OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's downright embarrassing when you compare NHL to a game like FIFA. It's like, we're the red headed step child. The fact that every single person I've spoken to feels the same says a lot about the game.

I think 2019 will be different though, and I think it's going to be due to the frostbite engine, as well as the customization aspect which should have never been stripped from the game.
Not unexpected as FIFA's budget much much larger than NHL's. Anyway, I'd like to see be a pro evolve so that your player can play in world juniors olympics etc.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Honestly not trying to start a console war issue

At this point in the lifecycle, which console would you get today?

I have the original XB1, I've been heavily entrenched in the XBL system for a long time, but it still seems that the PS4 has more games aside from the AAA titles which are almost all dual platform the days.

I'm also not crazy on switching the controllers.

So honestly, not flaming anyone. I'm sure both consoles are fine in many ways, but which would you chose now?

Thanks!
PS4. I have always been a playstation guy but went for the Xbox One. Hated it. After 6 months I traded it for a PS4.

PS4 has better titles IMO.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Honestly not trying to start a console war issue

At this point in the lifecycle, which console would you get today?

I have the original XB1, I've been heavily entrenched in the XBL system for a long time, but it still seems that the PS4 has more games aside from the AAA titles which are almost all dual platform the days.

I'm also not crazy on switching the controllers.

So honestly, not flaming anyone. I'm sure both consoles are fine in many ways, but which would you chose now?

Thanks!

I was a PS1 and PS2 guy before switching over the 360 in the last generation. My primary motivation was the backwards compatibility.

I stuck with the XB1 and frankly haven't had any regrets. It's not so much a brand loyalty, so much as I'm used to it and have a pretty good library that goes back 3 console generations now.

There might be one or two PS titles that intrigue me, but it hasn't been enough to get me to fork over a car payment for the opportunity to buy those games.

But I also admit that I tend to have a different view when it comes to consumer competition. I don't really "root" for a brand to win. I don't really get into the subconscious desire of being on the "winning" side. I want strong competition that pushes manufacturers to make better products. I like it when manufacturers push each other and can't kick back and relax. For me, that's a "winning" scenario.

If I felt compelled to switch manufacturers the next console generation, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I picked up Warframe last weekend annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I now need an IV into my arm 24/7

It's so good.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If GM mode is your thing, wait until this upcoming release. Scouting system revamped which was totally broken previously
What are they changing? Does anyone else know if they're finally bringing customization back to EASHL?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do they still force you to retire after 25 years? That sucks.

On the old 2K games I used to take it into the 2100's.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm actually intrigued by the 200 legends that are supposedly in the game.

But overall, I want customization --- editing player vitals, a creation suite that enables custom goalie masks, etc.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It does seem like they’ve added some big improvements, so that should be nice.

I’m happy they’re trying to mimic NBA 2K moving forward because those games have done very well. Just please bring back custom EASHL.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Been playing a lot of FIFA online lately which is making me get my hopes up for NHL. I’d be happy if EASHL just mimicked FIFA with regards to customization.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
So I'm guessing this RPM collision physics doesnt mean they are implementing Frostbite and have come up with yet another lipstick to slap on this ****ty engine?

Pretty much. I've been playing the BETA for a few days and although there are noticeable improvements, it's basically another cookie cutter. It's a penalty ****fest right now. The R1 button should be renamed to the Penalty button. (Or Penalty Shot button, since I mostly play 3's).

Even the customization sucks moose balls. Instead of allowing you to distribute attribute points where you want, like they used to (Or like they do in **** Fifa), you unlock perks. There are three slots where you can select a perk you've unlocked. Unfortunately, the ass hats at EA decided to give the Perks some Pro's, and Con's. Yea.

The whole team needs to be gutted at EA. 1 idiotic decision after another.

The only reason why I play is my love for hockey and video games.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
retty much. I've been playing the BETA for a few days and although there are noticeable improvements, it's basically another cookie cutter. It's a penalty ****fest right now. The R1 button should be renamed to the Penalty button. (Or Penalty Shot button, since I mostly play 3's).

Best thing they ever did. Reward for spamming the R1/RB was the worst thing they ever did. Makes people responsible for their actions. Let's see if they tweak it (slight tweak down in sensitivity should do it) instead of caving to the masses and butcher it.

Even the customization sucks moose balls. Instead of allowing you to distribute attribute points where you want, like they used to (Or like they do in **** Fifa), you unlock perks. There are three slots where you can select a perk you've unlocked. Unfortunately, the ass hats at EA decided to give the Perks some Pro's, and Con's. Yea.

Balance between players. Unless they've fixed it, especially for online, there were exploits in that some attributes meant nothing, and with no caps, you put people on an unfair playing field if they were either not aware of it or didn't have points to put into it. The FIFA system (points going into your player over time and based on how you play) would be a great model, but I don't see it happening. This gives you the most pick up and play ability. Allowing height/weight changes and having attributes change based on that is a good idea too.

It appears endurance will mean something, as you can recover from fatigue on the ice, and having that bar in the lower left corner of the screen is a very nice add. I like the pro's and con's to the perk system. Makes you think before you build out a player.

Skating is 10000% better and will make the gameplay that much better across the board. Gameplay addresses issues in all game modes, so the skating and actually calling penalties will make the game better overall. They cannot cave into the mob mentality on penalties though. Cannot stress that enough.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
If anyone had No Man's Sky or is remotely interested in it, I seriously recommend getting back into it or picking it up. This new update is absolutely amazing. Totally different game.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I am assuming Be a GM isn't available in beta?
Hmm, honestly don't know. I'll take a look at it tonight after work. I only play online so when it downloaded I hopped right in with some buddies.

Edit: 23 beat me to it. (again).

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Best thing they ever did. Reward for spamming the R1/RB was the worst thing they ever did. Makes people responsible for their actions. Let's see if they tweak it (slight tweak down in sensitivity should do it) instead of caving to the masses and butcher it.

Balance between players. Unless they've fixed it, especially for online, there were exploits in that some attributes meant nothing, and with no caps, you put people on an unfair playing field if they were either not aware of it or didn't have points to put into it. The FIFA system (points going into your player over time and based on how you play) would be a great model, but I don't see it happening. This gives you the most pick up and play ability. Allowing height/weight changes and having attributes change based on that is a good idea too.

It appears endurance will mean something, as you can recover from fatigue on the ice, and having that bar in the lower left corner of the screen is a very nice add. I like the pro's and con's to the perk system. Makes you think before you build out a player.

Skating is 10000% better and will make the gameplay that much better across the board. Gameplay addresses issues in all game modes, so the skating and actually calling penalties will make the game better overall. They cannot cave into the mob mentality on penalties though. Cannot stress that enough.

The sensitivity absolutely has to be adjusted. You somehow get called, even on clean poke checks. The guy just flops. I do understand and appreciate the fact that they did make that adjustment though. It forces players to actually defend, and focus on gap control. It also forces you to play more physical which I think was lacking in 18. I play D on 3's when my buddies and it's a totally different game back there in '19. I actually like it. I can disrupt plays now by just getting a body on someone. Not hitting them, but rather getting in good position and engaging body-to-body contact.

EA needs to fix the game so when you customize a player to your liking so there aren't many exploits. But let's be reality here, every online game has exploits. The good developers acknowledge what those exploits are, and then make adjustments via patches. Fact is, EA just doesn't give a damn about putting in the necessary effort to create a system that allows you to fully customize a character. If they can implement that system on Fifa, then they can most definitely do the same on NHL.

I love the fatigue bar. Great addition. And I agree the skating has improved quite a bit. I hate the pros/cons perk system though. There shouldn't be cons. If you were building out a player with full access and control with your attributes, there are cons. If you're creating a 5-9 character weighing 175lbs, and focus all your efforts on making him speed and puck handling, then he's going to get man-handled. That's a con. That's what you get for not balancing your attribute points.

The perks system is more EA cookie cutter garbage. Replace that next year with fully customizable attributes. Let the people control what they want to focus on. If there's an issue with balance, then they can adjust it with a patches and updates.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I am assuming Be a GM isn't available in beta?
I was interested in the game when I saw the trailers but then heard about the lack of content and forgot about it. Now they finally seem to be adding content and the game is (relatively) cheap. Usually pays to wait before buying these games. I should have done the same with Stellaris.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Is this just a slapped together UI for the beta? It’s awful.

The player build/perk menus look 15 years old.

Only played a few games so far in clubs online. I did notice a fight causes the game to crash on PS4, 6v6. Obviously they’ll fix that. Kinda funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad