OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XV - Loop 202 IS OPEN!!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I guess they're at least supporting the Coyotes by paying for that plate but otherwise that's disgusting.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
There’s another plate out there that’s got a pro-LA Kings message on it.

I'll let the Sharks plate slide, but let ME see that Kings' plate!!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Edenjung

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Thirteen years ago I moved to Phoenix and said I'll get an authentic jersey when I know they are staying. The second I drop money on one they'll get moved.
For the last few years I said I'll get the license plate when they get an arena. I may never own a jersey or the plate.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017

i suggest getting something. they can really help you out if something happens.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A couple of days ago, a coworker asked why my family and I don't use Uber/Lyft. I said, "Because I'm old and I don't trust the gig economy enough to entrust my safety to some random person with a car and an app."

I realized how decrepit this made me sound the moment I said it, but I'm sticking with it.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Always always always ask the Lyft or Uber driver who they are picking up when you open the door in addition to matching the make/model and plate number.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
A couple of days ago, a coworker asked why my family and I don't use Uber/Lyft. I said, "Because I'm old and I don't trust the gig economy enough to entrust my safety to some random person with a car and an app."

I realized how decrepit this made me sound the moment I said it, but I'm sticking with it.

I have never used them just because it's seems weird to me for some random person to show up to give me a ride. Then again, when I went on vacation for a couple weeks in December I decided not to leave my truck at the airport and called a cab. They never showed up and I left my truck at the airport. Maybe the random dude would have been better after all.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I never had anything but poor experiences in my life taking taxis, and in part due to this never took Uber or Lyft....until 18 months ago when I gave it a try....

It's actually not bad. I've probably done it 25-30 times by now, the drivers have been almost universally friendly, and unlike cabs most of them actually seem to care about customer service ("there's a bottle of water if you want it", "temperature okay?", "where are you flying in from?"), versus "you call that a tip?","I wasted my time in this taxi line to give you a 2 mile ride?", "hold on a sec I need to check under the hood (at 3am near the Durango curve on I-17. True story)".

Plus, if you can wait on technology, I live in the Waymo test zone. Not quite there yet, but it's close, and it would seem extremely unlikely that an operator would hijack one and take it on a joyride...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have never used them just because it's seems weird to me for some random person to show up to give me a ride
As opposed to a very specific taxi driver? :dunno:

A "random" Uber or Lyft driver has all their information blasted through the app. You can see who they are, what they're driving, etc., Uber definitely knows who they are and your location is tracked and recorded for the entirety of the trip. I'd argue it's far safer than an old school taxi! I mean sure it doesn't stop a psycho from being psycho but nothing really prevents that scenario short of never leaving your house like some sort of Nervous Nelly.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Plus, if you can wait on technology, I live in the Waymo test zone. Not quite there yet, but it's close,
I think we're still 5+ years away from anything even close to an autonomous taxi. Heck maybe even closer to 10 years. I expect the first roll out to be on rails, that is they'll only go on very specific routes because the car is not fully autonomous. Instead it'll be using pre-built maps uploaded into the vehicle as opposed to the car making all decisions in real time. E.g. it'll know where the stop light is located by location because someone added that information to the map, not because it analyzed it's surroundings and figured out there's a stop light there.

Reactions: MIG

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Instead it'll be using pre-built maps uploaded into the vehicle as opposed to the car making all decisions in real time. E.g. it'll know where the stop light is located by location because someone added that information to the map, not because it analyzed it's surroundings and figured out there's a stop light there.

Based on my own observations from sitting in one (and being in IT for 30 years), I'm betting this is the case now. Similar to how Google maps puts 'streets' down the aisles of large parking lots. Watching it wander around in front of the Harkins was interesting before it finally gave up (this was a while back), also a construction zone threw it a little. Also based on those observations, there's very, very minimal input from the operator. It's not perfect, but it's still impressive. (and you don't have to tip :laugh: )

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
One area that hasn't been worked out is morality. For example, what size/type of animal should the autonomous vehicle try to avoid and what size/type should it splat?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
One area that hasn't been worked out is morality. For example, what size/type of animal should the autonomous vehicle try to avoid and what size/type should it splat?
Seriously? Avoid mammalian shapes. Bird shapes. Image recognition is already at this point.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Seriously? Avoid mammalian shapes. Bird shapes. Image recognition is already at this point.

I'm not talking about technology to ID, but the system must be programmed to avoid certain shapes and not others.

For example:
Moose = avoid
Cockroach = squoosh (I don't want the car braking for every insect)

But what about say a tiny mouse? Some drivers would intentionally crush the rodent, while others would be quite upset if the little bugger met his maker.

Who makes these decisions?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Based on my own observations from sitting in one (and being in IT for 30 years), I'm betting this is the case now. Similar to how Google maps puts 'streets' down the aisles of large parking lots. Watching it wander around in front of the Harkins was interesting before it finally gave up (this was a while back), also a construction zone threw it a little. Also based on those observations, there's very, very minimal input from the operator. It's not perfect, but it's still impressive. (and you don't have to tip :laugh: )
I think that's where it's at as well but I meant the first rollout of a car without a human at the helm. Right now the cars seem to be decent at getting from almost point A to almost point B but they struggle mightily with the so called "last mile". I haven't been in a Waymo one but I've been in the Uber one and a human would get you out of the neighborhood and onto Scottsdale Rd (i.e. the road they've extensively mapped out), then let the car take over until it came time to leave Scottsdale Rd at which point the human driver would take over again. I know they're working on the last mile but it's got a long ways to go and that's WITH a human in the car much less getting to the point of a car with no driver. So yeah...while the tech is extremely impressive, I think we're still a long way from human-less self-driving cars and a reaaaally long way from fully autonomous cars (car that's not "on rails" so to speak).

Reactions: MIG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad