OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They resigned from the unit, not law enforcement. Can’t blame them! Nice hit piece.

Yes. They resigned from the (apparently) volunteer beat-em-up squad because oversight had the audacity to suspend two officers who unnecessarily hospitalized someone who is in serious condition.

They should all be fired. It's "protect and serve" not "protect and serve only those I agree with or like"

Reactions: MIG

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Yes. They resigned from the (apparently) volunteer beat-em-up squad because oversight had the audacity to suspend two officers who unnecessarily hospitalized someone who is in serious condition.

They should all be fired. It's "protect and serve" not "protect and serve only those I agree with or like"
Ummm...okay.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe we should pay cops more? Would that help grow the available pool of candidates?

I think you need actual accountability first. It doesn't make any sense to start with pay raises. Good people coming in would just fall into the same trap.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What is abuse? Why are those consistently suffering abuse at the hands of the police? Is abuse when cops have to take down a husband during domestic violence? What happens when a cop is shot and killed at a domestic violence call? We don't have riots when that happens. You are talking through your know what. Like Doaner said, take a ride along and you will see how dangerous and violent it is. You better wear your depends because you will need them. I think this will take a turn for the better after a generation of respecting the police.
No, you are talking through your you know what. My daughter dated a young black man. He was surveilled in ways you and I would never be, sometimes to the point of verbal comments Akin to “boy” from police officers, once that was literally the comment. This kid was an extremely clean cut 6’7” basketball player in college. Perhaps the officers were insecure that a beautiful fair skinned white girl was with him, but does that make it okay, in some perverse way? Is that a way in which anyone should have to live?
I had cops in the family in my youth and have cop friends now. I know the situation, I also know there are way too many crappy cops and a good ol’ boy network that protects them.
I think you need to shut your pie hole until the time comes wherein which ignorance doesn’t spew from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: che and Sinurgy

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Need to figure out how to "not hire them" in the first place...there has got to be some characteristics that would come up on some sort of psych test that would reveal that Chauvin was a bad apple. I'm certain that 99.9% of the time they are douchebags before they even put on the uniform.
This has always puzzled me, as the hiring practices are typically stringent.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Excessive force is what we are talking about, which is using more force than necessary to get the job done. What's excessive is open to interpretation, which is why we need better trained cops, more cameras, and independent investigation of complaints to root out the Chauvins.
No it’s not. Abuse starts long before excessive force. It creates animosity that can lead to situations in which excessive force comes into play - sin begets sin.

Reactions: Grimes

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
This is very surprising to me. What the heck is going on in the Valley of the Sun?

Avg annual police killings per 1 million population 2013-19

upload_2020-6-5_19-16-11.png

These 4 charts describe police violence in America

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I have said it more than once, and I will repeat it again. There are a--holes in every walk of life in every profession, and Chauvin is one of those, but 99.9999% of the cops out there are good and protect YOU and I.
And the other three cops that viewed this eight minute blood choke homicide? Maybe they were also in that .0001 asshole group.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maybe we should pay cops more? Would that help grow the available pool of candidates?

I've always thought cops should make a lot more and it should be a hell of a lot harder to get the job. Ever find out someone you went to high school with was a cop and think, how the hell is that guy qualified to be a police officer? I wonder how some of them are able to fulfill the revenue collector duties they mainly perform. Then you have a guy like the military veteran police officer that put out the video condemning arresting people cutting hair and doing other things to make a living when stuff was shut down. That guy is the intelligent, brave hero we want in the position and he gets suspended for using his own judgement and common sense. Then you realize why the standards and pay are so low. Like everything else, it has to start at the top. First, they have to actually want a more intelligent, better trained police officer. The people that control the country want sheep at all levels beneath them.

Reactions: Grimes and _Del_

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
If Goodell is implying that nealing during the national anthem is now condoned, it will end badly for the NFL. They say it's not about respect for the flag, but why then neal during the national anthem? There are plenty of other opportunities to neal. For example: during the coin toss, the first kickoff, 4th and goal, half time, post-game interviews. Lots of opportunities to neal that won't piss off half of your fan base.

His statement is stupid.."we, the NFL believe black lives matter." Was that ever in doubt?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'm not going to be surprised if we hear that the NFL and its players are having a conversation to move on from the national anthem.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'm not going to be surprised if we hear that the NFL and its players are having a conversation to move on from the national anthem.

Right. It could be they play the NA, and then the players come onto the field, and then there is a moment of silence for the social issue of the day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What a stupid post. Why don't you volunteer to "protect and serve"? I'm sure you would enjoy it. Contact Doaner, I'm sure he will be able to set you up the an "experience of a lifetime" for you. Make sure you exercise before you go so you can dodge those rocks, sticks and whatever the public can get their hands on. Maybe you should up your life insurance before you go.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
What a stupid post. Why don't you volunteer to "protect and serve"? I'm sure you would enjoy it. Contact Doaner, I'm sure he will be able to set you up the an "experience of a lifetime" for you. Make sure you exercise before you go so you can dodge those rocks, sticks and whatever the public can get their hands on. Maybe you should up your life insurance before you go.

It's not easy being a cop, but as I said in a previous post they need to use the necessary force to get the job done, but nothing more. In the case of the Buffalo cops pushing the elderly gentleman so hard that he sustained a head injury, the appropriate response, if he was disobeying lawful police instructions to clear the street, would have been to turn him around, place him in handcuffs, and maybe or maybe not charge him with a crime.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Have you ever done a ride along?

Yes.

Because this is the Internet and social media, a lot of nuance is getting lost, so this conversation isn't going to have a satisfactory resolution. But here's the problem as I see it:

Like all humans, police officers are more sane in fewer numbers. Get a group together, and they start to suffer from "group judgment" issues if there isn't a clear command structure. The same thing happens in any unstructured group - the tendency towards mob thinking increases the larger the gathering without an overseeing authority. So, hypergeneralizing, when you get a group of fifty line cops together with riot gear going into a situation where the threat is nebulous, you're going to get people who forget their training and/or self-restraint and they're going to do bad things. That's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

And yes, there ARE white nationalist pockets in police forces, just like there are in the military. And just like in the military, in some instances people with those views are the ones in charge. And yes, there are many cops (like military) who let the empowerment they feel by being licensed to carry firearms and employ force legally take them to a dark place.

So what we have is about a 75% to 80% population of cops who are what we would call "good" cops, thrown together in big groups with the other precentage, facing an undefined threat population of protesters who may be infiltrated by people with a vested interest in escalating and turning protests violent. The erosion of proper discipline in a group setting and a command dictum of force projection results in some officers going off the reservation in their crowd response, and in the moment many of the "good" cops either lose their heads or simply stand back and do nothing when their peers lose the picture.

Now, layer a martyr complex on top of this crap cake, and you have the situation we're in now.

I have a healthy respect for the military and the police because I have family members and friends in both. But I'm not going to absolve them totally of malfeasance when malfeasance is committed. If you're going to enjoy the pride of wearing a uniform and a lofty, egalitarian worldview of "the protector," then you also need to have the moral strength to acknowledge when those ideas are trampled by bad actors in the ranks and have the courage to turn that admission into redemptive action - even if it violates the code of "the brotherhood."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, you are talking through your you know what. My daughter dated a young black man. He was surveilled in ways you and I would never be, sometimes to the point of verbal comments Akin to “boy” from police officers, once that was literally the comment. This kid was an extremely clean cut 6’7” basketball player in college. Perhaps the officers were insecure that a beautiful fair skinned white girl was with him, but does that make it okay, in some perverse way? Is that a way in which anyone should have to live?
I had cops in the family in my youth and have cop friends now. I know the situation, I also know there are way too many crappy cops and a good ol’ boy network that protects them.
I think you need to shut your pie hole until the time comes wherein which ignorance doesn’t spew from it.
I had a black family as neighbors in Edmonton for about ten years with a young family and while I never asked them, they never complained about the law enforcement. I now have a black family as neighbors and I don't talk to them much, but yesterday he was in front yard and we got talking about all this and what is going on, and I asked him if he ever had a problem with the law enforcement and he said never. He said the only time he was harassed was in school and said it was "all in good fun". We all know there are bad cops, just as there are bad doctors, bad lawyers and the list goes on. The way Floyd died was horrible, but let's not forget he was no knight in shinning armor as he has had numerous stints in jail and was a well know criminal who was high on drugs, had drugs on him at the time of his arrest. There was a black cop, David Doran, was killed by protesters protecting a store from looters. Why don't we talk about him? Is it because he doesn't fit your narrative as a crappy cop and good ol' boy network. I think we know who should shut their pie hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad