Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Exsqueeze me, bruh?
giphy.gif

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I just follow the rules. If the sign says do it, I do it...
99.9999% of the people do it. There will always be the attention whores and nut jobs that get off on getting kicked out of places for their youtube channel. If they outlawed masks, there would be people getting thrown out of Cosco the next day for wearing one.

I had the best year of my career in 2020. I also made by far the most money I've ever made in the market dumping everything before the crash and putting every penny I had back in after. That doesn't mean I was for the shut downs that cost people their businesses and destroyed the economy. I followed the rules and killed it. I still feel bad for the people that lost their livelihoods. That's America. We can have different opinions without screaming for a revolution. What we need is a new breed of politicians that are actually worth voting for.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The experts say that even if vaccinated I can still contract the disease and spread it to someone else. So if grandma dies, it's either because she's unvaccinated or the vaccine didn't work on her.

After COVID-19 vaccination: Is it OK to visit with friends and loved ones?
Talked to someone today who was a pharmacist and is now a higher up in Caremark that long term data is starting to show that people who got the 2 Pfizer shots (don't know about Moderna and J&J too new I imagine) are not carriers and thus far with a high degree of certainty. That would be a game changer obviously so I hope the data continues to hold!

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I keep hearing about the destroyed economy while also watching million dollar homes absolutely flying off the shelves to the point there's bidding wars for them. I find it all so confusing. I'm sure people will run with that statement in whatever direction they're predisposed to but honestly, it really is confusing. How can the real estate market and the stock market be absolutely bonkers during this pandemic. I thought it was supposed to crash the economy. I know interest rates are low but that doesn't suddenly take someone from a $500k home to a $900k home!

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I keep hearing about the destroyed economy while also watching million dollar homes absolutely flying off the shelves to the point there's bidding wars for them. I find it all so confusing. I'm sure people will run with that statement in whatever direction they're predisposed to but honestly, it really is confusing. How can the real estate market and the stock market be absolutely bonkers during this pandemic. I thought it was supposed to crash the economy. I know interest rates are low but that doesn't suddenly take someone from a $500k home to a $900k home!
I've heard posited that those who were already better off financially tended to have positions allowing them to work from home, but haven't been able to spend disposable income as easily so have accrued savings which can be put into a new home, while those who make less tended to work in industries that simply shut down so they have struggled to make ends meet. So it's just a more complicated effect that varies by whom you are referring to.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I think that as @Canis Latrans suggested, this recession has been quite different. It was a government-imposed shutdown of specific segments of the economy, which hurt lower-wage workers more than others. Hospitality, entertainment, travel/tourism all heavily impacted. Not all "blue-collar" type work was touched however, retail and manufacturing have done quite well. Many white-collar types of jobs were not affected at all.

Regarding real estate and the markets, it does seem that interest rates have played a big role. More work from home and with the cities shut down drove people to leave their city apartments and buy a house. Supply has not kept up with demand, particularly in hot markets like Phoenix. My home value has increased an estimated 10% in the past year. Not as big as some areas, but if you look at what's for sale nothing stays on the market very long.

Low interest rates have meant stocks appear more attractive than fixed-income investments. That could be changing as long-term yields begin to rise.

It's crazy what some people are paying for NFTs. One guy forked over $208k for a video of Lebron James dunking a basketball, and he doesn't even own exclusive rights to the video!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If you want to boil it down to simple terms, the rich got richer, poor got poorer and the middle class took the biggest ass kicking. Big companies with strong online presences were helped the most because people weren't leaving their homes. Small businesses got hammered. Certainly if your company was able to transition your position to work from home you are fortunate but even a lot of those were downsized. I'm certainly blessed to be working for an industry leader that is also classifies as "essential". Many people weren't so lucky. Hell, look how many people out Coyotes laid off. The effects are far and wide if you look.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Who would have thought, I sure didn't.The stock market is flying because the shut down killed small business's but helped larger ones with big balance sheets. Target/Walmart/Amazon could withstand the downturn and as many small business's went under with their tiny balance sheets, those shoppers went to the bigger stores. The stock market is so heavily weighted in big cap names that are doing well, it is flying.

Low interest rates and spraying free money out of helicopters is helping the real estate market. In the Phoenix area, we are seeing the $1 mill or better homes selling quickly mostly do to buyers leaving democratic draconian states with high taxes: California/Illinois/NY.

I think there will be a bill to pay at some point in the future, we can't keep borrowing our way out of debt. I also think an underlying world wide economy driver is the smart phone which gives anyone global access to information, goods and services.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What a joke! Waste of billions of dollars. Might as well just throw the money down the drain with another “investigation.”

Seeing the value of landing a rover on another planet requires one to see things with a longer-term and broader perspective than "how does this benefit me now?" Even if the benefits of the technological spin-offs are not greater than or equal to the investment in space travel, there is always value in exploration for its own sake.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Seeing the value of landing a rover on another planet requires one to see things with a longer-term and broader perspective than "how does this benefit me now?" Even if the benefits of the technological spin-offs are not greater than or equal to the investment in space travel, there is always value in exploration for its own sake.
When I can use my cell phone across town, I’ll start seeing any value in the ‘space’ exploration discussion.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
When I can use my cell phone across town, I’ll start seeing any value in the ‘space’ exploration discussion.
NASA maintains a website and list of products and technology used on Earth in everyday life that are descendants of what was created for its own missions, so it's obviously of benefit even if you can't see it. I'd be inclined to agree more with you if you were basing your argument on it not being the proper role of government to be funding these types of missions, but instead you seem to just be a Luddite regardless of who is funding the projects.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
NASA maintains a website and list of products and technology used on Earth in everyday life that are descendants of what was created for its own missions, so it's obviously of benefit even if you can't see it. I'd be inclined to agree more with you if you were basing your argument on it not being the proper role of government to be funding these types of missions, but instead you seem to just be a Luddite regardless of who is funding the projects.

The cool thing is, now you can look at companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin, and some space flight/exploration *is* being funded by private industry. Just needed a shove. (I'm from the part of Florida where a lot of the launches take place, and it was kinda odd seeing the area - so conservative that they have a Joe Arpaio clone as a sheriff - blast the federal government under Obama for making cuts to NASA, as the private stuff was starting to ramp up...um, is that not what y'all wanted? lolz)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not a chance I would climb aboard anything with "SpaceX" written on the side.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
nah. It’s spotty. I live in the mountains Tom.

yup. A new member. Very astute!

You should probably realize that it's impractical to have cell towers densely spaced such that service is available everywhere before you complain about it being spotty in the mountains.

Do you live on the Rim?

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
You should probably realize that it's impractical to have cell towers densely spaced such that service is available everywhere before you complain about it being spotty in the mountains.

Do you live on the Rim?
Kinda. NE AZ.
I know they were talking about improving the smaller towns and their cellular. They can keep the 5G crap though. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad