The Antoine Roussel thread

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Roussel before his serious knee injury was having a fantastic first season with the Canucks and was worth his contract. Usage wise he was Horvat's best partner at the time. His "counting stats" weren't anything impressive but his underlying stats left little to criticize. He doesn't turn 32 until November.

The Canucks overpaid to get him here but before he went down with a knee injury it was looking like a really good signing. Of course in today's environment, $3M for a projected 3rd line winger isn't a great way to spend your cap dollars.

Seriously. You can't blame Benning for injuries sustained by a grinder signed long-term into his 30s! It's just a flukey thing that happened to Roussel. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland and Sutter. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland and Sutter and Dorsett. The point is, Jim Benning is a master scout who just can't outrun karma.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Roussel before his serious knee injury was having a fantastic first season with the Canucks and was worth his contract. Usage wise he was Horvat's best partner at the time. His "counting stats" weren't anything impressive but his underlying stats left little to criticize. He doesn't turn 32 until November.

The Canucks overpaid to get him here but before he went down with a knee injury it was looking like a really good signing. Of course in today's environment, $3M for a projected 3rd line winger isn't a great way to spend your cap dollars.

I agree that his first year pre-injury was fine value. But bottom six players at his age generally decline (whether injury related or not) so the term and cap hit was unquestionably stupid at the time because it was likely that Roussel’s play would deteriorate throughout his contract (which it did) given his age and skill set. The flat cap isnt overly relevant since the contract was on its face a bad contract at the time of signing. None of this is hindsight and was well documented at the time.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Seriously. You can't blame Benning for injuries sustained by a grinder signed long-term into his 30s! It's just a flukey thing that happened to Roussel. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland and Sutter. Well, okay Roussel and Ferland and Sutter and Dorsett. The point is, Jim Benning is a master scout who just can't outrun karma.

Yes, who would have thought a bottom six grinder’s play would deteriorate in that player’s 30s. Chance in a million really.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

And if Benning had signed him to a 1-2 year deal, great!

But when you sign a smallish energy player to a 4-year contract running deep into his 30s and he suffers an injury limiting his effectiveness at some point, that's incredibly predictable. As it was for Dorsett, but they learned nothing there.

Same thing for the 3rd year on Baertschi. Or the last couple years on Sutter.

Injuries happen, but when you give depth players overly long contracts and those injuries happen, you get screwed. And it isn't 'bad luck' when that happens, it's bad planning. If Roussel/Baertschi/Sutter were on appropriate deals, their contracts would have been expiring right at the time the injuries mounted up and their careers went in the toilet.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree that his first year pre-injury was fine value. But bottom six players at his age generally decline (whether injury related or not) so the term and cap hit was unquestionably stupid at the time because it was likely that Roussel’s play would deteriorate throughout his contract (which it did) given his age and skill set. The flat cap isnt overly relevant since the contract was on its face a bad contract at the time of signing. None of this is hindsight and was well documented at the time.

And if Benning had signed him to a 1-2 year deal, great!

But when you sign a smallish energy player to a 4-year contract running deep into his 30s and he suffers an injury limiting his effectiveness at some point, that's incredibly predictable. As it was for Dorsett, but they learned nothing there.

Same thing for the 3rd year on Baertschi. Or the last couple years on Sutter.

Injuries happen, but when you give depth players overly long contracts and those injuries happen, you get screwed. And it isn't 'bad luck' when that happens, it's bad planning. If Roussel/Baertschi/Sutter were on appropriate deals, their contracts would have been expiring right at the time the injuries mounted up and their careers went in the toilet.

I get that and one can even make a case not to essentially sign anyone past the age of 30, especially forwards.

I don't think the comparison to Dorsett is a fair one though. Roussell was historically a much better player who often played higher in the lineup and his contract also ends a year earlier (age wise).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

He was buoyed entirely by 2nd line ice time with Horvat.

15GF 5GA with Horvat
15GF 26GA without.

Reactions: geebaan

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

15GF 5GA with Horvat
15GF 26GA without.

I was actually trying to remember Roussel's fantastic first year and then realized he scored half as many goals in that year as Virtanen did last year; I guess it remains a matter of context.

2018-19Vancouver CanucksNHL 65922315118|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: I am toxic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

15GF 5GA with Horvat
15GF 26GA without.

True, but to his credit he also did mesh well with Horvat that year and played good hockey in that role - surprisingly - and does deserve credit for that. Tanner Pearson ain't getting goal differentials like that with Horvat right now.

Reactions: geebaan

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He's lost a step and gets penalized every time someone falls down around him which players know and use to full advantage.

I actually like Roussel and find the white hot hatred for him here curious but this statement is right on the money. I like to say he gets 2 minutes for being Antoine Roussel almost every game. Annoying as hell but we need a guy like him in our lineup. Still plays a solid defensive game from where I sit and has sneaky offence. Admittedly he is close to being done...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
One twice as much as the other but which one is paid more to suck.
Virtanen’s fluke season is comparable to Antoine’s.

They’re both bad value. Neither should be in the lineup.

Roussel is a smarter player. Let that sink in.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

15GF 5GA with Horvat
15GF 26GA without.

And who was Horvat's best winger at the time? Roussel. This article has quick summary. Horvat's points per 60 with Roussel was better than with anyone else by a good margin (at the time of the article).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
And who was Horvat's best winger at the time? Roussel. This article has quick summary. Horvat's points per 60 with Roussel was better than with anyone else by a good margin (at the time of the article).
Yeah there was a nice hot streak there. Was never sustainable. A sign of a flawed team is Roussel in the top 6.

Granlund scored 18 once.

Roussel’s deal was terrible. Players of his ilk and style rarely age well and lose hunger once on big contracts.

He’s embarrassing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He was signed to a 4 year contract that carried him to age 32. It's kind of weird that the same posters who criticize Benning for letting a 30 year old Brad Richardson go to Arizona on a 3 year contract would say it's stupid to sign a 28 year old Roussel to a 4 year contract (by the end of their first year Richardson was 31 and Roussel was 29).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah there was a nice hot streak there. Was never sustainable. A sign of a flawed team is Roussel in the top 6.

Actually Roussel's underlying numbers were similar to what he was able to put up in Dallas.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
except for his periodic badly timed shenanigans, i think roussel is ok as a bottom 6 grinder. i'd like more but cannot say he's terrible and normally he's not on my radar. he's overpaid without question but he's an nhl quality player and some of the premium we pay is for the agitator stuff which he does deliver most games, he has a few notable missteps which seem to be par for the course for guys like that.

and in his defence, being an agitator is hard when the team does not appear to have a coherent goal of winning hockey games to guide your behaviour. it seems pointless.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I think a good case could be made that if Roussel was just waived or retired and there were no other additions or subtractions other than this, the team would be better.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I liked him before the injury, he’s lost a step now and it’s hurt his forechecking ability and overall effectiveness big time.

Maybe if he was rotated in and out of the lineup, we’d see some more juice in his legs.

Reactions: vanuck and David71

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I actually like Roussel and find the white hot hatred for him here curious but this statement is right on the money. I like to say he gets 2 minutes for being Antoine Roussel almost every game. Annoying as hell but we need a guy like him in our lineup. Still plays a solid defensive game from where I sit and has sneaky offence. Admittedly he is close to being done...
Yep this market is toxic for anything related to JB that doesn't outplay expectations.

He's a guy that typically drags the team into the fight and that is an important element to have unfortunately he's lost a step and as you say he's maligned by the officials. 1st year was a great pick up. Since the ACL not so much.

4yrs for an almost 29yr old in his role was a bad gamble

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I liked him before the injury, he’s lost a step now and it’s hurt his forechecking ability and overall effectiveness big time.

Maybe if he was rotated in and out of the lineup, we’d see some more juice in his legs.

You never know with knee injuries. Look at how Leivo is doing. He's not the same player.

Reactions: NoRaise4Brackett

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yep this market is toxic for anything related to JB that doesn't outplay expectations.

He's a guy that typically drags the team into the fight and that is an important element to have unfortunately he's lost a step and as you say he's maligned by the officials. 1st year was a great pick up. Since the ACL not so much.

4yrs for an almost 29yr old in his role was a bad gamble
He played more than well for us up to his injury. Don’t recall injuries being that much if any of any issue in regards to him unlike Ferland. Much like David Booth was playing as your typical 2nd line winger before that Avs player gave him a knee-to-knee hit.

I give Benning a complete pass on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1