OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Finally got my PS5 bundle. Never played Spiderman so I am giving it a shot since it came free along with Miles Morales. While it isn't even remotely close to my style of game, I am having absurd amounts of fun with it.

Also, was fortunate enough to snag great seats to the FF7 Orchestra event in Atlanta in December.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I've tried to start a Be A Pro career as a goalie in NHL 21 and boy, is it not fun trying to learn how to play. You face maybe 5-8 shots a game and there always seems to be some funky bullshit that happens that results in the easiest goals against. I sat staring at my TV after giving up like 4 goals in the first period just asking myself "Is this any sort of fun?"

Is there some sort of like, goalie training? I watched some of the training videos, but I'm not savvy enough with the menus/training thing to figure out how to set anything up.
Don’t get me started on goalie IQ in this game! It was a big selling point from EA, but my guy inexplicably allows soft five-hole wristers almost every game — probably part of ice tilt. I’ve also noticed that my goalies give up rebounds that fall right onto the sticks of the opponent; the opposing goalie swallows all shots or deflects them out of play or to the boards. The asymmetry is ridiculous (I’ve noticed this with Shesty, Georgiev snd Korpisalo)

On that subject: has anyone noticed an inherent bias toward some franchises? For example, whether with default rosters or with a fantasy draft, Colorado seems to always score within minutes after I score — even if it takes my CPU-controlled teammates taking unnecessary penalties. The best part: halfway through a good 5v4 PK? No problem ... teammate AI will take another penalty to make it 5v3. Or I will slide to block a shot, snd the AI will go out of its way to skate into me, thereby generating a tripping penalty against me.

The only way to prevent this from happening is to prevent the CPU from taking any shots — which is easier said than done when the opposing players suddenly get a massive attribute boost. I had the amazing-skating Tavares blow by a fresh Jack Hughes more than once; Sanheim blew by Kreider another time.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I've tried to start a Be A Pro career as a goalie in NHL 21 and boy, is it not fun trying to learn how to play. You face maybe 5-8 shots a game and there always seems to be some funky bullshit that happens that results in the easiest goals against. I sat staring at my TV after giving up like 4 goals in the first period just asking myself "Is this any sort of fun?"

Is there some sort of like, goalie training? I watched some of the training videos, but I'm not savvy enough with the menus/training thing to figure out how to set anything up.

You can play as goalie in the practice mode and set up the scenario breakaway, 5 v 5, PK... whatever.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

This guy has really good tip videos. The biggest thing that helped me is switching to Alternate controls so that L2 is your butterfly button. https://youtube.com/channel/UCNpFLB61W75pkYF-QbpsFKw

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Finally got my PS5 bundle. Never played Spiderman so I am giving it a shot since it came free along with Miles Morales. While it isn't even remotely close to my style of game, I am having absurd amounts of fun with it.

Also, was fortunate enough to snag great seats to the FF7 Orchestra event in Atlanta in December.
Oh man I had tickets for last September . Obviously cancelled , I hope I can see them eventually

Reactions: Gardner McKay

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Playstation people, you can get your 2020 stats here:

My top 3 most played games were NHL 20, Final Fantasy XII Remaster and Death Stranding.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Playstation people, you can get your 2020 stats here:

My top 3 most played games were NHL 20, Final Fantasy XII Remaster and Death Stranding.

Ah, a man of culture.

My top 3 were Final Fantasy XII, Monster Hunter World, and Final Fantasy XV.

If they showed the top 5 im sure the next 2 would be FFVII remake and FFVIII remaster lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR94

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Having a blast with NHL 21 Be a Pro. Started me on the second line with Laf and Strome, but neither would pass me the puck (despite max teammate points), and they would block most of my shots. Eventually got promoted to the first line, and now I’m averaging three points per game. :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How was Tsushima? I had really wanted to pick it up but had recently made it through Sekiro and needed a break from that setting.

Game play was excellent and its probably the most gorgeous game I've played visually. Story lost me at times but it closed pretty strong and the side quests more than made up for any of the lower points of the story.

If you like Assassins Creed, you'll love his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad