OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Favorite FF character : Cait Sith!

Psyche.

This scene was great....

9B10EFDE-0374-455C-A878-63DE0DD227DF.gif

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’m sure it’s been discussed 100x in this thread, but NHL20 is a travesty.

I know people like to complain about the year-on-year improvements. That’s the reason I stopped buying them - been playing 17 for a few years now.

My friends convinced me to get 20 play with them online and I’m startled by how terrible it is. It’s not a failure to improve the game this go-around. It’s just flat out worse.

Player movement is completely unnatural, every hit is massive and half the time it leads to a 5 player pile up. They’ve completely nuked the poke check ability, meaning it’s extremely difficult to play sound defense. The AI is also shockingly inconsistent - all of a sudden it just goes into overdrive and you can call a goal minutes before it happens.

And Snoop Dogg. f***ing Snoop Dogg. Joins the broadcast crew (who are terrible) every other game and says the exact same thing.

What a joke of a game.

Reactions: Kupo

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Been playing a lot of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne lately. I am in LOVE with M&B all over again. Love it, love it, love it.

GOG is having a big sale on the XCOM franchise. Got XCOM 2 and the War of the Chosen expansion for under $30, which is insane. Came out to a 72% discount.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I loved Vivi so much, I named my FFXI character after him. Had to settle for Vivs since Vivi was taken. Taru BLM. Even my PSN name is Vivs. :thumbu:

He deserved his own game tbh.

Not that FF IX was bad, but he was that good of a character.

Edit: If you tie Jules in the pull up minigame, it counts as a loss :laugh::doh:

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

I know people like to complain about the year-on-year improvements. That’s the reason I stopped buying them - been playing 17 for a few years now.

My friends convinced me to get 20 play with them online and I’m startled by how terrible it is. It’s not a failure to improve the game this go-around. It’s just flat out worse.

Player movement is completely unnatural, every hit is massive and half the time it leads to a 5 player pile up. They’ve completely nuked the poke check ability, meaning it’s extremely difficult to play sound defense. The AI is also shockingly inconsistent - all of a sudden it just goes into overdrive and you can call a goal minutes before it happens.

And Snoop Dogg. f***ing Snoop Dogg. Joins the broadcast crew (who are terrible) every other game and says the exact same thing.

What a joke of a game.

My club and I f***ing hate getting Snooped. The announcers ask him what he would do to make games more exciting and he responds with hip hop and a big halftime show...

Snoop... We don’t have halftimes in hockey...

EA doesn’t give a rats ass about NHL anymore. They have no competition. Instead of focusing on improving the engine and player movements, they focus on other stupid insignificant shit... Like Snoop.. Or creating a blue shade of ice when you play outdoors so you can barely spot the puck.

We can’t even fully customize our characters anymore like you could have back in the good old days.. Yet, they allow you to in FIFA. Instead, we have cookie cutter crap.

EA is garbage. They just don’t care anymore about NHL. Sadly, my club and I love hockey so much that we keep throwing our money away every year like idiots...

30F6EACE-6867-48FE-BE3D-8D816F05484A.png

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He deserved his own game tbh.

Not that FF IX was bad, but he was that good of a character.

Edit: If you tie Jules in the pull up minigame, it counts as a loss :laugh::doh:

I loved IX as much as any game in the series. I thought Steiner was especially hilarious too. When I think RPG, I think castles and villages and I think IX did a great job bringing those old school elements back.

Vivi was definitely the star of the game. It would be interesting if SE ever makes a spinoff with him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

What a joke of a game.

Had no idea what you were talking about since I bought the game in Sept...and promptly hated it 2 weeks in. So i googled Snoop Dog NHL 20 and saw they added him in????

GOOD LORD THAT IS f***ING BRUTAL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: LokiDog

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Had no idea what you were talking about since I bought the game in Sept...and promptly hated it 2 weeks in. So i googled Snoop Dog NHL 20 and saw they added him in????

GOOD LORD THAT IS f***ING BRUTAL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh wow, I didn’t know you can play as him lol.

I meant he joins the broadcast booth. And not every once in awhile, every other game. And he has about 10 lines. It’s agonizing.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I loved IX as much as any game in the series. I thought Steiner was especially hilarious too. When I think RPG, I think castles and villages and I think IX did a great job bringing those old school elements back.

Vivi was definitely the star of the game. It would be interesting if SE ever makes a spinoff with him.

I think you should end all your posts with Kupo, Kupo.

What do you think Kupo, Kupo?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

What a joke of a game.
I’m still playing NHL17. I got for 10 bucks like a year or 2 after it came out. Using the the roster manager , player edit and create a player I’ve got up do date rosters with up do date ratings. Many many hours of work but 17 I feel was the best one gameplay wise as it’s relatively realistic after messing with the sliders. I refuse buy any EA games anymore.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Cancelled my TLOU 2 pre-order. People were right, they should have never made a sequel to the first game. Later Naughty Dog, thanks for some great memories but your shop is toast after this one.

If you are planning on buying the game, just know that huge parts of the story have leaked so be wary.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Cancelled my TLOU 2 pre-order. People were right, they should have never made a sequel to the first game. Later Naughty Dog, thanks for some great memories but your shop is toast after this one.

If you are planning on buying the game, just know that huge parts of the story have leaked so be wary.
That seems pretty petty to cancel because you didnt like something from the leak. The game will still be fantastic.

The game will still one of the games of the year with millions and millions buys so it will hardly be “toast” for them.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Ehhhhhhhh...the leaks really don't make it seem like it'll be a good game. But it depends on how they execute the plot points, I guess.

Probably won't be a Top 3 GoTY, but people will shoehorn it in there because the original gets overrated. TLOU is good, but it's made out to be a masterpiece when it's really just a Tomb Raider/Uncharted game with better story but worse gameplay.

Probably not even Top 10 of the decade, tbh

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ehhhhhhhh...the leaks really don't make it seem like it'll be a good game. But it depends on how they execute the plot points, I guess.

Probably won't be a Top 3 GoTY, but people will shoehorn it in there because the original gets overrated. TLOU is good, but it's made out to be a masterpiece when it's really just a Tomb Raider/Uncharted game with better story but worse gameplay.

Probably not even Top 10 of the decade, tbh

It's got a wayyyyyy better story. The Tomb Raider games were meh for me and I loved UC 2 and 4, but they pale in comparison to TLoU.

I personally liked the game play with all of its rough edges. Joel was a worn down guy who had been dealing with his situation for 20 years, the grainy movements are consistent with a guy who has been beaten down physically/mentally over the years but I understand this criticism.

I felt like the Sequel was going to be SUPPPERRR tough to live up to the hype so I won't be at all surprised if there is an outcry of it being a let down despite still being a very good game. I felt the same way about FF7R, but the almost unanimous love really speaks to how strong of a game it is.

I'm more excited for Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk2077. Those to me are true GOTY contenders, particularly the latter.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's got a wayyyyyy better story. The Tomb Raider games were meh for me and I loved UC 2 and 4, but they pale in comparison to TLoU.

I personally liked the game play with all of its rough edges. Joel was a worn down guy who had been dealing with his situation for 20 years, the grainy movements are consistent with a guy who has been beaten down physically/mentally over the years but I understand this criticism.

I felt like the Sequel was going to be SUPPPERRR tough to live up to the hype so I won't be at all surprised if there is an outcry of it being a let down despite still being a very good game. I felt the same way about FF7R, but the almost unanimous love really speaks to how strong of a game it is.

I'm more excited for Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk2077. Those to me are true GOTY contenders, particularly the latter.
The Last of Us was an amazing game , super memorable experience that I never, ever want to play again. It’s kind of like Schindlers List. Incredible film but I never want to see it again.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Last of Us was an amazing game , super memorable experience that I never, ever want to play again. It’s kind of like Schindlers List. Incredible film but I never want to see it again.
It's EXTREMELY rare (maybe 3-4 ever?) that i replay games after beating them....TLOU was an AMAZING game, probably top 10 of all time for me, but like you i wouldn't play it again.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
TLOU2 spoilers leaking sucks. Now I'm going to have to stay off YouTube and other sites because people love to put spoilers everywhere just to mess with people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad