OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Anyone play yakuza 0? That game is loaded with personality and charm to a degree that puts gta to shame. I finally, FINALLY started playing bastion. It's been a decade of holding off. It's got one helluva fun gimmick. A narrator tells your story as you play. Classic, cool, grizzled, aged western sounding narrator.

"The traveler finds his trusty hammer (you attack the walls) and starts tearing up the place."
As you run the floor pops up in front of you so
"He sees the floor rise up before him. He doesn't question it. Just keeps moving forward...(I jump off a cliff) and then he dies (i respawn) just kidding...but he does learn to be careful where he's steppin"

Limbo is next on my list as well as a bunch of old SNES and genesis games

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Haven't played Yakuza 0, but one of my favorite Twitch streamers played through a bunch of them and they looked like a blast.

Cabaret club for life.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anybody a fan of the Hitman series?

I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Hitman 2016.

It's the best game in the series by far imo. It brings the same classic Hitman action but it's totally removed the cartoonish feel in favor of a more cold and professional look. It's really an amazing game.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If I wasn't pulling 60 work weeks at the moment, I'm dying to play RDR2.

Anyone dive in yet?
I'm waiting to take my certification exam in two weeks before I even think about it. I'm not going down that rabbit hole in crunch time.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Anyone looking for a PS4 NHL 19 EASHL team??

I have a club with 3-4 members and I'm looking to fill it out a bit more so we can get more consistent games

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Anyone looking for a PS4 NHL 19 EASHL team??

I have a club with 3-4 members and I'm looking to fill it out a bit more so we can get more consistent games
I'll play for a bit if you play evenings or nights mostly. It'll be tough for me now, but in two weeks I'll have a bit more time.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
ive never played that format, how does it work exactly?
Essentially, Everyone controls a player on the ice and you compete against another team online. Computers fill in any positions you don't have filled.

So one person controls his or her created player in a certain position(C,LW,RW,LD,RD,G) for the entire game.

Imagine Be a Pro but everyone is human controlled

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Essentially, Everyone controls a player on the ice and you compete against another team online. Computers fill in any positions you don't have filled.

So one person controls his or her created player in a certain position(C,LW,RW,LD,RD,G) for the entire game.

Imagine Be a Pro but everyone is human controlled
what nights and times do you guys play?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Been playing Divinity Original Sin and I have developed a love-hate relationship with it.

There's a lot of classic RPG elements to like, but this game is not nearly as polished or focused as you'd expect.

Sometimes you play a game and you wonder how it didn't get better reviews. This game has me wondering how it received some of the reviews its received. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not nearly as amazing as it was made out to be.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Been playing Divinity Original Sin and I have developed a love-hate relationship with it.

There's a lot of classic RPG elements to like, but this game is not nearly as polished or focused as you'd expect.

Sometimes you play a game and you wonder how it didn't get better reviews. This game has me wondering how it received some of the reviews its received. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not nearly as amazing as it was made out to be.
DOS2 is miles better

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If I wasn't pulling 60 work weeks at the moment, I'm dying to play RDR2.

Anyone dive in yet?

I didn’t play 1, but 2 is absolutely sensational.

I have a group of friends I met online years ago and they convinced me to get it. Blown away by the graphics and gameplay.

The size of the world is ginormous. Endless amount of customizations (from gear, guns, crafting, and your camp). Solid story.

I’m freaking addicted, Edge. It’s the kind of game you play for 5 hours straight and still want more and more.

They should be introducing online play sometime next month.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I didn’t play 1, but 2 is absolutely sensational.

I have a group of friends I met online years ago and they convinced me to get it. Blown away by the graphics and gameplay.

The size of the world is ginormous. Endless amount of customizations (from gear, guns, crafting, and your camp). Solid story.

I’m freaking addicted, Edge. It’s the kind of game you play for 5 hours straight and still want more and more.

They should be introducing online play sometime next month.

I was a HUGE fan of the first one and thought it was so incredibly unique. Similar experience in that I didn’t want to put it down.

The only thing that worried me about the sequel was that I wondered if it would be come “too much” and overwhelming.

Like, when does something become too big. But it seems to be a worthy sequel.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I was a HUGE fan of the first one and thought it was so incredibly unique. Similar experience in that I didn’t want to put it down.

The only thing that worried me about the sequel was that I wondered if it would be come “too much” and overwhelming.

Like, when does something become too big. But it seems to be a worthy sequel.

I’m always skeptical when it comes to sequels... Usually they’re a let-down. Movies and Games....

I don’t know if you’ll feel overwhelmed, but as someone who started gaming as a 6 year old in ‘86, I will say the enormous amount detail and effort that went into this game is something you’ll appreciate as a gamer.

If you want a 2-week booty call, this ain’t your Game. If you want something you can really sink your teeth into, with a huge RPG and exlporation element, this should be right up your alley. Wifey material ;)

Reactions: Edge

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
There are to many games on my plate..

•RDR2.

•NHL club 3’s with my buddies.

•FFXIV.

•And a dash of COD. (Against my will).

Tales of Borderlands...?! Someone explain quick. I LOVED borderlands!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are to many games on my plate..

•RDR2.

•NHL club 3’s with my buddies.

•FFXIV.

•And a dash of COD. (Against my will).

Tales of Borderlands...?! Someone explain quick. I LOVED borderlands!

Tales from the Borderlands is an older style action game set in that universe.

In many ways it’s more of an interactive story than anything else, but there are different branch points and story paths you can do down. Your decisions than change the course of the story. Telltale was a particular master at this with an number of games — from Batman to Guardians of the Galaxy, Game of Thrones to Walking Dead.

You decide if someone lives or dies, who you trust, the relationships you have, and ultimately how the story plays out.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I have a soft spot for the “pick your own adventure” type approaches to storytelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad