 1st for the lying piece of ****.

There it is.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this, but there's that kid, who was suppose to be great here that we drafted in the first round in the 05 draft. I think Sbisa is going to remind a lot of people of him and how he played.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Sbisa is physical, and can fight. People have been complaining about having not having a tough physical bottom six guy, who can fight, and be physical so the top guys don't have to.

I'm obviously bias cause i really liked what i saw from him in 08, there's def more tools to him, than Del Zotto, but he just needs to be put on a consistent role, and figure things out. Physical defenders take longer to develop. Del Zotto sucks, because he was given opportunity and opportunity to show off his potential, but it never developed. Sbisa, needs that opportunity cause there's another guy named Bieksa, who has been crap his whole career, but has molded into a leadership guy because he has "heart", he's willing, and luckily paired with top notch defensive defenders all year.

Del Zotto on the other hand is slow, weak, the only thing he'd be good for is on the PP, and the team already has a guy like that, in Yannick Weber. Neither will account to anything anyways. Not, with their skillset.

On the same salary, I'd agree and take Sbisa over Del Zotto. I think he's a little better asset as well.

However, given a choice between Del Zotto at $800k and Sbisa at $2.2 million with a $2.9 million salary ... it's a no-brainer.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Again, who gives a ****.
Del zotto would be for points , pp or not it's an easy cheap way to get more offense and not finish second last in the NHL.

Comparing him to sbisa is ridiculous. They'd have completely different roles.
We have plenty of capable defensemen who can play PK and be "tough"
We have zero who can add much needed offense del zotto could for under 1mil.

And weber doesn't count. Del zotto is by far better than yannick fuvking weber.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I don't mind giving Del Zotto a chance here. We probably need the depth. Don't want to needlessly rush Corrado up in case of an injury.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Again, who gives a ****.
Del zotto would be for points , pp or not it's an easy cheap way to get more offense and not finish second last in the NHL.

Comparing him to sbisa is ridiculous. They'd have completely different roles.
We have plenty of capable defensemen who can play PK and be "tough"
We have zero who can add much needed offense del zotto could for under 1mil.

And weber doesn't count. Del zotto is by far better than yannick fuvking weber.

So much talk from you, yet there hasn't a single point about why Del Zotto would do good at all. Should anyone even bother to continue?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
However, given a choice between Del Zotto at $800k and Sbisa at $2.2 million with a $2.9 million salary ... it's a no-brainer.

Why does salary cap even matter when the team isn't competitive.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

You're trying to change the perspective into it being about the team sucking. Signing the kid would make us more competitive, which is the whole point.

So much talk from you, yet there hasn't a single point about why Del Zotto would do good at all. Should anyone even bother to continue?

There's every reason to think he'd be able to produce points, since he's already proven just that.

But you'd rather not sign him so an inferior and OLDER weber can "develop"...... Okay then.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
There's every reason to think he'd be able to produce points, since he's already proven just that.

But you'd rather not sign him so an inferior and OLDER weber can "develop"...... Okay then.

Weber and Del Zotto are both crap. I never said anything about having Weber develop. I'm still wondering, why you think Del Zotto is so good, when you can't point a single tool that he has. Why not, give Linden Vey a try at the point on the PP? Try out Corrado maybe?

Del Zotto had 16 points in 67 games, doesn't prove that he is going to put up any points.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We're still attempting to be competitive and spending close to the cap.

Investing $2.2 million in a guy who was a healthy scratch/3rd pairing guy last year and who needs a $3 million QO next summer doesn't make a lot of sense. He's ridiculously overpaid for what he is and what he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad