The Antoine Roussel thread

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I've never seen an 'energy player' who is so completely invisible when the clock is running. Just such a limp noodle out there now.

He's OK enough defensively that he isn't actively hurting you, but is basically just this black hole of nothing much like Loui Eriksson.

_________

In fairness, in this compressed season (and in every season, honestly) there should be a plan in place to limit your bottom-6 energy players to 40-45 games so they can stay energized and have maximum impact. And have the thread of guys coming in and outplaying them as a motivating factor. And we get a look at other players. Instead a 32 y/o Roussel plays every night and looks totally gassed. Not really surprising.
Yes Roussel has such a limited skillset that after putting some more miles on the treads and a knee surgery he's become completely ineffective. In Dallas his speed and tenacity allowed him to move up and down the lineup to provide someone who could create turnovers. His passing was always pretty underrated but even that is gone after the 1st year here.

He's lost a step and gets penalized every time someone falls down around him which players know and use to full advantage.

Just another in the growing list of underachievers on the team this year. He's become a liability above the 4th line and if it continues i would consider buying him out for the 1.3 in cap space for next year.

Reactions: Dab

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yes Roussel has such a limited skillset that after putting some more miles on the treads and a knee surgery he's become completely ineffective. In Dallas his speed and tenacity allowed him to move up and down the lineup to provide someone who could create turnovers. His passing was always pretty underrated but even that is gone after the 1st year here.

He's lost a step and gets penalized every time someone falls down around him which players know and use to full advantage.

Just another in the growing list of underachievers on the team this year. He's become a liability above the 4th line and if it continues i would consider buying him out for the 1.3 in cap space for next year.
Burying him creates a little less space (1.025m) but doesn’t carry any money forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Age 30+ bottom-6 energy guys basically aren't a thing, which is why giving him 4 years was so ridiculous.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Burying him creates a little less space (1.025m) but doesn’t carry any money forward.
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
vancouver_canucks.svg
VAN)
2021-22$1,900,000$3,000,000$0$633,333$633,333$1,266,667$1,733,333
2022-23$0$0$0$633,333$633,333-$633,333$633,333
TOTAL$1,900,000$3,000,000$0$1,266,667$1,266,667$633,333$2,366,666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
vancouver_canucks.svg
VAN)
2021-22$1,900,000$3,000,000$0$633,333$633,333$1,266,667$1,733,333
2022-23$0$0$0$633,333$633,333-$633,333$633,333
TOTAL$1,900,000$3,000,000$0$1,266,667$1,266,667$633,333$2,366,666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Why do we want $633k the following season?

Burying him provides less than $200k difference between a buyout next year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why do we want $633k the following season?

Burying him provides less than $200k difference between a buyout next year.
because the next season is less tight and 1.3 could help us net a good quality 3C
22/23 off the books...
Eriksson Luongo Beagle Roussel = 15 million

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
because the next season is less tight and 1.3 could help us net a good quality 3C
22/23 off the books...
Eriksson Luongo Beagle Roussel = 15 million
Are you disagreeing with me just for the sake of it?

burying him saves $1.1m. You’d rather have a $633k hit the following year for $200k savings next ? 1.1m can toward a 3C as well.

weird.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Are you disagreeing with me just for the sake of it?

burying him saves $1.1m. You’d rather have a $633k hit the following year for $200k savings next ? 1.1m can toward a 3C as well.

weird.
Getting bogged down in semantics here.

All i'm saying is if they needed the cap space (because it's going to be tight next year unless Loui graciously steps away) it may be a good idea to buy him out.

And if your unhappy with his play. You save ownership paying him an extra 700k.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Roussel's knee injury was unfortunate. He was actually very effective in his first year with Vancouver, particularly next to Horvat.

Unfortunately, since the injury, he's been essentially replacement level.

Just another lesson in the "don't be Jim Benning" playbook. Signing ageing, mid-level vets to expensive contracts is almost never a smart idea.

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Roussel's knee injury was unfortunate. He was actually very effective in his first year with Vancouver, particularly next to Horvat.

Unfortunately, since the injury, he's been essentially replacement level.

Just another lesson in the "don't be Jim Benning" playbook. Signing ageing, mid-level vets to expensive contracts is almost never a smart idea.
Played above the level what he was paid (imho) that year.

Reactions: bh53 and bossram

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Roussel was hot with Horvat in that first season and poor when away from him.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I think he may have reached the stage in his career where he is actually better at selling cars than playing hockey.

Reactions: Pip

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think he may have reached the stage in his career where he is actually better at selling cars than playing hockey.
Have you heard those car commercials? He's bad on the ice, but not 'that bad'. He'd be unwise to quit his day job.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes a player survives in the lineup against all odds and logic....because the coach just likes him. So it was with Jayson Megna and Willie Desjardins.

So you can imagine my shock when I tuned in the recent Vegas--Avalanche game, and there were the guys in booth announcing the same Jayson Megna playing wing on a stacked team like the Av's. So maybe Willie knew something.

But for what Roussel is producing these days, it's impossible to believe that MacEwen, Hawryluk, or even Michaelis wouldn't bring more to the table. But this coach will go over the cliff with 'his guys' I guess.

Reactions: Bubbles

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Roussel’s contract was absolutely stupid at the time. I just remember all the idiot apologist reporters being like “Roussel and Beagle signings were fine other than the prices and terms”. How can someone say something so absolutely stupid. But of course that was when cap space didn’t matter.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sometimes a player survives in the lineup against all odds and logic....because the coach just likes him. So it was with Jayson Megna and Willie Desjardins.

Megna, currently 31, played 9 fewer NHL games that one season under WD than he has in the entirety of the rest of his career combined.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sucks having to support a team where this guy gets to play every game regardless of effectiveness. He’s a gutless puke too, usually has helmet and gloves glued on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Roussel’s contract was absolutely stupid at the time. I just remember all the idiot apologist reporters being like “Roussel and Beagle signings were fine other than the prices and terms”. How can someone say something so absolutely stupid. But of course that was when cap space didn’t matter.
Roussel seemed redundant when they also signed Schaller. Schaller, despite being unproductive, at least was only 2 years. That was a more logical signing than adding Roussel. Take the shorter term.

But, that's been the case of this management group. Always willing to give term to get their target guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually starting to feel a twinge of sympathy for Roussel, who's clearly not the player he was and probably never will be again.

I get the fact that he's a black hole offensively on the third line; usually takes a bad penalty or two every game; and is a turnover machine along the wall. I'm sure he knows how badly he's playing right now.

But it's hardly his fault that the coach won't sit him for Hawryluk, Michaelis or somebody from Utica with a pulse. This kind of mindless gifting of ice time to veterans by this coach has gone on for years. It's almost as if he defies anyone to point out that a lineup change just might be good for the player and the team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Roussel seemed redundant when they also signed Schaller. Schaller, despite being unproductive, at least was only 2 years. That was a more logical signing than adding Roussel. Take the shorter term.

But, that's been the case of this management group. Always willing to give term to get their target guy.

Roussel before his serious knee injury was having a fantastic first season with the Canucks and was worth his contract. Usage wise he was Horvat's best partner at the time. His "counting stats" weren't anything impressive but his underlying stats left little to criticize. He doesn't turn 32 until November.

The Canucks overpaid to get him here but before he went down with a knee injury it was looking like a really good signing. Of course in today's environment, $3M for a projected 3rd line winger isn't a great way to spend your cap dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad