OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Ranger Tide

Oct 13, 2016
Does watching streamers play it count? :popcorn:

It looks fun. I just don't have the time.
Of course! :laugh: Some awesome tips to be gleaned from those chads. I hear you on the time part, normally I wouldn't either, but covid and all. I reckon it will be two wipes from now before I know the maps and may be decent as a pmc. Scav runs are so much fun while learning imho.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Any fighting game fans in here? Love them all; terrible at all of them. Currently diving back int street fighter 5.

In the same boat here. Loved and played SF and Tekken since I was little, but terrible at both. I usually like individual games but there's something about the tempo of actually playing a fighting game that doesn't jive with how I want to feel when I'm playing a game, competitively or otherwise. I always read about "taking turns" but then when I watch pro matches it just seems like they go nutty and do whatever they want whenever they want 9 times out of 10. Wish I had the brain power to play Dragonball FighterZ more than anything.

Reactions: Salvage21

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
In the same boat here. Loved and played SF and Tekken since I was little, but terrible at both. I usually like individual games but there's something about the tempo of actually playing a fighting game that doesn't jive with how I want to feel when I'm playing a game, competitively or otherwise. I always read about "taking turns" but then when I watch pro matches it just seems like they go nutty and do whatever they want whenever they want 9 times out of 10. Wish I had the brain power to play Dragonball FighterZ more than anything.

Dude. Those 3v3 games are insane. I really like Marvel vs Capcom 3 - over the top fun. It seemed like DBFz looked just as awesome as that but especially if you're a fan of the series.

I get what ya mean about the general feel of playing a fighting game. It's a real slog sometimes. You continue to play matches and train, in a rinse repeat cycle, with very marginal improvement each time - long times not at all. And if you try to play competitively but the online lags....

funny though, nothing to me more satisfying in gaming than like feeling like I outsmarted the opponent in a move. Conditioning them to think I will continue to make the same move only to switch it up on them. That's the good stuff.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
If they kept track for most character deaths in a game, this would lead for me by a lot.

Did you go into the chalice dungeons?

I've ran three characters over the last year and a half. I don't remember my first character at all, generic hunter spin to win. Played through it, didn't even touch the dungeons.

Went back last February and wound up making a bl 272 and followed him up with a bl 140 church pick hunter who became my main. Which is funny cause when I got the pick with my 272 I hated it cause had the wrong build. Wow was I wrong.

The chalice dungeons I've done twice and never going back unless I am helping someone out or they release Bloodborne on Steam at 60 FPS. That said I am looking forward to Elden Ring.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Any fighting game fans in here? Love them all; terrible at all of them. Currently diving back int street fighter 5.
Used to be a huge one but lost it more recently since my arcade stuck broke. Was playing 5 and also the newest Samurai Shodown. My favorite of all time has to be The Last Blade 2. It sucks that fighting games as a whole seem to be a dying genre. Maybe I’ll get a new stick.

Reactions: Salvage21

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I've ran three characters over the last year and a half. I don't remember my first character at all, generic hunter spin to win. Played through it, didn't even touch the dungeons.

Went back last February and wound up making a bl 272 and followed him up with a bl 140 church pick hunter who became my main. Which is funny cause when I got the pick with my 272 I hated it cause had the wrong build. Wow was I wrong.

The chalice dungeons I've done twice and never going back unless I am helping someone out or they release Bloodborne on Steam at 60 FPS. That said I am looking forward to Elden Ring.
What do you think comes out first, Elden Ring or The Winds of Winter?

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Haha. Full disclosure - not into Game of Thrones.

Just spitballin' though - presumably the story for Elden Ring is either finished or close to it. Figure he goes to the book after that.

Also is From going to go the Sekiro route and tell the story or the Dark Souls/BB route and have the story and lore written into the items? Sekiro route seems more likely. I can't see them bringing him on to write item descriptions but who knows.

That said, and I am not really making a bold prediction here, Elden Ring will be GOTY when it comes out.

Whatever year that may be: )

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How was Tsushima? I had really wanted to pick it up but had recently made it through Sekiro and needed a break from that setting.
It's top notch. The whole mythical/oni side of historical Japanese culture only really appears in the online multiplayer.

The single player game is fantastic though. Visually stunning. One of the best open world adventure RPG-esque games I've played.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
So I picked up NHL 21 in the new year sale and only just made it through my first year franchise. Simmed every non-elimination game in the playoffs and ended up sweeping the Coyotes (yeah... I dunno either!?) to win the cup.

I couldn't believe who Walmart Gary Bettman handed the cup to...

... Brett Howden

Okay EA. Well played.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Used to be a huge one but lost it more recently since my arcade stuck broke. Was playing 5 and also the newest Samurai Shodown. My favorite of all time has to be The Last Blade 2. It sucks that fighting games as a whole seem to be a dying genre. Maybe I’ll get a new stick.

I really like the style of the last blade 2. I haven't been able to really figure it out as much as I have with samurai showdown 5 special. Really want to try the new one but was hoping for a steam release.

Ah, the stick is great, man. To me it feels like the way the games were meant to be played. It's part of the mastery of it all.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I really like the style of the last blade 2. I haven't been able to really figure it out as much as I have with samurai showdown 5 special. Really want to try the new one but was hoping for a steam release.

Ah, the stick is great, man. To me it feels like the way the games were meant to be played. It's part of the mastery of it all.
I just wish they weren’t so expensive. A good one can cost like 200+ which sucks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
146300122_10208348541389356_8146766690953615502_o.jpg

I'm 33rd in the world.

I love this method because while many speed-runs require luck or precise action, this one is like 95% effective which allows me to really work on the finer details.

The drawback is that the folks in the top 20 are routing it totally differently so I can only take this one so far.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So I picked up NHL 21 in the new year sale and only just made it through my first year franchise. Simmed every non-elimination game in the playoffs and ended up sweeping the Coyotes (yeah... I dunno either!?) to win the cup.

I couldn't believe who Walmart Gary Bettman handed the cup to...

... Brett Howden

Okay EA. Well played.

Mine went to Gauthier.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I just wish they weren’t so expensive. A good one can cost like 200+ which sucks.

yeah, it can be hard to justify the investment on just a controller. I’ve been using the Hori RAP4 for several years now and love it.

they do have hori ‘fight pads’ that are kind of neat. A ‘standard’ controller with a Good d pad and the big six buttons arranged on the face. Could be a good option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad