The Andrew MacDonald Discussion Thread

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
he could be the love child of Mother Theresa and Santy Claus and I'd still boil with rage whenever I see his stupid face on the ice. It's even worse now when he's keeping a Morin or Sanheim off the ice...
It isn't him or his play that keeps Morin or Sanheim off the ice. That responsibility is on someone else.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Why won't this crappy, cluttered, unusuable new website let us ignore threads? Already ruined 'ignore users' since their avatars still show up. Very disappointing that the new site doesn't have the best of the old sites' functionality - and a lot more creepy ads!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Starting to become very concerned that they actually value this clown and won't buy him out after this season. If I watch to watch this guy in O&B until June 2020, I'm legit going to jump off a bridge.

People starting to pick up on the fact that the team doesn't see MacDonald has having negative value. That's why he hasn't been on waivers since he came back from the Phantoms.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Obviously our issues as a fanbase are compounded with the young guys playing well in preseason, and for all intents and purposes at a higher level than AMac. Previously he was simply overpaid, but the lesser of some evils. Not the case anymore, and having faith in Ron, thinks there is alot more to the story than we know as fans. There has to be a strategy here, right? Whether we are keeping them down for a purpose, or keeping him up for same, it HAS to be for a bigger picture benefit..

Will agree with the other post about his professionalism, I don't think that was ever really called to question. His play, given his contract, are a different story. Getting a letter was just really bad timing, and the furthest from what the majority here would ever want to see.

I still think something happens before the end of this season...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Obviously our issues as a fanbase are compounded with the young guys playing well in preseason, and for all intents and purposes at a higher level than AMac. Previously he was simply overpaid, but the lesser of some evils. Not the case anymore, and having faith in Ron, thinks there is alot more to the story than we know as fans. There has to be a strategy here, right? Whether we are keeping them down for a purpose, or keeping him up for same, it HAS to be for a bigger picture benefit..

Will agree with the other post about his professionalism, I don't think that was ever really called to question. His play, given his contract, are a different story. Getting a letter was just really bad timing, and the furthest from what the majority here would ever want to see.

I still think something happens before the end of this season...

MacDonald, with 3 years left at $5 million per, is as likely to get traded as you or I are likely to get a call about signing with the team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
MacDonald, with 3 years left at $5 million per, is as likely to get traded as you or I are likely to get a call about signing with the team.

A top 3-4, efficient, reliable d-man who can play either side; who is a team leader; who is the Bubba of beet recipes......at $3-3.5 million is tradable.

Nothing would surprise me though if they keep him all next year too. It's not a contract thing anymore. If they want to make room, maybe they trade Gudas instead.

Reactions: Rebels57

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He is a Holmgren holdover....that should be enough of an indictment!

With that reasoning, Giroux... who was drafted under Clarke's watch but nurtured under Homer... should be indicted also... unless he gets a pass because Clarke picked him -- but wasn't it Homer who remembered G's name? -- And what about Jake and Simmer? ;)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
With that reasoning, Giroux... who was drafted under Clarke's watch but nurtured under Homer... should be indicted also... unless he gets a pass because Clarke picked him -- but wasn't it Homer who remembered G's name? -- And what about Jake and Simmer? ;)
He is a Holmgren holdover in the sense that he was a mistake from the outset..one of many albatrosses that Hextall was left to clean up..

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
he had a nice goal last night for san jose

Unfortunate caroms off skates are really difficult to avoid... are you suggesting that every Player must make sure that his stance is never in a position where a puck could either inadvertently or purposely hit off him... even as he is moving into a position to best defend? While they should be aware, it is impossible for them to fully avoid such unfortunate situations.

Even the greatest Players can be a victim of such a fate... you suck it up and move on. Blaming AMac for that goal is unfair... the shooter wasn't even attempting the carom as far as I can determine.

IIRC, that was a PP... I'd think the Player who put the Flyers in that situation would be much more to blame.

You can knock AMac all you want for bad play... but it is unfair to do so for situations beyond his control.

That said... I fully expected some people to blame him on that... it is, what it is. SMH

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Pucks bounce in off MacD a LOT though. He's the master of screening his own goalie and partially blocking shots.

Do you believe it was an intended bank shot? From what I saw, I seriously doubt it.

It's not like a Player shooting or deflecting into own net.

All I'm saying is that to point that out is just showing how people reach to find ways to detract against a Player they dislike... it waters down the case, IMO.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pucks bounce in off MacD a LOT though. He's the master of screening his own goalie and partially blocking shots.

Got any stats on that compared to other defensemen?
Or is this a made up item that fits your agenda?

MacDonald played last night like what he is, a veteran 3rd pair D-man.
No reason to exaggerate, he is what he is.

Sanheim and Morin will work their way into the lineup as the season proceeds.
Manning will disappear into the sunset and MacDonald will ride the bench at times.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Got any stats on that compared to other defensemen?
Or is this a made up item that fits your agenda?

MacDonald played last night like what he is, a veteran 3rd pair D-man.
No reason to exaggerate, he is what he is.

Sanheim and Morin will work their way into the lineup as the season proceeds.
Manning will disappear into the sunset and MacDonald will ride the bench at times.

Once again, the issue is that his is NOT used in a 3rd pairing way. He once again had the 2nd most ice time of our Dmen. If he was used as a 3rd pairing Dman, he would get less time to make the mistakes he does. He also would get easier matchups...instead of facing the lines we want Provy to match against.

The anger comes because it is clear to everyone but our Mgt that AMac is overwhelmed in that role and we now have more than enough guys who can push him down in the lineup. Good #3-4 Dman Hak says....

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Eyes deceive. I don't trust other people's impressions, just the cold, hard facts.
There's a lot of literature about framing, that your preconceived notions determine what you observe.

I prefer Manning over MacDonald or Ghost on the PK, because he's more physical, and is more effective on crowded ice.
I prefer MacDonald over Manning at ES, because MacDonald is competent if not skilled, especially the further from his own net (he's good at blocking shots but not at clearing the crease). Manning gets lost in space, he's just not a good skater.
Both are limited, as are practically every 3rd pair D-man in the league (and some 2nd pair, as we've seen in past seasons).

However, don't take preseason performances too seriously, what a young D-man can get away with against scrubs can look a lot worse against real players. That's why I expect them to be gradually worked into the lineup, the same way Vorobyev and Lindblom will start against AHL competition on NA ice, and if they perform, they'll get called up at some point.

As I said before the season, the lineup in January may look very different than the one in October.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Unfortunate caroms off skates are really difficult to avoid... are you suggesting that every Player must make sure that his stance is never in a position where a puck could either inadvertently or purposely hit off him... even as he is moving into a position to best defend? While they should be aware, it is impossible for them to fully avoid such unfortunate situations.

Even the greatest Players can be a victim of such a fate... you suck it up and move on. Blaming AMac for that goal is unfair... the shooter wasn't even attempting the carom as far as I can determine.

IIRC, that was a PP... I'd think the Player who put the Flyers in that situation would be much more to blame.

You can knock AMac all you want for bad play... but it is unfair to do so for situations beyond his control.

That said... I fully expected some people to blame him on that... it is, what it is. SMH
let me ask you this... what was he doing on that play? who was he covering? what was his purpose being in the position that he was in? it wasn't to cut down the pass or if it was it was a very very poor attempt, it wasn't to cover the man with the puck, and it wasn't to cover the man coming in backside as he was wide open, so what exactly was he doing? seems like it an unfortunate bounce due to his lack of hockey iq.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
let me ask you this... what was he doing on that play? who was he covering? what was his purpose being in the position that he was in? it wasn't to cut down the pass or if it was it was a very very poor attempt, it wasn't to cover the man with the puck, and it wasn't to cover the man coming in backside as he was wide open, so what exactly was he doing? seems like it an unfortunate bounce due to his lack of hockey iq.

I completely disagree with this Post.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The pass should have gone to the man in the slot, MacDonald was positioning himself to go down to block the shot, giving his goalie a clear vision and taking away the 5 hole. You can see him watching the potential shooter and shifting his skates to be ready to go down and take away the low shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad