The Antoine Roussel thread

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
One of the most useless pests in all of hockey. I picture Roussel saying the cringiest things in scrums where his teammates often have no interest in defending him. And most of the time it's just a bad penalty where the other team ends up laughing.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Greener just needs to bear down and give it 110% for a full 60 minutes.

His mental lapses are killing the MoJo of the team.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Since Roussel got here in 18-19, there are only 2 forwards in the NHL who have a worse penalty differential (penalties drawn vs. taken), Evander Kane and Nick Ritchie...Roussel has a -31 differential (Edler is the worst on the team at -42)...Elias Pettersson leads the league in differential since 18-19 at a +57 differential.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I don't remember Reaves ragdolling him. I do remember bock bock bock baaawk! and I remember Roussel wanting to slow dance with Reavo. Looked for video and couldn't find any. Do you have anything? (Not saying you're wrong, I purely don't remember)
Actually I think you are right, ragdolling is not the right term. He tried to start a bunch of stuff but ended up being all talk. Pretty sure he wants nothing to do with Reaves thus the chicken call on him. I was quite embarrassed for him that series. I think if anything, Roussel made Reaves relevant in that series, whereas had we left him alone and just skate circles around him, Reaves would've been a liability.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Actually I think you are right, ragdolling is not the right term. He tried to start a bunch of stuff but ended up being all talk. Pretty sure he wants nothing to do with Reaves thus the chicken call on him. I was quite embarrassed for him that series. I think if anything, Roussel made Reaves relevant in that series, whereas had we left him alone and just skate circles around him, Reaves would've been a liability.

I actually hate that kind of talk. It's like the other team has a bear and you blame the guy who woke up the bear. When Ferland smashed us in our last playoff series against the Flames who do you blame? Bieksa? Whenever we lose a playoff series it's almost always about how the Canucks have no answer for the other team's speed and size.

Roussel had a bad series and it has little to do with him "waking up" Reaves. At the end of the day the job of an agitator is to draw penalties and get his opponent off his game. He didn't accomplish that and ended up getting penalized. When it works it has value. When it doesn't, you have fans saying he's embarrassed for him. We heard the same things with Burrows and Cooke before him.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I actually hate that kind of talk. It's like the other team has a bear and you blame the guy who woke up the bear. When Ferland smashed us in our last playoff series against the Flames who do you blame? Bieksa? Whenever we lose a playoff series it's almost always about how the Canucks have no answer for the other team's speed and size.

Roussel had a bad series and it has little to do with him "waking up" Reaves. At the end of the day the job of an agitator is to draw penalties and get his opponent off his game. He didn't accomplish that and ended up getting penalized. When it works it has value. When it doesn't, you have fans saying he's embarrassed for him. We heard the same things with Burrows and Cooke before him.
I don't think any Canucks was to blame for the Flames series. Ferland was allowed to charge our D without penalty, and it worked since our D was too slow to move the puck. It wasn't a case of somebody "woke up the bear."
Agitators has to walk a fine line. If you do your job right, it throws the other team off their game and they take penalties trying to go after you. If you don't do it right, the momentum goes the other way. Reaves was pretty invisible the rest of the playoff, and is generally a fairly average 4th liner. However against us, he had a fairly big impact. Just my opinion but had AR not chirp every Knights then runs away when Reaves skates by, I really doubt we'll notice Reaves much at all.
Like you said, when his antics work, it definitely has value. The problem is his antics hasn't work for a long time now, and it is just a distraction out there. To me it is similar to the situation in Calgary with Tkachuk being an idiot out there but it doesn't really help the team wins.
I was never embarrassed for Burrows. I was for Cooke but only because he is such a dirty player, I don't like the way he goes out and try to severely hurt others with dirty plays.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think any Canucks was to blame for the Flames series. Ferland was allowed to charge our D without penalty, and it worked since our D was too slow to move the puck. It wasn't a case of somebody "woke up the bear."

FWIW - if I'm not mistaken - the coaching staff later commented that they were actively chasing the matchup that was getting killed by Ferland, because they saw these guys getting hemmed in due to being slow to move the puck, and decided that they needed to keep matching those guys against Ferland because their less tough (but also better puck-moving guys) wouldn't be able to stand up to the abuse. That's who should be taking the blame.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Is he the fakest tough guy in the league? Who would be his main competitors?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad