OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I’m in full agreement. I did not like it at all.

I’ve recently picked up Sekiro. I simultaneously love it and hate it. It’s pretty unforgiving, but very satisfying when you “figure it out”
I desperately wanted to be good at this game but I just couldn’t do it. Nioh is more my speed when it comes to Soul-likes set in feudal Japan.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So I’m getting my ass handed to me by this wrath hound in FF7 and I have no idea what to do with this combat system.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Trailer was pretty great, but the ending made me go from six to midnight in no time at all.

It is literally the tv show The Last Kingdom. They even used one of the characters from the show in it and he is voice acting it. And i couldn't be happier with that! The show is absolutely amazing and i highly recommend it on Netflix. Season 4 just dropped the other day.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It is literally the tv show The Last Kingdom. They even used one of the characters from the show in it and he is voice acting it. And i couldn't be happier with that! The show is absolutely amazing and i highly recommend it on Netflix. Season 4 just dropped the other day.

I liked the Last Kingdom but I feel like this trailer more blatantly steals everything from Vikings, which is pretty close to Last Kingdom anyway, but he looks like (Vikings’ version) Ragnar if Chris Hemsworth played him. The vision of Odin on the battlefield is a hallmark of Vikings Ragnar throughout the series and is basically the opening scene of the entire series. The village they talk about you building will essentially be Kattegat, which features in both shows but Ragnar’s (and Bjorn’s) designs for a bigger better Kattegat seem closer. Maybe that’s just my read but I thoroughly enjoyed both shows, so I won’t be disappointed if it draws from either or both, but I thought that it looked to be HEAVILY drawing on the Vikings show, so much that I almost felt like it was bordering on ripping it off entirely. I’m also a nerd over Norse mythology, culture and traditions so I’m expecting this will be one of my all time favorite games. If it’s as good as Odyssey just with the Viking setting I’ll be obsessed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I liked the Last Kingdom but I feel like this trailer more blatantly steals everything from Vikings, which is pretty close to Last Kingdom anyway, but he looks like (Vikings’ version) Ragnar if Chris Hemsworth played him. The vision of Odin on the battlefield is a hallmark of Vikings Ragnar throughout the series and is basically the opening scene of the entire series. The village they talk about you building will essentially be Kattegat, which features in both shows but Ragnar’s (and Bjorn’s) designs for a bigger better Kattegat seem closer. Maybe that’s just my read but I thoroughly enjoyed both shows, so I won’t be disappointed if it draws from either or both, but I thought that it looked to be HEAVILY drawing on the Vikings show, so much that I almost felt like it was bordering on ripping it off entirely. I’m also a nerd over Norse mythology, culture and traditions so I’m expecting this will be one of my all time favorite games. If it’s as good as Odyssey just with the Viking setting I’ll be obsessed.
Never saw Vikings, but did they have King Alfred in it? He is a huge part of The Last Kingdom and looks to be a huge part in this game as well.

edit - i see they do. Maybe I should look into watching Vikings too...do you think i'd like it since i like The Last Kingdom?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Never saw Vikings, but did they have King Alfred in it? He is a huge part of The Last Kingdom and looks to be a huge part in this game as well.

edit - i see they do. Maybe I should look into watching Vikings too...do you think i'd like it since i like The Last Kingdom?

Yeah, they had Alfred. The shows take place at virtually the same time and they’re based on the true history of the time. I think you’d end up liking Vikings more. I loved Last Kingdom because I love viking lore in general but to me Last Kingdom felt like a made for TV version of an Oscar winner, with Vikings being the Oscar winner. But not because Last Kingdom was bad just because Vikings, especially as the seasons go on the production quality ramps up, was that good.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So since Hard mode is too hard for my scrub ass, but I still have that FF itch, I started playing the FFVIII remaster. And man, what a fun game but I did not remember the dialogue being so damn stupid lmao. This game could definitely use a remake. The world and story are good but the stuff that comes out of these characters' mouths, cringeworthy at times.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So since Hard mode is too hard for my scrub ass, but I still have that FF itch, I started playing the FFVIII remaster. And man, what a fun game but I did not remember the dialogue being so damn stupid lmao. This game could definitely use a remake. The world and story are good but the stuff that comes out of these characters' mouths, cringeworthy at times.

i went back and fought the hell house on Hard mode.

I f***ed it up. Granted my materia and weapons are much better now but it was an easy fight.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

you have to try and max out your materia. Do the best to develop your weapons and make sure everyone learns their abilities. Some of them truly change the battle. I also elemental at max will absorb elemental spells you link it with or use it as an attack buff.

I also made sure everyone has a revival materia on Max, and ability to heal either through healing or pray materia. I learned how to farm unlimited MP. Find a crate with MP break it down, save the game, reload and it will regenerate. Unlimited. So would use magic more in battles when I really need it. The elemental spells are huge against some bosses to help stagger them.

Oh and make sure you get all the better limit breaks from Corneo’s arena. Clouds ascension could finish a boss off with 25-30% HP remaining.

Anyway just need to do the final chapter on hard mode.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What was your Materia setup with your party?

aerith has one of each element with an elemental on wind and mp absorb on bolt.

hp up, mp up, magic up and first strike.

cloud had fire and ice with fire on the sword along with the other support shit.

used the hard edge and silver staff. Make sure you learn arcane ward.

Reactions: Leonardo87 and Kupo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just finished FF VII remake on hard mode. Holy crap was that hard. 95 hours of play, I think I got every last bit out of this game.

So um when is Part 2 coming out?

Holiday season 2022.

It'll cover the game up to the Cosmo Canyon section and everyone will flip out over it being "too short", the game play will blow everyone away and then they will do something crazy at the end that will divide the audience while confusing all of them.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Holiday season 2022.

It'll cover the game up to the Cosmo Canyon section and everyone will flip out over it being "too short", the game play will blow everyone away and then they will do something crazy at the end that will divide the audience while confusing all of them.

The game was chugging along great, till that last chapter where they decided to just go off the rails and give a big middle finger to the original plot of the game. Like I said before could turn out to be brilliant or a complete mess.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The game was chugging along great, till that last chapter where they decided to just go off the rails and give a big middle finger to the original plot of the game. Like I said before could turn out to be brilliant or a complete mess.
I think they did that to set up the possibility of saving Aerith. Which I think is a good idea. They made her such a great and loveable character in the remake , her death is going to be absolutely devastating, far worse than in the original.
They also did it so they can include Zack, who obviously wasn’t on the original. People need to realize that a lot of FF7 material has been released since 1997, they just aren’t remaking the first game, they want to include the whole FF7 compilation.

A third thing is that they needed a real final boss for this installment. “Saving” Sephiroth for the next or even the third game years down the line wasn’t an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad