Confirmed with Link: The All Star/Jersey Retirement thread.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I never liked Max’s intensity and I think it’s important for a leader to show that on the ice as it can rub off on the other players.
I don't disagree.

I never considered him a leader though. He was a leader because we didn't have anyone else to shoulder the offensive load. Players were misused, we had bad systems and the Galchenyuk usage in particular killed us.

We should've got help for Paccioretty and should've used our existing players better. Blaming Max lets the coach and GM off the hook.
We'll always agree on this LG no matter whatever other disagreements we have. IMO, Michel Therrien might be the most destructive coach in NHL history, he is absolutely terrible and as bad as some of these old school GMs can be, I don't think even they will ever consider MT for a coaching gig.
Always nice to find common ground my friend.
Was Michel there last year?

Galchenyuk was a top 5 scorer for a very short period. I'm sorry but as talented as the guy is let's not pretend like he was going to keep that up.

We're cynical with Drouin and Domi's paces yet when it comes to Galchenyuk he was clearly going to be an 80 point+ guy right?

Pacioretty IS playing with a better center, and he has played at different levels wiht better enters. HE's not the type of guy to really benefit from that as he just plays the same game. DD set him up all the time.
We'll just agree to disagree.

Regardless of how you think things shook out, there's no doubt that the team tried to dump everything on Subban. And that ultimately is what caused the trade and (in my opinion) really closed the window for us.

Anyways, to get back to the topic. Subban wasn't here long enough to get retired. So that leaves Price and maybe Markov.

If Markov makes the HOF then I think they'll retire his jersey due to his team totals. As for Price I think he'll fall into the same category. He'll pass Plante this year for most wins and if he makes the HOF then he'll get retired as well. I don't see either player being retired if they aren't HOFers though.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't disagree.

I never considered him a leader though. He was a leader because we didn't have anyone else to shoulder the offensive load. Players were misused, we had bad systems and the Galchenyuk usage in particular killed us.

We should've got help for Paccioretty and should've used our existing players better. Blaming Max lets the coach and GM off the hook.

Always nice to find common ground my friend.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Regardless of how you think things shook out, there's no doubt that the team tried to dump everything on Subban. And that ultimately is what caused the trade and (in my opinion) really closed the window for us.

Anyways, to get back to the topic. Subban wasn't here long enough to get retired. So that leaves Price and maybe Markov.

If Markov makes the HOF then I think they'll retire his jersey due to his team totals. As for Price I think he'll fall into the same category. He'll pass Plante this year for most wins and if he makes the HOF then he'll get retired as well. I don't see either player being retired if they aren't HOFers though.

The team traded Subban, the media tried to dump everything on him. I am not ready to say Subban is some kind of martyr, even if I loves him as a player.

I honestly believe Bergevin just thought Weber was a better player

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The team traded Subban, the media tried to dump everything on him. I am not ready to say Subban is some kind of martyr, even if I loves him as a player.

We'll agree to disagree on that one. I don't want this to be a 'why'd PK get traded' debate. Bottom line is that Subban wasn't here long enough to be retired.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I don’t think Bergevin thought Weber was a better player. At the time and still, they are very similar in how much they can bring to any team. Subban plays a much more diserable style as puck transition means a lot in today’s game. They wanted Subban gone, and they wanted a replacement as they knew getting a RHD of that caliber would be next to impossible. And they had to take a hit on age and contract to make it happen.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don’t think Bergevin thought Weber was a better player. At the time and still, they are very similar in how much they can bring to any team. Subban plays a much more diserable style as puck transition means a lot in today’s game. They wanted Subban gone, and they wanted a replacement as they knew getting a RHD of that caliber would be next to impossible. And they had to take a hit on age and contract to make it happen.

There's not much to support that argument that isn't fabrication but I can't prove it wrong, much like the existence of god.

So we continue to trudge through people's emotional reimaginings in order to try and further destroy Bergevin's reputation, as if he didn't do it himself already just through the results of the trades themselves.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There's not much to support that argument that isn't fabrication but I can't prove it wrong, much like the existence of god.

So we continue to trudge through people's emotional reimaginings in order to try and further destroy Bergevin's reputation, as if he didn't do it himself already just through the results of the trades themselves.

Weber is not built to dominate an era where PMD are rising. That’s what you continue to ignore. Doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very good defenseman. Teams want the full package now, Weber offers one part of the package with a lot but he lacks the most important. And that’s ignoring age and every other argument against why the trade was bad.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Weber is not built to dominate an era where PMD are rising. That’s what you continue to ignore. Doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very good defenseman. Teams want the full package now, Weber offers one part of the package with a lot but he lacks the most important. And that’s ignoring age and every other argument against why the trade was bad.

I agree with your assessment but my argument had nothing to do with the Weber's quality as a dman.

I honestly think Bergevin thought he was the better player and that's why he made the trade. I don't think it's a more complex intrinsic dislike of Subban people here are focused on presenting as factual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad