OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I know people are tired of hearing me say it but shitty humans man. Most all of these problems boil down to a relatively small handful of shitty humans who will exploit whatever system is in place. Welfare abusing guy and shady business guy are cut from the same cloth.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Reminds me of the housing crisis in 2008. The banks catch a ton of shit for it and they absolutely deserve it. Consumers did not take enough shit for it
Add a Federal government who mandated subprime mortgage availability...
How The Government Caused The Mortgage Crisis

Then the government doubled -down and instead of buying out consumers debt at the financing level from the lendors, they just made the lendors whole and left the debtors on the hook. The policies advanced in the name of "opportunity" actually just screwed the citizenry and enriched the lendors at the government's (err, tax payers') expense.

A more cynical individual might think the insane amount of lobbying money went into the decision-making process from start to finish...

Everything the government does is sloppy and hamhanded. There are always, always adverse consequences every time you beg it help you. Look at the price of education after federally backed student loan availability. And try not to notice the lobbying for/by Universities...

Reactions: RemoAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reminds me of the housing crisis in 2008. The banks catch a ton of shit for it and they absolutely deserve it. Consumers did not take enough shit for it IMO. Just because the bank is being shady and approving you to buy that $500,000 house on your $60,000 a year salary doesn't mean you should actually do it. I had several disagreements with friends, family, etc. who were buying well beyond their means and don't even get me started on interest only loans or financing your down payment. Shady and predatory banks combined with willfully ignorant consumers created quite the mess.

The problem is the banks did it knowing full well they'd be able to put it all back on the taxpayer because the government has been subsidizing their risk and encouraging bad behavior since the 80s. Banks no longer act like banks and risk ruining the economy in the process. So in the hierarchy of "who is the root cause of all this bullshit?" they're pretty much at the top with all of their influence/lobbying.

Banks shouldn't be out there leveraged to the hilt because they're trading completely unregulated derivatives. That activity should be limited to completely unprotected hedge funds.

Reactions: Grimes and RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The problem is the banks did it knowing full well they'd be able to put it all back on the taxpayer because the government has been subsidizing their risk and encouraging bad behavior since the 80s. Banks no longer act like banks and risk ruining the economy in the process. So in the hierarchy of "who is the root cause of all this bullshit?" they're pretty much at the top with all of their influence/lobbying.

Banks shouldn't be out there leveraged to the hilt because they're trading completely unregulated derivatives. That activity should be limited to completely unprotected hedge funds.
I don't disagree. I also don't think that changes my comments regarding people buying well beyond their means, getting interest only loans, 3 year arms, etc.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Good quote but how does it describe your professional career?

I'm exaggerating somewhat...only 75% of my career. :nod: I work in the DoD (mostly U.S. Army), and many senior service members, commanders, even some DoD civilians do not like to have their authority challenged, and view opinions that differ from theirs as dissent. Many people simply go with the flow, don't rock the boat, etc., but that was never me. If someone said something that I thought was factually or likely wrong, in most cases I would speak up; sometimes I got yelled at. :cry:

Not all senior leaders are that way. I worked with and for Mike Flynn (yeah, that Mike Flynn) on several occasions. Although I didn't always agree with him, I always felt I could tell him whatever was on my mind. He might get fired up, but certainly wouldn't hold it against you. Overall a great officer and leader.

In many academic institutions, it's much worse. Merely the hint of opposition to liberal orthodoxy is grounds for dismissal. There is an interesting podcast called The Heretic that is about an Australian marine geophysicist, Peter Ridd, whose area of expertise is the Great Barrier Reef. His conclusion is that coral bleaching is a natural occurrence and nothing to be alarmed about. The University where he worked terminated him for damaging the school's reputation. Even if Ridd is wrong, any academic institution dedicated to advancing scientific discovery should encourage dissenting opinions because it pushes everyone to look deeper to validate their hypothesis.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Reminds me of the housing crisis in 2008. The banks catch a ton of shit for it and they absolutely deserve it. Consumers did not take enough shit for it IMO. Just because the bank is being shady and approving you to buy that $500,000 house on your $60,000 a year salary doesn't mean you should actually do it. I had several disagreements with friends, family, etc. who were buying well beyond their means and don't even get me started on interest only loans or financing your down payment. Shady and predatory banks combined with willfully ignorant consumers created quite the mess.
People have a brain, they just have to use it. Trying to keep up with the Jone's.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm exaggerating somewhat...only 75% of my career. :nod: I work in the DoD (mostly U.S. Army), and many senior service members, commanders, even some DoD civilians do not like to have their authority challenged, and view opinions that differ from theirs as dissent. Many people simply go with the flow, don't rock the boat, etc., but that was never me. If someone said something that I thought was factually or likely wrong, in most cases I would speak up; sometimes I got yelled at. :cry:

Not all senior leaders are that way. I worked with and for Mike Flynn (yeah, that Mike Flynn) on several occasions. Although I didn't always agree with him, I always felt I could tell him whatever was on my mind. He might get fired up, but certainly wouldn't hold it against you. Overall a great officer and leader.

In many academic institutions, it's much worse. Merely the hint of opposition to liberal orthodoxy is grounds for dismissal. There is an interesting podcast called The Heretic that is about an Australian marine geophysicist, Peter Ridd, whose area of expertise is the Great Barrier Reef. His conclusion is that coral bleaching is a natural occurrence and nothing to be alarmed about. The University where he worked terminated him for damaging the school's reputation. Even if Ridd is wrong, any academic institution dedicated to advancing scientific discovery should encourage dissenting opinions because it pushes everyone to look deeper to validate their hypothesis.
I always kind of hoped your MIG username was in reference to the famous Russian fighter, now I'm feeling there's a chance!

As for anti-intellectualism, it's annoying as hell. The military and academia often seem extremely similar just opposite sides of the coin. It's extra annoying when it appears in academia though since they're supposed to be all about intellectualism. The problem is politics, it creeps in and as always it tries to destroy everything it touches.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dark theme is a sponsors only dealy.
I had it for several months now until I clicked that link. I might have been a sponsor when I added it though. Maybe it just doesn’t go away if your sponsorship ends unless you change another setting? Oh well, I’ll just sponsor again. Usually I am a sponsor.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Honestly, any of the mods please let us know if there are any funding issues. I'd happily donate to discuss hockey and now pandemic and grey-ish political topics anonymously with a bunch of posters I truly respect (that includes you Jakey!)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well I pulled a roomate no no. I got drunk and left the gas running. Don't drink and cook!
I've never had a gas stove so I don't know much about them but it amazes me there's nothing in place to detect when the gas is left on and turning it off automatically as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad