The All Things Beaulieu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
After I saw Sir Lancelot giggling on the bench, after hitting NB, I was praying the hockey gods made him choke on his little moment.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
After I saw Sir Lancelot giggling on the bench, after hitting NB, I was praying the hockey gods made him choke on his little moment.

I cannot wait until Karlsson gets rocked. He's never really in a position to get hit the same way since he's the puck carrier rushing up the ice, but you never know when miscommunication can lead to an Emelin freight train coming at you. Lucy has been dumped so many times by him, I'm thinking it can be done.

Good on Beaulieu to tough it out. I really like the kid's grit. For all the criticism (albeit metered) he's receiving, I think we should all be very happy with his development if you consider where he was last year. Very impressed with him and he's only going to get better. I don't think putting him with Gilbert helped -- he was great with Gonchar. Anyway, just saying that it's great that at least one of the D prospects has become a regular. Pateryn next?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I cannot wait until Karlsson gets rocked. He's never really in a position to get hit the same way since he's the puck carrier rushing up the ice, but you never know when miscommunication can lead to an Emelin freight train coming at you. Lucy has been dumped so many times by him, I'm thinking it can be done.

Good on Beaulieu to tough it out. I really like the kid's grit. For all the criticism (albeit metered) he's receiving, I think we should all be very happy with his development if you consider where he was last year. Very impressed with him and he's only going to get better. I don't think putting him with Gilbert helped -- he was great with Gonchar. Anyway, just saying that it's great that at least one of the D prospects has become a regular. Pateryn next?

Karlsson combines elite skating with elite awareness. He is nearly impossible to hit in the open ice. He always has his head up and sees everything. I wouldn't bet on that ever happening.

Now, they can crunch him in a corner, sure, but not in the neutral zone.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Karlsson combines elite skating with elite awareness. He is nearly impossible to hit in the open ice. He always has his head up and sees everything. I wouldn't bet on that ever happening.

Now, they can crunch him in a corner, sure, but not in the neutral zone.

Which is what I was alluding to. DSP got the most of him so far and it was against the boards. Also, he was bracing for it.

Still, like I said, a combination of factors can always conspire to create a chance for a big hit on as smooth a skater as Karlsson. Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos -- it's happened to them all.

I don't want to see him get concussed. Just the kind of hit Emelin usually lays on a guy. Hard and clean. And it's not even cuz I have the same hate that sens fans have for Subban. It's really cuz I think it was a dangerous cheapshot on N8 and he knew exactly what he was doing. Lost a lot of respect for him on that play.

What gets lost in all the hitting that the Sens did cuz they didn't have the puck, was how much we've been hitting and hitting well. That and Gryba can't handle DD or Gallagher. When everyone is healthy, this team looks quite different. (Also we're so much more improved this time around.)

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

By Galchenyuk in game 1

ElderlyAdventurousGrunion.gif

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
what's the future for beaulieu... at first he was "suppose" to replace markov someday but he's having 9 pts in 64 games this year. I know he's not playing on the PP and that habs aren't scoring a lot ( pretty sure his playing time is mostly with the 3rd and 4th line).

His skating is great but a top 4 is probably the max for him, wich is good in itself.

Markov had only 1 season above 30 points at the age of 27. He then hit his prime in the 2005-06 season, with 267 NHL games under his belt, and had 4 seasons of 46, 49, 58, 64 points. That pace probably would have maintained, but he ran into his knee injuries.

Beaulieu is currently 22 years old, and has played 87 NHL games. Its still way too early to tell if he'll ever get to Markov's level, but he's still really young and needs to play more. I'd say if he is in our top 6 next year, which he should, that we'll start to see more flashes of what he will become, and then hopefully consistency kicks in during the following two years. By then he'll be 25 and have around 250 NHL games played and we'll see what he can be. This should also line up with Markov's eventual decline, so the timing might work out well if Beaulieu can meet most of his potential.

I think our most recent memories of a quality D prospect developing are of Subban, but Subban is a special player, and we shouldn't hold Beaulieu to that type of standard.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

That really bugged me too, be gracious about it at least.

Although I'm an atheist the final score was a nice consolation prize.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
On a previous hit attempt, Karlsson just bounced off Beaulieu and fell to the ice. I guess that's why he went for the headshot afterwards. It was the only way he could compete with Beaulieu.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We know from past history that he comes by it honestly.

Tough to lose that brawling mentality, I'm afraid.
Young emotional player. His emotions can work for and against him... last night it was the latter. Love him. Think he should be on the 2nd pairing but he was brutal yesterday. Worst game I've seen him play maybe ever.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Big believer that he has the tools, but I knew between getting rocked, not playing good and that run at someone he would be benched. Hate to say it but it was the right decision. Hard as it is, and I have gone hoarse yelling at my TV, HE needs to control his emotions...at least more than we do as fans watching the game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Markov had only 1 season above 30 points at the age of 27. He then hit his prime in the 2005-06 season, with 267 NHL games under his belt, and had 4 seasons of 46, 49, 58, 64 points. That pace probably would have maintained, but he ran into his knee injuries.

Beaulieu is currently 22 years old, and has played 87 NHL games. Its still way too early to tell if he'll ever get to Markov's level, but he's still really young and needs to play more. I'd say if he is in our top 6 next year, which he should, that we'll start to see more flashes of what he will become, and then hopefully consistency kicks in during the following two years. By then he'll be 25 and have around 250 NHL games played and we'll see what he can be. This should also line up with Markov's eventual decline, so the timing might work out well if Beaulieu can meet most of his potential.

I think our most recent memories of a quality D prospect developing are of Subban, but Subban is a special player, and we shouldn't hold Beaulieu to that type of standard.

Its unlikely he will get to Markov's level regardless, and thats no knock on beaulieu.

His mobility is so good that he can carve out an NHL career predominantly on that skill.

I think he has a top 4 ceiling, myself.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Its unlikely he will get to Markov's level regardless, and thats no knock on beaulieu.

His mobility is so good that he can carve out an NHL career predominantly on that skill.

I think he has a top 4 ceiling, myself.

He and Markov are different players for sure, since Markov is just much more cerebral and positionally sound. The feeling I get is that Beaulieu will, at best, be a #2D, because one of his biggest assets is his skating, which is so important in the league right now. I think a more realistic projection would be a solid 2nd pairing guy, although its possible he could eventually play with Subban if we don't have any better options at LD, which would be unfortunate. Ideally, he can find his niche on the 2nd pair with Petry or someone of that ilk, and Subban will have a more appropriate partner when Markov's game starts to drop.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Really hoping he can make his way back in. All due respect to Pateryn, but Beaulieu solidifies the defence by having everyone in their natural position.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
if we resign petry, hope we see:

beaulieu price
markov petry

let the guys battle for the bottom 2, either gilbert or emelin need to be moved for cap reasons...unless petry is out. markov needs less ice time and pk time, he's lost a step

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
if we resign petry, hope we see:

beaulieu price
markov petry

let the guys battle for the bottom 2, either gilbert or emelin need to be moved for cap reasons...unless petry is out. markov needs less ice time and pk time, he's lost a step

I'd rather keep Price in net, it's his natural position and he's pretty good at it :sarcasm:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I could not pay too much attention to the game Sunday because my kids, so how was Beaulieu's first game in his coming back from injury?

Thanks

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I noticed him out of position a bit more than usual, but that is to be expected with a first game back in a little while. His skating and puck movement was stellar as always.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I noticed him out of position a bit more than usual, but that is to be expected with a first game back in a little while. His skating and puck movement was stellar as always.

Yeah, made a couple of poor decisions on pinches, but overall...nothing too much to complain about.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Notice he was a little tentative last game and it had nothing to do with being injured ... The way he played all year which is fine but since the 3rd game vs TB habs players are more aggressive. No more playing on the heals! More decisive, the transition defence to offence is quick. Everyone has to be on board with the strategy. Breach the D by playing their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad