Confirmed with Link: The All Star/Jersey Retirement thread.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Does anyone still watch the allstars? I'm going to guess the viewership has been going down every year recently but can't confirm.

Sucks for Domi though, he deserved it.

There's no chance in hell Domi was going to go, unfortunately.

Point, and Marner didn't go, and are much more deserving as forwards than he is.

They have to work within the system of picking 1 player per team, and picking enough at each position, and the forwards are too stacked in the Atlantic for Domi.

I like the Carey Price selection. I actually think name recognition should matter quite a bit in an all star selection. From the NHL's standpoint it should be about putting on a show - not necessarily just rewarding their players having the best season.

I know OV isn't going and Crosby is - but if somehow one or the other hadn't been voted in/or seemed undeserving due to games missed or poor play - I would still want the NHL to make room for them. McDavid, and a few others too.

Carey Price isn't as big of a star but he's still a big name and I think it's the choice that made the most sense for the Habs.
All that to say - if he decides to skip it and rest i wouldn't care. Give him the 1 game suspension too - it matters not at all for a goalie as we can just have the backup play that game anyways.

Reactions: ArtPeur

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think Price stays home. sits out the Jan 23rd game against Arizona. Then he is off from Jan 19th to Feb 2nd. Otherwise he sits Feb 2nd against Jersey, its part of a back to back so he probably only plays 1 of the 2 anyway.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. This everybody gets a medal for participation is stupid. It's not a ALL STAR game when the stars are not all there.

Open up the skills competition to all players who can qualify (Byron as faster skater and Weber for hardest shot for example).

They can do many different things to bring back some form of entertainment to our all star game. The NHL is messing this up

It seems in both the NBA and NHL its become more like the NFL - nobody tries because no one wants to risk injury. But the NBA and NHL all star games used to be real games, and the game MVP a prestigious honor.

Maybe they should do like the MLS and have the NHL all stars play a top team from Europe like the KHL.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think Price stays home. sits out the Jan 23rd game against Arizona. Then he is off from Jan 19th to Feb 2nd. Otherwise he sits Feb 2nd against Jersey, its part of a back to back so he probably only plays 1 of the 2 anyway.

Well....going to the ASG is pretty much a punishment for the players, not a gift. I won't be surprise one bit that Price decline the invittion du to some minor injury the week before.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
6 forwards, 2 defensemen, 2 goaltenders by division
Every teams must be represented. Big names most be there

That's pretty much why Price is going.

Gotta send Eichel for Buffalo ahead of Hutton for sure
Kucherov, Stamkos (and Point) ahead of Vasy
Pastrnak for Boston....not having a real starter
Tavares, Matthews (Marner, Reilly) for Toronto for sure

Domi deserve it for the Habs....sure. Morgaan Rielly is favorite for the Norris and he's not there.
But which Forwards do you take out to put their Goalie instead?
Does Domi deserve it more than any of those forwards?

Guys like Stamkos and Tavares are pick because their names is sexier than Rielly, Marner or Point too.
Price's name is sexy and not one of their forwards is a bigger name or a better player than the forwards of other teams.

Never forget, it's about selling the whole thing.

If you are Matthews and you are trying to build an Atlantic all star roster where every team is represented, you take Price on the Habs. Weber is not the type to play a open style of game. Those are the only two he considers and only one is taken.

In the end, Matthews shafted Marner by being selected as caption

Reactions: Milhouse40

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really Domi deserves it and even Petry and I'd say Tatar would be more worthy before Price. I am guessing they needed a goalie for the division and each team has to be represented so Price was picked...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Really Domi deserves it and even Petry and I'd say Tatar would be more worthy before Price. I am guessing they needed a goalie for the division and each team has to be represented so Price was picked...

Put yourself in Matthews shoes and you will understand why he took Price over Domi

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Whoever picked this overpaid clown as an all Star obviously hasn't watched too many habs games this year.

Domi, Tatar, drouin and petry are all more deserving.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
What a farce this game has become lol.. How does a goalie with .904 sv% make the allstar team lmao, we have a ppg center (almost) and a d who is top 10 in d scoring. Ridiculous.

This **** makes me dislike him even though I know it's not his fault. I feel like he's always been praised whether deserving or not, I think it's why I don't care for him anymore lol.

Like it or not its been this way his entire career. When you really think about it he hasn't accomplished anything to date. And Come playoff time his play has been mediocre at best.

The idea that price is "the best goalie on the planet" took off after he won Olympic gold. On a team so stacked they could have won with a pee wee goalie in net.

I hated the halak trade years ago as once again price was "just given the job" . Just like he was when we traded huet, in a year where we could have easily won the cup with a competent goaltender. I had a lot of people saying "I told you so" after a few years but in the end we'd be better off without him and his fat contract.

I'd like to see Carey actually earn something...(his salary, his all Star participation). But i'm not going to hold my breath

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Like it or not its been this way his entire career. When you really think about it he hasn't accomplished anything to date. And Come playoff time his play has been mediocre at best.

The idea that price is "the best goalie on the planet" took off after he won Olympic gold. On a team so stacked they could have won with a pee wee goalie in net.

I hated the halak trade years ago as once again price was "just given the job" . Just like he was when we traded huet, in a year where we could have easily won the cup with a competent goaltender. I had a lot of people saying "I told you so" after a few years but in the end we'd be better off without him and his fat contract.

I'd like to see Carey actually earn something...(his salary, his all Star participation). But i'm not going to hold my breath

Yeah, his Hart and Vezina in the same year was just given to him eh? Our team was just so amazing that Carey could just lay down on the goal line and be the best goalie in the league. Same as that Olympic Gold where, you know, he had back-to-back shutouts in the semis and the finals. Against the Americans and the Swedes. But that was "all team" apparently.

His title didn't take off after the Olympics, it was cemented. The only things I agree with in your post was that he was given the job over Huet and that he has been mediocre in the playoffs some years. Other than that, the rest just comes off as personal bias.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are you talking about? Matthews doesn't pick the team the NHL does....

I'm not sure? I thought Matthews would be part of it cause he was named captain?

You should rephrase your post... why not say this... "I think the NHL picks the team, not Matthews". Why take the confrontational approach?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Captain is literally just a gimmick. He has nothing to do with the selections.

I have no idea how they made the selections. Why even name a captain? I just thought the captain would have some role in the player selections with the NHL? Stupid of me to assume this I guess

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Yeah, his Hart and Vezina in the same year was just given to him eh? Our team was just so amazing that Carey could just lay down on the goal line and be the best goalie in the league. Same as that Olympic Gold where, you know, he had back-to-back shutouts in the semis and the finals. Against the Americans and the Swedes. But that was "all team" apparently.

His title didn't take off after the Olympics, it was cemented. The only things I agree with in your post was that he was given the job over Huet and that he has been mediocre in the playoffs some years. Other than that, the rest just comes off as personal bias.

The only hab goalie in my day that ever won both the Hart and vezina in the same year was Theodore. That was a year where the habs had literally no offence and we're giving up 40 plus shots a game. Jose won the Hart because he single handedly took that team to the playoffs and won a playoff round. Not to say price didn't have a good year when we won the Hart but I don't feel he was as dominant as other goalies like Theodore, Roy or Dominik hasek.

I may be biased towards price but I think it has a lot to do with him choking year in year out come playoff time. How can he be called the greatest goalie in the world with his rock bottom playoff record?

As for the Olympics, let's get real here. Any mediocre NHL goalie could have won that. Canada's team was so rock solid the great swedes and Americans barely got a sniff.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not sure? I thought Matthews would be part of it cause he was named captain?

You should rephrase your post... why not say this... "I think the NHL picks the team, not Matthews". Why take the confrontational approach?

Sorry didn't mean to sound confrontational. I just saw you mention this a few posts in a row.

I know the one year they had a draft (from players the NHL had selected) where each team captain picked players for his team (and Kessel got picked last). But that's really the extent of it in terms of a captain picking the team. And they've dropped it since.

The NHL are the ones who pick the players this year and have always, as far as i know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry didn't mean to sound confrontational. I just saw you mention this a few posts in a row.

I know the one year they had a draft (from players the NHL had selected) where each team captain picked players for his team (and Kessel got picked last). But that's really the extent of it in terms of a captain picking the team. And they've dropped it since.

The NHL are the ones who pick the players this year and have always, as far as i know.

They did name the captains in advance of the entire player selections. That's why I assumed Matthews would play some part in it. It's an assumption but I have no idea. Maybe the media asked them at some point moving forward on who made the selections and if the captains played some role? Or have they already verified it was the NHL only? Not sure.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have no idea how they made the selections. Why even name a captain? I just thought the captain would have some role in the player selections with the NHL? Stupid of me to assume this I guess

For a few years the Fan Vote picked the starters of 2 teams (so 3 F, 2 D, 1 G). Only 2 teams. Then the NHL picked the rest.

Then when they changed it to 3vs3 and 4 smaller teams format - they wanted to keep the fan vote but not have fans select the whole team, so it's now down to fans only voting the captain. It's less about being "captain" then being voted in as the most popular guy.

PK Subban won in the central a few times because of how popular he is, for example.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For a few years the Fan Vote picked the starters of 2 teams (so 3 F, 2 D, 1 G). Only 2 teams. Then the NHL picked the rest.

Then when they changed it to 3vs3 and 4 smaller teams format - they wanted to keep the fan vote but not have fans select the whole team, so it's now down to fans only voting the captain. It's less about being "captain" then being voted in as the most popular guy.

PK Subban won in the central a few times because of how popular he is, for example.

I understand but this year it's a different format. They didn't have a live draft. So all I can do is assume. If the captains didn't play a role in selection of players from each team, why not wait and name the teams and captain at the same time?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They did name the captains in advance of the entire player selections. That's why I assumed Matthews would play some part in it. It's an assumption but I have no idea. Maybe the media asked them at some point moving forward on who made the selections and if the captains played some role? Or have they already verified it was the NHL only? Not sure.

No it's definitely the NHL picking, not the captain.

On the first article I googled about it i found on sportsnet:

A fan vote determined each division’s team captain, the results of which were released last week. The NHL’s Hockey Operations department has selected most of the rest of the rosters, but this year will add a new wrinkle: Fans will also be able to vote on the “last man in” on each division’s roster.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No it's definitely the NHL picking, not the captain.

On the first article I googled about it i found on sportsnet:

A fan vote determined each division’s team captain, the results of which were released last week. The NHL’s Hockey Operations department has selected most of the rest of the rosters, but this year will add a new wrinkle: Fans will also be able to vote on the “last man in” on each division’s roster.

Does this verify that the captains who were selected in advance didn't play a role with hockey operations by selecting the rest of the players? Seems weird to me to name the captains and then the rest of the roster later on?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I understand but this year it's a different format. They didn't have a live draft. So all I can do is assume. If the captains didn't play a role in selection of players from each team, why not wait and name the teams and captain at the same time?

It's not just different this year. It was like that last year, and i believe the year before too. Since they changed to 3v3.

Also - marketing? It's better for them if they stagger announcements to get excitement for the game going and people talking about it. Just consider us 2 - talking about the all star game in back and forths here today. And i'm sure others did the same a week ago when captains were first released.

And that new wrinkle of the final spot going by fan vote (that is new this year) - well when that's announced it will again get more people talking about it.

Marketing/Publicity.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not just different this year. It was like that last year, and i believe the year before too. Since they changed to 3v3.

Also - marketing? It's better for them if they stagger announcements to get excitement for the game going and people talking about it. Just consider us 2 - talking about the all star game in back and forths here today. And i'm sure others did the same a week ago when captains were first released.

And that new wrinkle of the final spot going by fan vote (that is new this year) - well when that's announced it will again get more people talking about it.

Marketing/Publicity.

I don't remember but did they announce the captains in advance last year? Or did they announce all the roster at once?

Of course marketing plays a role, it's a huge part of the All Star game. It don't prove anything that happens behind the scenes.

Anyways, I'd like to see the media ask this question to the captains on their role of the player selections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad