OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XV - Loop 202 IS OPEN!!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
One area that hasn't been worked out is morality. For example, what size/type of animal should the autonomous vehicle try to avoid and what size/type should it splat?
I'm sure there will be a hierarchy with humans at the very top and insects at the very bottom. In general though I'd imagine they would attempt to avoid hitting any creature except for insects provided it's not putting any human or first class animals (i.e. dog or cat) in danger.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hey guys, do any of you have an autistic kid? My son was just diagnosed as at risk for it and my wife and I are devastated.

I have an autistic nephew. It was tough at the beginning, but with a combination of some extremely awesome therapists and support groups, he's now at the point where he has his own job and has gone from totally noncommunicative to speaking and communicating easily.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hey guys, do any of you have an autistic kid? My son was just diagnosed as at risk for it and my wife and I are devastated.
I don't but my work brings me in contact with a lot of autistic and developmentally discongruent children. Here is a resource for you:
Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center (SARRC)
This is for SARRC, Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center. Terrific people. Excellent source of information, resources and the like. Hang in there. People have walked your path before you and are there to help you.
edit: My nephew and his friend stopped at my house yesterday over nighting on their way to LA. from back East. The friend has autism. He is working on his PhD in botany. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Mayo Taco Monday

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't but my work brings me in contact with a lot of autistic and developmentally discongruent children. Here is a resource for you:
Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center (SARRC)
This is for SARRC, Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center. Terrific people. Excellent source of information, resources and the like. Hang in there. People have walked your path before you and are there to help you.
Thanks, SARRC is on my contact list. I feel so helpless.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Thanks, SARRC is on my contact list. I feel so helpless.
You're not helpless, neither is your child. First, "at risk" for autism can be like "at risk" for diabetes. If you can nail down his diagnosis so much the better. Therapy works miracles in developmentally at risk children. Miracles.
Work the problem. Get your kid the help he needs and monitor his progress. Be an active part of his treatment plan. You aren't helpless.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You're not helpless, neither is your child. First, "at risk" for autism can be like "at risk" for diabetes. If you can nail down his diagnosis so much the better. Therapy works miracles in developmentally at risk children. Miracles.
Work the problem. Get your kid the help he needs and monitor his progress. Be an active part of his treatment plan. You aren't helpless.

I can wholeheartedly second this. The diagnosis for my nephew when he was not talking or communicating as a child was that he was likely to stay that way, and that my brother and sister-in-law would be essentially babying him his whole life.

A couple of weeks ago, he took a day off from his job to fly down on his own to see a Diamondbacks game with my parents. He's a huge Yankees fan, but he spent part of the night commiserating with my mom about Paul Goldschmidt being traded - he felt that the Diamondbacks could still succeed, but that they'd miss his production.

You. Just. Never. Know.

And believe me, there will always be people to help you. The people I've met who are committed to working with autistic children and teens are some of the best I've ever met. If your kid turns out to be autistic, it will be a challenge, but you don't have to go through it alone.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Thanks guys. My son was analyzed by the Melmed center yesterday and Arizona Speech Therapy today. He does qualify for free therapy from Arizona (yay!) today I am contacting SARRC. Hopefully we can get some help from them too.

Nice to see you back old friend! (rabbit3119 just in case you don't remember)

Sorry for the trials and tribulations but happy to hear things are going well!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Thanks guys. My son was analyzed by the Melmed center yesterday and Arizona Speech Therapy today. He does qualify for free therapy from Arizona (yay!) today I am contacting SARRC. Hopefully we can get some help from them too.
I first met Raun when he was a 1 man show. Excellent doc.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
never give up.
There are worse things than autism that your kid could have on the mental health side.
Autism may be hard at first but you can treat it really good.
Other mental health problems not so much.
So never give up :D

Mayo Taco Monday

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, you guys are a great help. Now if I could provide my wife with some peace of mind. She is stuck in a cycle of despair. She views everything that our son does as a sign of his possible autism getting worse. She is very hard to calm down.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hey boys!

My men’s league hockey team needs a goalie to sub for us tonight in Chandler. If anyone here is a decent goalie, and is willing to play in exchange for beer, send me a DM! We’re a B-Level team.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Brava!! to the Women's World Cup team! into the finals on Sunday!

Soccer is still incredibly boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad