OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Speaking of NHL 21, by gawd, why are the announcers so friggin' terrible?

Bring back Gary Thorne or at least Emrick.

It almost might make me decline to purchase the game. They are that bad.

The announcers are god awful. I get the commentary had gotten stale but going away from the NBC package to what they have now was one of the biggest downgrades ever.

That said, I’ve been playing the EA Access trial and while not a lot has changed... I am loath to admit the game feels better. AI feels better, skating feels a lot better, overall it feels like the same game but the most fine tuned it’s ever been. I know that can all change with a day 1 patch that ruins everything, but I’m actually having more fun with the 21 trial than I ever had with 18-20.

Also, I was smart enough to move Lafreniere to the NYR roster before starting a BAP, so when I got drafted first overall as a LHD stud by NYR, I joined a team that had Laf on board. Needless to say, me, Alexis and Artemi are racking up serious numbers.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
The announcers are god awful. I get the commentary had gotten stale but going away from the NBC package to what they have now was one of the biggest downgrades ever.

That said, I’ve been playing the EA Access trial and while not a lot has changed... I am loath to admit the game feels better. AI feels better, skating feels a lot better, overall it feels like the same game but the most fine tuned it’s ever been. I know that can all change with a day 1 patch that ruins everything, but I’m actually having more fun with the 21 trial than I ever had with 18-20.

Also, I was smart enough to move Lafreniere to the NYR roster before starting a BAP, so when I got drafted first overall as a LHD stud by NYR, I joined a team that had Laf on board. Needless to say, me, Alexis and Artemi are racking up serious numbers.

I decided to start in Rimouski and play for the Memorial cup. I play on All-star/Full Sim and games were close, but me and Alexis carried the team to the title. As a PF Center my shot was bad, but I loaded up Assists when I got bumped to his line. Was projected 1OA but bombed my interview with NY and got drafted by LA.... Some of the dialogue options make no sense. They were asking me if I was close with my parents, but the "Super Star" option was yes and for some reason they didn't like that!

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I decided to start in Rimouski and play for the Memorial cup. I play on All-star/Full Sim and games were close, but me and Alexis carried the team to the title. As a PF Center my shot was bad, but I loaded up Assists when I got bumped to his line. Was projected 1OA but bombed my interview with NY and got drafted by LA.... Some of the dialogue options make no sense. They were asking me if I was close with my parents, but the "Super Star" option was yes and for some reason they didn't like that!

Yeah, I noticed that some of the dialogue stuff is pretty crappy. The draft interview stuff stood out. My first time through the Memorial Cup I was projected #1 but apparently did better with my LA interview than NY and ended up drafted by LA. I started over and got taken by NY, but like I said I’d already moved Laf to NYR and made most of the current roster moves.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
Since it is that time of year: if any of you guys are on PC and happen to enjoy horror: Phasmophobia is very popular right now and for good reason.

Tons of fun if you have even one friend to play with. Not a fast paced game at all, more like a game of Clue where you have to investigate haunted homes and buildings to piece together what type of ghost you are searching for.

Game is actually scary, and if you have VR it's got potential to be even scarier. Highly recommend for the price tag ($14 on Steam).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Right now the commentary is the only real criticism I have of the game. Overall I like the package.

The challenge is that I don’t want to start a franchise until the roster update is in. Even then it’s hard because quite a few AHL kids haven’t started yet.

Reactions: LokiDog

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
One thing I'll say, while EA game usually don't fix what needs to be fixed, this facial scans are AMAZING. That Fox one is veering into uncanny valley areas.

Should be interesting to see what the improved textures will look like when they upgrade the graphics for the next gen consoles next year.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why do Laf and Kakko look like they had just been told they'd be playing 20+ minutes a night with JMFJ on their unit. Also the last one looks more like Brian Leetch's love child with Gary Roberts.

Capturing the expressions is hard because the players are moving while you're in the edit screen. So they're blinking, swaying, moving their mouths, etc.

That's why sometimes you get someone who looks like their GF just told them she's pregnant.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCProdigy

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Pretty shocked that Cale Makar has a really bad generic face. Fox looks great, Laf looks good. Bummed that Mika and Trouba have short hair.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pretty shocked that Cale Makar has a really bad generic face. Fox looks great, Laf looks good. Bummed that Mika and Trouba have short hair.

My guess is that they didn't have a chance to get as many scans in as years past and are partially focused on getting next gen running.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My guess is that they didn't have a chance to get as many scans in as years past and are partially focused on getting next gen running.

I’m sure that’s the case, though they’ve been pretty slow with adding scans over the recent years. And I do think the design team could do longer hair textures without a new face scan. Spruce up some older renderings without a lot of assets being invested. But also, Makar’s face is just really bad. There’s generic faces in the game that would be adequate; sometimes I really wish they’d let you switch to a different generic face ID for guys who don’t have scans.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’m sure that’s the case, though they’ve been pretty slow with adding scans over the recent years. And I do think the design team could do longer hair textures without a new face scan. Spruce up some older renderings without a lot of assets being invested. But also, Makar’s face is just really bad. There’s generic faces in the game that would be adequate; sometimes I really wish they’d let you switch to a different generic face ID for guys who don’t have scans.

Unfortunately it's a combination of two factors:

1. EA Sports really could use some competition.

2. I've been told the NHL series supposedly isn't enough of a monkey maker that they want to really put investment dollars into it.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Unfortunately it's a combination of two factors:

1. EA Sports really could use some competition.

2. I've been told the NHL series supposedly isn't enough of a monkey maker that they want to really put investment dollars into it.

I know, it’s been the perennial disappointment for me. Don’t play much video games these days but always pick up NHL. Always expect pretty much the same game without much improvement, but cross my fingers for something small like better generic faces or an uptick in scans, just to make it more immersive. Never happens, never surprised.

I have to say though, the skating and AI feel better this year, in subtle but noticeable ways and it actually feels like the best playing NHL game to me right now, so those things like faces are less disappointing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know, it’s been the perennial disappointment for me. Don’t play much video games these days but always pick up NHL. Always expect pretty much the same game without much improvement, but cross my fingers for something small like better generic faces or an uptick in scans, just to make it more immersive. Never happens, never surprised.

I have to say though, the skating and AI feel better this year, in subtle but noticeable ways and it actually feels like the best playing NHL game to me right now, so those things like faces are less disappointing.

Personally, for me the draw is building a franchise with the Rangers. When I was a kid, I'd always trade for the young prospects of other teams.

Now they're already there.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Competition is a good thing. IMO the best EA NHL game ever (NHL 2004) came at a time when there was a competing franchise as did the best NFL game (ESPN NFL2k5). Early-mid 2000s was a special time for gaming.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Competition is a good thing. IMO the best EA NHL game ever (NHL 2004) came at a time when there was a competing franchise as did the best NFL game (ESPN NFL2k5). Early-mid 2000s was a special time for gaming.

Competition is why I never root for one console over another, or a car manufacturer, etc.

I want companies competing for my business.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Personally, for me the draw is building a franchise with the Rangers. When I was a kid, I'd always trade for the young prospects of other teams.

Now they're already there.

True, except still have the opportunity to add a couple young franchise centers.

I wonder which ones are acquirable through the game’s trade logic.... Zegras, Newhook, Glass, Byfield, Stutzle.... I’ll be testing all of that first thing. Maybe even Eichel!

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Made a few interesting trades in a new FHM game today:

Panarin - Zib - Teravainen (50%)
Gaudreau (50%) - Monahan (50%) - Kakko
Chytil - Lindholm (50%) - Nylander (50%)
Lemieux - McK - Gauthier

Slavin (50%) - Fox
Hughes - Barrie
Hanifin (50%) - Trouba

Shesterkin
Georgiev

Trade summary:
Kreider, Buch, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, Staal, ADA, Strome, Andersson, Hajek, Fast, 2020 3rd, 2021 3rd, 2022 3rd, 2021 4th, 2022 5th

For

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Quinn Hughes, Barrie, Nylander, Hanifin, Slavin.

Did I just fleece the AI or am I nuts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad